• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Riverside Nature Park, Dundee. (1 Viewer)

below is a record shot of the eider pair,this is the furthest up river i have seen them in june,probably non breeders/predated

Attachments

• eiders.jpg
    eiders.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 129
Had I been at the park this morning just after 9am, instead of on a bus heading into Invergowrie, I would have had another addition to the list, as a small flock of Canada Geese flew over Invergowrie towards the river/Kingoodie. They would have been clearly visible from the hide and anywhere along the western edge of the park. Tempted to put them on the list, but I suppose as I wasn't in the park when I saw them, I suppose I really shouldn't. Hopefully get them (properly) soon though.

Popped into the park later in the afternoon on my way back from a very productive outing to Errol and the Tay reedbeds. Tide was well out. Increasing numbers of Shelduck around. No sign of Little Gull or Terns. One Curlew and a few Oystercatchers the only waders. 22 species in all seen in what was a brief visit because of the rain.

Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Common Gull, Cormorant, Curlew, Greenfinch, Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Linnet, Long Tailed Tit, Mallard (and ducklings), Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Feral Pigeon, Shelduck, Swallow, Woodpigeon and Yellowhammer. Whitethroat and Blackcap both heard.

If anyone is in the area tomorrow morning, pop in to the park at 11am for the unveiling of the information plinths on the hill. There are a couple of guided walks planned too.

Had a quick visit after work last night (Thursday) but as the tide state was "wrong" I didn't see too much in the bay. No sign of any of the recent "good" birds, with only 23 species seen overall. Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Herring Gull, House Martin, Jackdaw, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Lesser Redpoll, Linnet, Long tailed Tit, Mallard, Oystercatcher, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Shelduck, Starling, Swallow, Swift and Woodpigeon. May pop down early tomorrow to try and catch the Canada Geese if they are around, to get the list to 93 species before Monday (year anniversary of the park opening).

Last edited:
Well, the park made the news today, with an article in The Courier about a big bird "attacking" a jogger.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Du...-a-sprint-for-runner-attacked-by-buzzard.html

The bird in question IS a Buzzard which appears to be protective of young around the area where the paths split at the eastern end of the park. The adult bird had a few feints/mini-swoops at me on Thursday in this area, but talons were kept in and she(?) did stay up a bit, though I did think it prudent to keep moving just in case. If you are around this area of the park, just keep moving but keep your eyes open - the adult can sometimes be seen perched in the tree tops around here - if you do see it perched here, it may be worthwhile/safer to enter the park from the other end or by the car park, thus giving the Buzzards sufficient space.

I would guess that the Buzzards have nested in this area for a few years but with the increase in people through the area close to the nest site, the parents are feeling a bit more stressed this year leading to incidents like those in the article.

Popped down to the park for the plinth unveiling, and despite the intermittent rain it was well attended. Had a wander round on my own to see what I could see before the tide got all the way in. Good numbers of Mallards moulting into eclipse plumage in front of the hide, along with quite a few Shelduck and the lone Tufted Duck drake. Only the three species of Gull - Black Headed, Herring and Lesser Black Backeds. Sandwich Terns are on the increase with at least six today in the bay, their distinctive calls making them easy to spot out over the water. A pair of Mute Swans also in the bay, with another pair at the Lochan. The only waders around were Oystercatchers. Also a few Carrion Crows and Feral Pigeons on the pipe.

The Buzzard was perched on an evergreen when I came into the park, but it flew off over the trees and I lost sight of it, but there was no "attack" on me, though I did keep a constant look-out while in its area, and passed through quickly just in case. Good numbers of Swifts and a few Swallows hunting over the field where the Lochan is. Skylarks were very noticable rising into the sky on their song flights despite the inclement conditions.

Smaller birds seen were a few Blackbirds, Chaffinches, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, a fly-over Grey Wagtail, House Sparrow, Lesser Redpoll (display flights and one which perched close enough for a decent photo), Song Thrush, Willow Warbler and Yellowhammer.

No sign of the Canada Geese, so unless something shows up tomorrow, the list for the first year of the park will stay at 92 species.

Hi Stonefaction, I'm down in Dundee next week and might pop in for a snoop around the reserve. Is it signposted and is there a car park?

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave

You'll find directions on the Opus article, also a map link. Looking at the map, don't be fooled thinking you can access from the mini-roundabout, that road is gated.

