• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winter Birding (Feb 2016), Catalonia / Aragon, Spain (1 Viewer)

Stephen C

A trip report from February 2016 in case anyone is planning to head out for a late self-birding Winter break in Catalonia and Aragon between now and early March.

The area is well-served by a great transport network, endless information on the internet, three airports (including Barcelona) and you can follow key sightings on Twitter (@SpainBirdTours).

As a bonus the area is currently enjoying several overwintering vagrants such as Desert Wheatear, Sociable Lapwing (on the EBRO DELTA) and Hume's Warbler (in BARCELONA). Happy to supply details.

15 - 18 February 2016

DAY 1 - PYRENEES - 15 February 2016

April, Bill and Derek had visited me for 8 days in Spring 2015 and, as their Spring targets were acquired (plus a bonus vagrant Moussier’s Redstart on the Ebro Delta), they promised to return with their friend Paul the following Winter to pick up a full set of seasonal lifers.

We get wintering Wallcreeper in the Garraf and so, with everyone already ensconced in a hotel in Sitges - which is in the Garraf - you might wonder why I collected them at 0630 to head off north to the PYRENEES! Well it’s a matter of predictability and, as I stepped out of the lovely warm glow of the car into the face-shock of the freezing mountain air at 0805, so confident was I that my reliable little friend would show that I pointed to the adjacent cliff, mumbled something like ‘keep looking up there’ and made a beeline to the boot for my flask of hot coffee.

But over-confidence can be a bitch. Best laid plans and all that. Clearly I had over-estimated my chances and, literally as I brought the cup to my lips and felt the steam hit my nose, Paul shouted ‘Wallcreeper!’ and I didn’t get a single sip!

Approaching from its usual direction, it landed top left, clearly its roost not too far away as the first rays of golden sunlight were only just warming the very tip of the cliff. I looked on jealously awaiting its descent (the warmth not the Wallcreeper) and, in the dull light, it took us a minute or so to get everyone on the bird, scuttling and wing-flapping its way, right, across the rock face.

As it happened, we needn’t have been quite so panicky as we watched it in progressively better light for more than half-an-hour, working its way right, leaning into crevices, stopping under a ledge to gobble up some kind of rock caterpillar and, at one point, as they often do, make like a Spotted Flycatcher and dart out to snatch up an airborne insect before returning to more or less the same spot.

As most of this was close enough not to bother with my binoculars, it left my hands free of course, which meant I could nip back to the car and, as the group watched the bird finally disappear low behind an open leafless tree on an adjacent rock further up the track, my freezing fingers tipped the last sip of cold coffee into my down-turned mouth. We guides do suffer.

But not for long! Soon the sun was out in full and, just 15 minutes further up the track we arrived at a long-time favourite haunt of our second target. As we feasted on exactly a dozen Alpine Accentor edging their way picking up invisible morsels along the track-side, we had plenty of time to glean a few other titbits ourselves. Crested, Coal, Long-tailed and Great titbits to be precise. There was a single Rock Bunting about too and several Red-billed Chough, Griffon Vultures and Common Raven circled overhead.

In the mid-distance an Iberian Woodpecker (Picus sharpei or P. viridis sharpei), was watched scaling and picking at the sides of a huge rock as if it were a tree trunk. I’ve witnessed this behaviour before in this species, and on concrete telegraph poles too, but not that I recall in the Green Woodpecker (P. viridis viridis). Perhaps someone has something to add?

Wow! As we hit the top of the valley and drove into an open pass some 20 kilometres further, and 800m higher, up the mountain we, in turn, were hit by a vast, blast of snow-blowing wind. We’re not getting out in that!

“We’re not getting out in that!” is what I was about to say but, suitably, as this day was fast turning into an all-you-can-eat bird-buffet, a single White-winged Snowfinch was thrown over the bonnet of the car and disappeared into the void behind us.

“Anybody tick that? No?”

Never afraid to drive into the void for a client (Note to self: reconsider this) I instinctively reached for the reverse gear when another two birds were thrown over the bonnet after it. This time, however, they appeared to be slapped down, onto the low bank beside the car and… well, they just sat there, not 5m away, under a snow-covered bush. We rolled down the port-side windows and, for a few minutes, marvelled in a fabulous, fabulous little bird - and its simply ridiculous choice of habitat.

It’s not always like this of course.

It was 1030 and we’d already had spectacular views of all three of the group’s three target birds.

“Why did we book four days?”, asked April. “Shhh.”

