• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Blue Rock Thrush? (1 Viewer)

deanscroft

Hello everyone - I´m new to the forum having just found it while trying to identify a bird I saw yesterday in my friends garden. Can anyone help please.

My friend lives at the Pollenca end of the Tenelles Valley on Mallorca. For two weeks he has had the single bird around this villa both in the trees and on the ground. It is about the size of a pigeon but vivid in colour. The back and wings are an electric green/blue, blue front, dark face with orange eyes. We were convinced it was a Blue Rock Thrush until I searched the net to find that the Thrush has a dark eye.

Can anyone suggest what it might be?

Deanscroft

sounds like it could be a Rufous tailed Rockthrush instead of Blue Rockthrush...., just read Dimitris post, that sounds better than my suggestion!!

Last edited:
Here's a male and female Blue Rock Thrush.

Attachments

• Blue Rock Thrush.jpg
    Blue Rock Thrush.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 132
  • Blue Rock Thrush female.jpg
    Blue Rock Thrush female.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 131
Unfortunately Dong Bei's lovely photo shows an Asiatic race of Blue Rock Thrush - oursdoesn't show orange below. Besides the description is quite wrong for Blue Rock thrush - too large and the wrong colour (eyes & plumage). I think an escapee of some sort is more likely and that Dimitris could well be spot on here,

Many thanks everyone who replied. Dimitris has got it right - definitely a Glossy Starling. Does anyone have any further information on how frequent or otherwise do they visit Spain and Mallorca in particular.

Only as escapees afaik. There have been a few reported in the Balearics in the last few years, none of them believed to have a wild origin.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back