I can't remember if there's a sign, perhaps Barry or Kawwauser can advise on that and yes, there's a car park - where the arrow points to on the map.

Hi Dave

If you are travelling by car westwards past the airport, you come to a roundabout, go straight on and on the left hand side you will see a footpath edged with small-ish trees/bushes. At the end of this stretch of trees there is a left turn in towards the park. I think it probably is signposted to some extent, if not then I'm sure that the "dump" is, in some form (recycling?). The park is right next door. Follow the road round and the car park is straight ahead (turn right takes you into the dump).
If you are coming from the west, drive past Invergowrie and when you get a glimpse of the river the park is on your right. The road in is on your right (you'll see a line of trees where the junction is).
It is also possible to park in Invergowrie and walk in from the western end (you can view the bay a bit better where the path rises up to meet the road).

If you walk (north)eastwards from the car park, watch out for the bad-tempered Buzzard.

Any other questions, just ask. :)

I should have added, the best time to visit is when the tide is either almost all the way in, or on its way back out (maybe +/-90-120mins either side of high tide), meaning the birds in the bay can be seen from around the hide. When the tide is fully out the birds are dots out in the estuary, and later in the day the sun can cause a few problems by being in your face. The rest of the park can seem very quiet, though if you take your time you will generally see between 20 and 40 species. Hope you have a successful visit.

i walked around the park 10.30 am today,there are 3 signs on the main road opposite the road leading to the car park,i have never noticed these signs maybe they are new,i haven,t seen the buzzard for over a week,greenfich/goldfinch/chaffinch/woodpigeon/blackbird in the car park trees ,a greenfinch was carrying food,plenty of swifts flying,willow warblers heading towards the hide,1 whitethroat to the left of the hide,the tide was half in and there was a lot of birds in the bay mostly gulls,black headed gulls were very numerous today,some herring and lesser black backed gulls were resting,shellduck numbers were also up but still no youngsters seen,heron/jackdaws/carrioncrows/cormorants/mallards/oystercatchers/1 mute swan between the hide and the earth viewing point,1 meadow pippit and more goldfinches around by the scree area,several seals far out in the bay and quite a few bunnies about

Attachments

• rnp1.JPG
    rnp1.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 107
  • greenfinch6.JPG
    greenfinch6.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 124
I popped in after work for a wee wander round, as the tide was coming in, although most of the birds were still quite far out. The foliage all round the park is springing up, blocking the view from around the hide to a larger degree. Looks like the best place to view birds between the pipe and the park is from up on the bridge over the railway line. The waders seem to be creeping back in, with more Oystercatchers than of late, plus 3 or 4 Curlews, and 3 Redshanks. Had 5 species of gull - Lesser Black backed and Herring Gull bathing and on the pipe, Black Headed Gulls in good numbers, a few Common Gulls and 1 Great Black Backed out in the river. Around half a dozen Sandwich Terns perched on rocks at the far side of the mud. Quite a lot of Mallards, 1 Mute Swan and a few Shelduck family parties/creches (20+ youngsters in total). Carrion Crow and Feral Pigeon were around in their usual spots in front of the hide on the pipe and on the mud.

A Grey Heron flew out and round towards the airport from somewhere unseen below the trees. Two Cormorants were out at the end of the pipe.
As I approached the park, I spotted a Peregrine flying westwards over the park, so I snapped a photo, and saw that it was carrying prey. First time I've seen the local Peregrine with prey here. I did hear the Buzzard mewing when I was in that half of the park, but I managed to walk past the territory without incident.

A few Swifts, 1 Swallow and 2 House Martins were the total for insect hunters over the park. Chaffinches were few and far between unusually, with Goldfinch (including young) being the most numerous finch. One Lesser Redpoll was perched atop a tree but was chased off by a Chaffinch. A few vocal Blackbirds around near the car park, and 3 Jackdaws and a Pied Wagtail overflew. One Skylark lifted from near the top of the hill for a short song flight, and a small family group of Yellowhammers were in the compost area. Woodpigeon, Starling, Song Thrush and Whitethroat complete the list for today's visit.
Young birds seen were the aforementioned Shelducks, Goldfinch, Whitethroat and 3 young Carrion Crows being fed by an adult on the logs beside the horses.