We decided to leave the higher peaks for a possible return in a couple of days and spent the rest of the day out of the wind, exploring the forest and fields at lower levels to add some trip birds. Not least of these was a stop-off for a party of Red Crossbill, a lifer for someone, and a good few minutes at the village river with one of my all time favourites who always gives you something to watch, White-throated Dipper.

As photos are always nice, I've attached a few from the same route, at the same time of year and, in the case of the Wallcreeper, of the same bird.

To be continued...

DAY 2 - STEPPES (Lleida and Los Monegros) - 16 February 2016

DAY 3 - PYRENEES (Part 2) - 17 February 2016

DAY 1 - GARRAF / MONTSERRAT / LLOBREGAT - 15 February 2016

Attachments

• Wallcreeper O'Neill.JPG
    Wallcreeper O'Neill.JPG
    431.3 KB · Views: 112
  • snowfinch Peltonen.jpg
    snowfinch Peltonen.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 103
  • rock bunting Christopher.JPG
    rock bunting Christopher.JPG
    470.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Red Crossbill Christopher.JPG
    Red Crossbill Christopher.JPG
    365 KB · Views: 88
  • Alpine-accentor Linstead.jpg
    Alpine-accentor Linstead.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Winter Birding (Feb 2016), Catalonia / Aragon, Spain [Part 2]

DAY 2 (Part 1) - STEPPES of Lleida - 16 February 2016

We had planned for a second day in the Pyrenees but, all smiles and targets acquired, the group quickly improvised a wish list of Steppe birds - mainly as Paul had missed the spectacle back in Spring 2015 - on the journey there.

For the last several months the bird I usually start this tour with had occupied a different nook or cranny on every single attempt I made to find it. So much so that I was sure it was deliberately playing hidey bubo (see what I did there?) and, sure enough, as we once again arrived with the sun at 0800h, I had to check several old favourites before, well hidden, in yet another new spot, I found it. Eagle Owl. Well, I found its legs.

This bird in particular, by playing its games and forcing me to work very hard recently, had taught me a hell of lot about this species’ roost spots. Sometimes out in the open, sure, and very nice it is too, but often on a ledge half-hidden under an overhanging bush or sat inside open trees and this bird had even squeezed itself under a boulder once, lying flat like a cat. Today however we only had to reposition ourselves a little along the road to ‘move’ the vegetation out of the way before we got great views - eyes open (quite scary, full scope!) and with its head turning left and right, like clockwork as one group-member noted.

I originally found this pair when my attention was drawn to them by a small group of migrating Honey-buzzard mobbing them as they sat out on top of a bush and a rock respectively and they’ve successfully reared two young every year since. It’s great fun to watch them grow up and gain their independence as the year progresses but today the show was over and so, after picking out a Blue Rock Thrush and packing up the scope, we left.

Once arriving at the Steppes proper, serendipitous road works forced me to drive up a rocky track I usually tackle at the day’s end and only if I have to. Greeted at the top by dozens of singing Calandra Larks, I quickly scanned the adjacent fields on the plateau and gave the all-clear to get out of the car so we could have a listen. Upon which, of course, we immediately put up a flock of Pin-tailed Sandgrouse.

Thankfully, as is often the case, they typically floated immediately back down to settle in a nearby field and, after pausing to habituate to our presence, kept us company until we left. They moved about slowly feeding, freezing every time a Marsh Harrier or Red Kite went over.

Full-scope views of Pin-tailed sandgrouse, separating the equally mesmerising plumage of the males and females, is hard to beat. But. As we appreciated them to the building soundtrack that now included Thekla Larks, we noticed that we hadn’t noticed another build-up behind us, of European Starlings - gradually and eventually reaching about 10,000 birds!

Although present all year round, the region becomes inundated during the Winter and, although 10,000 might not sound a lot, we stood even more mesmerised as, like sky-fish, the flock repeatedly wheeled and whipped into a scrolling ribbon before, as if momentarily at the mercy of a giant magnet, condensed into a tight ball and expanded out again.

I challenge any bird song to thrill you more than the noise of 20,000 wings over your head.

Between this, with the flock for some reason choosing to break into two and circle us before starting the whole thing again, the sandgrouse and a good few other species dropping in, it was quite some time before we managed to tear ourselves away.

But twenty-four Little Bustard suddenly lifting up in a whoosh of white from the car-side as we arrived at the next patch made us very glad we did. There was no wing-whistle as they returned to circle overhead so all females seems likely but, like the sandgrouse, thankfully they typically didn’t go far, extending just beyond the nearest small ridge to settle and allow us pretty decent scope views.

