• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colour Ringed Curlew (1 Viewer)

tmurray

Ireland
Dear all,
I am trying to trace the origin of this curlew I seen yesterday, but I cant quite get the correct fit from http://www.cr-birding.org/

Left Leg – Orange above knee, orange over white below knee
Right Leg – Black over Green above knee, either unringed or metal only below knee

I hope someone can point me in correct direction, I seen the bird well, so happy with the read.

I have found the best thing is just to submit a sighting on Euring website and then await a reply.

I had two curlews like this - no fit on cr-birding, but eventually a follow up from Euring.

One was a Wales scheme and the other German.

Mick

There are a lot of wader ringing schemes that are not covered by the cr-birding.org site for some reason, and if I get a combo that does not fit anything and I have the time to spare (it is not quick) then I look at schemes on the International Wader Study Group website. Usually find what I am looking for, but don't always get a reply.

Steve

There are a lot of wader ringing schemes that are not covered by the cr-birding.org site for some reason, and if I get a combo that does not fit anything and I have the time to spare (it is not quick) then I look at schemes on the International Wader Study Group website. Usually find what I am looking for, but don't always get a reply.

Steve

Might try that Steve

Dear all,
I am trying to trace the origin of this curlew I seen yesterday, but I cant quite get the correct fit from http://www.cr-birding.org/

Left Leg – Orange above knee, orange over white below knee
Right Leg – Black over Green above knee, either unringed or metal only below knee

I hope someone can point me in correct direction, I seen the bird well, so happy with the read.

Combination sounds very similar to those used for Curlew in my area. Several hundred ringed over the last 30 yrs or so on Seal Sands. The metal ring is usually obscured by the colour ring. Five un-coded colour rings are used.

I regularly send in sightings.

Large white on left tarsus is the scheme identifier with two colour rings on each leg/tibia above the knee. They do occasionally slip down though. If it had been GN instead of NG on right leg I'd have definitely said it was one of his as GN was used in 2012. The right leg combo varies year to year.

I'd certainly send an email to the coordinator Robin Ward - he's very helpful - [email protected]

Combination sounds very similar to those used for Curlew in my area. Several hundred ringed over the last 30 yrs or so on Seal Sands. The metal ring is usually obscured by the colour ring. Five un-coded colour rings are used.

I regularly send in sightings.

Large white on left tarsus is the scheme identifier with two colour rings on each leg/tibia above the knee. They do occasionally slip down though. If it had been GN instead of NG on right leg I'd have definitely said it was one of his as GN was used in 2012. The right leg combo varies year to year.

I'd certainly send an email to the coordinator Robin Ward - he's very helpful - [email protected]

Thanks for that If I dont hear back from anyone I will email him so, cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back