Surprisingly few butterflies around, - one (distantly seen) White and one Red Admiral being the only ones I spotted despite the sunshine. A small unidentified moth was feeding on the ox-eye daisies (I think that's what they're called) near the car park. Bumble bees of a few different species were feeding around, especially in the clover near the bay.

I don't often pay much attention to plants, but two flowers caught my eye - one which I knew the name of - Northern Marsh Orchid (or very similar, anyway) near the western entrance, and Viper's Bugloss (ID'd later from a photo). A third plant was rather noticable too. Unfortunately it was Giant Hogweed, there being a few plants near the junction of paths at the western end east of the hide, and another by the small viewing point overlooking the bay. I've emailed the Countryside Rangers, so hopefully they will know the right folk to notify to eradicate this before it gets out of control (there does appear to be a patch of it on the other side of the compost area, which is probably where the seeds have come from).

26 shellduck youngters with 2 adults feeding on the mud tonight,the youngsters looked like small waders running around feeding,sandwich terns seen resting and flying over the car park,oystercatchers and 1 curlew plus 3 mutes (adults)in the bay with 2 lssb gulls /bh gulls /mallards,a kestrel glided by at the hide,not a single bird in front of the hide but it did look like we were about to get some serious rain,only small birds seen were whitethroat/blackbird /swift, carrion crows/woodpigeons flying around and linnet/yellowhammer heard

Attachments

• IMG_9088.JPG
    IMG_9088.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_9091.JPG
    IMG_9091.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_9095.JPG
    IMG_9095.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_9096.JPG
    IMG_9096.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 117
i was in the vicinty of the park at 3.50 am saturday after my shift and had a drive up to the car park(didn,t get out car)bats were flying near the trees at the junction where the signs are (not sure if they were recorded during the bioblitz)rabbits everywhere,a fox was enjoying some recent roadkill,blackbirds were starting their dawn corus,i was almost tempted to do a complete walk of the park listening to them but after driving for 10 hours i just wasn,t up to it

I spent Sunday morning and early afternoon at the park in the hope of adding something new to the parklist, but unfortunately managed to add nothing new. Highlight was a fox walking across the path and into the long grass down at the "fields". I snapped a photo as it appeared in the open briefly but somehow it must have heard the shutter click and it stopped and looked right at me, before running off through the grass.
The wader numbers have increased slightly with 5 Redshanks back in the bay, Oystercatchers and Curlews being the other waders seen. What sounded like a Common Sandpiper was heard but not seen towards the outer edges of the bay.
5 Buzzards were circling to the north of the park on a thermal at one point, including at least 2 birds from the "nest site" trees. Other birds seen were Blackbird, Blackcap, Black Headed Gull, Carrion Crow (some of which appeared to be digging at an ant's nest), Chaffinch, Cormorant, Curlew, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Great Black Backed Gull, Greenfinch, Herring Gull, House Martin, Jackdaw, Kestrel (hunting in front of the hide), Lesser Black Backed Gull, Linnet, Mallard, Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail, Sandwich Tern, Shelduck, Skylark, Song Thrush, swallow, Swift, Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Woodpigeon, Yellowhammer.

Another birder I know saw a Grey Wagtail, but I managed to miss that one.

The Giant Hogweed is increasing its presence though a few bits appeared to have been rather crudely cut down. Haven't heard anything back from the Countryside Rangers who I emailed about it, so not sure if they were behind the cutting down, or not. I know they do read this though, so fingers crossed the issue is in hand.

Another negative to the park situation in the park is the presence in the car park of some "travellers" who have apparently set up camp here, according to The Courier. As it is council ground they were to be served notice to move on. Hopefully they will without leaving a similar mess to another travellers' group that set up camp further east in one of the car parks of the industrial units last year.