Three brilliant encounters with three of our key species urged us to move on to Los Monegros in Aragon but not before, en route out of Catalonia, we were delayed by Green Sandpiper at a little rain pool, a flock of noisy Red-billed Chough and a wonderful pair of Hen Harrier hunting together, with the female causing a rather confused Little Owl to duck out of her way and scowl back at her as she sailed off.

Once again, I've attached a few photos from the same route, at the same time of year and, in the case of the Eagle Owl, of the same bird.

To be continued...

DAY 2 (part 2) - STEPPES of Los Monegros - 16 February 2016

DAY 4 - GARRAF / MONTSERRAT / LLOBREGAT - 18 February 2016

Attachments

• Eagle owl O'Brien.JPG
    Eagle owl O'Brien.JPG
    295.2 KB · Views: 94
  • pin-tailed sandgrouse Hiley.jpg
    pin-tailed sandgrouse Hiley.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 103
  • little bustard flock Hiley.jpg
    little bustard flock Hiley.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Little Bustard Turkentine.jpg
    Little Bustard Turkentine.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 100
  • hen harrier Hiley.jpg
    hen harrier Hiley.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Great birds and great surroundings. I'm sooooo jealous that I may have to have a sortie over the border in April! For some reason I still haven't found Little Bustard on the Spanish side of the mountains (2 of my trips were October).

Just been out for the Eagle Owl here. One site drew a blank but heard the male at the second. Fantastic birds.

Winter Birding (Feb 2016), Catalonia / Aragon, Spain [Part 3]

DAY 2 (Part 2) - STEPPES of Los Monegros - 16 February 2016

Bustards and Sandgrouse eat flowers and seeds and, whilst they’ll happily glean them directly from the plant or the ground, they won’t dig for them and so as soon as a farmer comes along and turns the field over they move on to feed on their next-favourite field. Unfortunately, they’re oblivious to the fact that fallow fields are sprayed with glyphosate these days and just keep feeding. Although based solely upon my own observations, unless you count common sense, that means they’re poisoned and, compounded by changes in land use and irrigation, they are, not surprisingly, fast-declining.

So when, upon our arrival in Los Monegros, we were immediately treated to several small flocks and pairs of Black-bellied Sandgrouse - starting with several birds on the ground by the track and totalling an estimated 49 birds - I was very pleasantly surprised to find the numbers appeared to be up.

Unfortunately I soon remembered my joy at once finding a record Winter peak of 400+ Pin-tailed Sandgrouse at one site only to soon learn that they were merely from a population displaced by the disturbance of agricultural machinery digging up their territory to install irrigation pipes.

Still, for today at least they were here for us to enjoy.

Plenty of larks, including many wintering Skylarks, and Corn Buntings were singing anyway, the latter of course hoping to mate with a harem of perhaps up to 20 females in the coming season.

No wonder he’s singing.

Stock Dove, Hoopoe, Black Redstart, Serin, Cirl Bunting and Spotless Starling were all present too as were the highly sort-after Lesser Short-toed Lark (just the two today but seen well) and, with its darker upper parts compared to the Great Grey and a pinkish flush to its underparts, several Iberian Grey Shrike (Lanius meridionalis).

A few Griffon Vultures, another Green Sandpiper at another rain pool and the day’s second female Hen Harrier distracted us until we settled in for a magnificent show from two Golden Eagles, a perched first-winter bird complete with big white flashes in its wings and tail, and a sub-adult "helter-skeltering" [please ask if you don't know what this is], just for fun it seemed, on the wind along a raised ridge.

The Winter does bring quite a few immature Golden Eagles, and many other raptors too, when the plentiful supply of Red-legged Partridges and rabbits suffices their needs until they’re old enough to think about nest sites.

Just before we moved on I decided to do the rounds for a particular favourite of mine. Most arrive in March but I usually find a handful of early birds and I had yet to find my year tick so I took the scenic route and, alerted to its presence by a never-before-heard sound that I can only describe as reminiscent of Stone-curlew, there it was, a tree-top adult Great Spotted Cuckoo, erm, singing.

We’d made the decision earlier in the day to skip sites for Great Bustard, Stone-curlew and Black Wheatear and so, already satisfied with the day’s quarry, we headed for home. En route though, we revelled in a single Barn Swallow at a nearby lake - it’s amazing how early season examples of this bird lift the spirits - and, to finish as we started, a second Eagle Owl, at a different site, although this was even more well hidden (inside a shadow inside a cave) than this morning’s!

As before, I've attached a few photos from the same route at the same time of year.

To be continued...