Attachments

• 7480881312_dc6afaf609.jpg
    7480881312_dc6afaf609.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 7480885486_06c7a4d0f7.jpg
    7480885486_06c7a4d0f7.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 7480885908_21500e1d78.jpg
    7480885908_21500e1d78.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 7480889470_c9fda89846.jpg
    7480889470_c9fda89846.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
the travellers are still in the car park,i drove in the car park and had to do a bit of turning to get back out i then went and parked around near the main road,a vehicle behind me did the same,the shellducks with the youngsters were feeding again and im sure there is still 26,the swifts and house martins were flying very low (8.00pm)

Attachments

• trv2.JPG
    trv2.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 123
Thankfully the travellers have moved on from their car park pitch, so I popped into the park after work last night to see what was around. There are flocks of waders again - Lapwing and Oystercatcher mainly, with some Redshanks also around, and one Curlew. At least 2 Common Sandpipers also, heard more than seen, but seen a few times. two Cormorants perched on the pipe. Quite a lot of Mallards on the water, but only one Shelduck seen. Two Mute Swans and Black Headed, Lesser and Greater Black Backed Gulls and Herring Gulls plus a few Carrion Crows, Jackdaws and Feral Pigeons made up the rest of the birds in the bay list (didn't hear and Sandwich Terns, but there may have been a few roosting on rocks across the bay but the light wasn't great for picking anything out at distance with just binoculars.

Spotted the Buzzard as I entered the park but rather than fly towards me, she flew back into the trees and I didn't see her again, though there was one circling over the trees at Ninewells later. No other raptors over the park, though I saw a very distant raptor-like behaviour above Ninewells (suspect Sparrowhawk).

Smaller birds were harder to see but there were a few Goldfinches, Blue Tits, Blackbirds, Chaffinches, Pied Wagtail, Starling and Yellowhammer. A few Woodpigeons were also around in the trees and on the ground at the eastern end. A few Swifts were towards the western end, and a couple of Swallows hunting near the dump.

A wee afternoon trip to an overcast and windy park today. Only 26 species seen overall.
Blackbird - a couple at eastern end. Black Headed Gull - quite a lot in the bay, mostly out on mud at far side. Black Tailed Godwit - one flew in and landed on mud. Buzzard - one flew out from nest site area, and another (youngster?) mewed from the trees. Carrion Crow - small numbers around (3 in one family group). Chaffinch - a couple of birds "pinking". Common Sandpiper - at least 20 in the bay as the tide came in, with 8 together near high tide in front of the hide. Curlew - 2 or 3 in the bay.

Dipper - a juvenile on the burn in front of the hide. Goldfinch - one seen north of the car park. Herring Gull - good numbers in the bay. Jackdaw - a few in the bay. Lapwing - a flock of around 20 flew in as the tide came in. Lesser Black Backed Gull - as usual good numbers at the bathing site. Linnet - 1 at the compost site.

Mallard - two large-ish groups in the bay (jncluding one white-winged bird). Mute Swan - 2 in the bay. Oystercatcher - a few around in the bay. Redshank - probably the most numerous wader today with around 50 or so. Feral Pigeon - small numbers on pipe. Sandwich Tern - one seen overflying eastern end of park (towards factory roost), though more suspected at far side of the bay. Shelduck - 2 seen in bay. Swallow - 1 hunting around the car park. Whitethroat - one near the hide. Woodpigeon - a few pairs overflew. Yellowhammer - 1 singing near the lochan.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I had a close encounter with the Fox. I came out from behind some vegetation to find the Fox at the far side of the path, not too far from the hide, about 15 feet away from me. Needless to say before I even got my hands on the camera, it had ran back across the path and into cover.

Last edited:
A lovely day for an after work visit. The vegetation is making viewing birds in the bay difficult, but the wader numbers are sneaking upwards again. At least 10 Common Sandpipers visible at one time, but may have been more. Redshank, Curlew, Oystercatcher and Lapwing being the other waders. No sign of Dunlin yet.

Black Headed, Common, Herring and Lesser Black Backed Gulls plus an adult and juvenile Sandwich Tern around the bay, with quite a lot of coming and going from the gull flock. A couple of Cormorants out at the end of the pipe and a large flock of Mallards just offshore coming in on the tide (also 3 on the Lochan). Other birds in the bay were Feral Pigeon, Jackdaw and Carrion Crow.

A few Swallows and House Martins hawking for insects over the compost area, and a Swift towards the main road near the hide end. Only 1 Buzzard seen, sat on a pole by the entrance to the industrial units at the eastern end. Woodpigeons were around as always.

Smaller birds were few and far between. Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Linnet, Skylark and Starling being seen in very small numbers (3 being the largest single group).

A few more butterflies around today - Small Tortoiseshell and Meadow Brown being the most noticable, though there was at least one White, and 1 dragonfly (suspected Common Darter) was on the path by the Lochan but flew off before I got a decent view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back