Attachments

• Black-bellied Sandgrouse Jennings.jpg
    Black-bellied Sandgrouse Jennings.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Calandra-Lark Linstead.jpg
    Calandra-Lark Linstead.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Iberian Grey Shrike Fox.jpg
    Iberian Grey Shrike Fox.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Golden-eagle Linstead.jpg
    Golden-eagle Linstead.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 68
  • great spotted cuckoo Morrison.JPG
    great spotted cuckoo Morrison.JPG
    373.4 KB · Views: 76
Winter Birding (Feb 2016), Catalonia / Aragon, Spain [Part 4]

DAY 3 - PYRENEES (second day) - 17 February 2016

The wind had blown our chances of really enjoying the true spectacle of the high Pyrenees in the sunshine the other day and so, having waited for the weather to change, we decided to go ahead with the planned second trip, especially as we’d missed a few species - including one very big lifer for Paul.

Having seen the Wallcreeper so well already we treated ourselves to a later start to avoid the worst of the cold and even had the luxury of breaking the journey with a quick half-way stop-off about forty-five minutes away.

The reason was a chance at Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, a bird that’s recovering in Catalonia and, although they often spread out from their breeding grounds in Winter, this site has them all year round. They’re also very reliable here and can be seen even from the car so tend not to use up much of the day’s precious time.

Sure enough, at about 0900h, we picked out a male, just sat there on a mid-distant row of tall thin-twigged trees. It then flew closer to the car and started drumming - relentlessly. Like a complaining neighbour, a Great Spotted Woodpecker flew in to within a few inches, allowing both to be compared in the scope.

Ignoring the trespass into its personal space, however, the male Lesser Spotted Woodpecker just kept on drumming, until a female flew in too! One scope view, three woodpeckers. Very cool. But not as cool as what happened next. I’ve never seen this before but, now left alone, both Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers positioned themselves on either side of a vertical branch and proceeded to drum AT each other, with interestingly the female choosing to do so in shorter bursts.

My day was already made, whatever happen from hereon in.

Good views of Great Egret, Cetti’s Warbler, Short-toed Treecreeper, Wren and Firecrest were capitalised on before we headed off, and roadside Crag Martin seemed to marshal us on the entire remainder of our journey north.

Stopping only to enjoy a group of car-side Red Crossbill, once at my patch in the Pyrenees, we drove past the point where we’d seen the Snowfinches, now snow-covered but clear and bright, to explore the higher altitudes.

Almost immediately we came across a group of seven Alpine Accentors and then another four preening on a rock in the sun.

There are not many species that inhabit 2000m above sea level at this time of year but, when all is white, at least any thing that is moving out there can be seen quite easily. And what species they are. There! About 80 White-winged Snowfinches suddenly flew up briefly from the brow of a hill about 200m away. As if a stone had landed amongst them, a splash of white droplets, made up of wing and tail flashes, rose up before they sprinkled back down onto the ground and dissolved back into the snow.

They had been made uneasy by something it seemed, however. Before I could set up the scope they rose again, circled and, after dipping back down teasingly close to the surface, disappeared over a ridge to the south. A few seconds later a single bird flew after them but then all was quiet.

No matter, we couldn’t have had better views than the other day, and we continued our walk down.

We’d encountered quite a few Griffon Vultures throughout the day but, as we turned a corner to walk into a few dozen circling at eye-level over a valley ahead of us, we all stopped in excitement. To be fair, as great a spectacle as this was, the bins of all five of us were immediately charged with picking out a vulture that is, shall we say, unshaven.

First spotted banking the apparent edges of the thermal just above the height of the rest, but again at more or less eye-level, we spent the next 15 minutes studying a majestic Lammergeier, or Bearded Vulture, the highlight coming when it effortlessly glided out of the swirling vortex and sailed directly over our heads. For me, bins-down close.

I left them to continue enjoying the show and went to fetch the car. As I approached it, I took the opportunity to find a suitable bush for a little relief when a second Lammergeier floated over my head from behind me and twisted around so low it, or its shadow perhaps, flushed a Grey Partridge, a startled member of a quite rare and relic Pyrenean population. The rest of that story is not for public consumption but to say that I, in turn, was also startled and it’s the only time I’ve ever sworn at a Lammergeier.

Having re-collected the group, we waited and strolled for some time around a habitat boundary between pine forest, alpine meadow and a rocky mountainside.

Amidst an unusually noisy chorus of bird sounds, probably inspired by the return of some decent weather, we picked up yet three more Red Crossbill and two blink-and-you’ll-miss’em, overflying Citril Finch. Fortunately this seemed to wake up another perched in the nearby pines which we watched and listened to foraging and calling just a few metres away.

More calls, this time a series of clucky, chunky blackbird-like sounds drew our attention to the definite presence of a handful of Ring Ouzel but it took some patience, given the challenge of honing in amid the distraction of calls coming from different directions, before we managed to scope one or two of at least three females and a male.

If, by the way, you’re wondering why we have Ring Ouzel in Winter it’s because the Spanish sub-species, named Turdus torquatus alpestris and looking rather scaly on the belly (see photo), is a resident.

Finally, if you don’t count another flyover Citril Finch in the village as we descended, we were given a great send off by a couple of hundred Yellow-billed (aka Alpine) Chough, which once again were heard first - as a screaming mass of un-corvid-like whistles - and flocked and circled around us, still screaming and seemingly oblivious to our presence. If you’ve never heard it, it’s a bright cheery orchestra of sound entirely fitting with their bright yellow bill against today’s cheery deep blue sky! Perfect.

To be continued...

Attachments

• Lammergeir Mathers.JPG
    Lammergeir Mathers.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Griffon Vulture Thong.jpg
    Griffon Vulture Thong.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 63
  • citril finch Boe.jpg
    citril finch Boe.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 98
  • ring ouzel 1 christopher.JPG
    ring ouzel 1 christopher.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 78
  • alpine chough christopher.JPG
    alpine chough christopher.JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Winter Birding (Feb 2016), Catalonia / Aragon, Spain [Part 5]

Thanks for reading. I'm obviously a guide but if anyone wants guideline lists for species they might see in Catalonia (or locations within it) over Winter, or any other advice for self-birded trips, just let me know. It's a fantastic place and I hope you come.

A short morning walk in the forest and vineyards of the GARRAF MASSIS produced a host of finches (including Serin), tits (including Crested Tit) and plenty of wintering Black Redstart and a few Wren.

Two more Great Spotted Woodpeckers were a personal highlight and we had chance to really listen to the call of the Iberian Woodpecker, seen on Day 1. It’s higher pitched and a little quicker than the yaffle of the European Green Woodpecker and most people are discerning enough to hear it.

But today was organised around the need to get to the airport so the few stops we had were brief.

MONTSERRAT is a place we’d driven past several times over their two visits to Catalonia and so they finally took the opportunity to take a closer look. Lots of wintering Robin still about - they won’t head back North until the end of March - and a pair of Raven honked overhead at our arrival but the highlight of the day came when, whilst trying to track a Firecrest, a second bird flew past Derek, almost tagging his shoulder, and landed so close to his head that he actually had to lean back to see it! Orange fire streak for male - tick. And then, incredibly, given the subsequent disbelieving jollity from us all, in flew a Short-toed Treecreeper almost as close. Bird magnet.

With just enough time remaining to poke our noses into one of the hides at the LLOBREGAT DELTA, we managed to tick off quite a few trip birds.

Ducks included wintering Eurasian Wigeon and Common Teal with a few resident Red-crested Pochard mixed in and all played their version of musical chairs whenever a Marsh Harrier showed up.

Shorebird species counted Black-tailed Godwit, plenty of Common Snipe right next to the hide and the remarkable Northern Lapwing amongst their number, the latter here know as Avefria or ‘bird of the cold’ as it’s really only here for the Winter.

Of the larger wading birds Great Egret, 8 Greater Flamingo and a Eurasian Spoonbill were showing well.

Hoopoes are always fun of course and seven Purple Swamphen were on hand too with site-standards Yellow-legged Gull, White Wagtail, Water Pipit and Sardinian Warbler bringing up the rear before we made our final stop at Barcelona airport.

Here’s a short testimonial from the group:

We spent a week on a birding trip with Stephen last year and had a wonderful time, he found all of our target species for us and made the trip very enjoyable, so much so that we decided to return. We spent 4 days with Stephen last week and again he managed to find our target species for us. He puts lots of time and effort into his research and is very knowledgeable. Excellent guide, lovely hotel, great birds and beautiful Catalonia. Thanks Stephen, we shall be back!!
April & Bill Goudie, Paul & Derek, UK

And a few from other recent Winter trips:

Many thanks for your hospitality and professionalism. As expected you knew where to go for the target species and were very obliging in finding the more common species when needed to increase the Spain list. A credit to the world of professional birding and an ambassador for birding in Spain.
Lee, Dan and Steve, UK

Many thanks for all the effort you put in to find us some excellent birds. You certainly worked hard. I really enjoyed the trip: the birds, the habitats and the relaxed atmosphere. I got my targets too so I'm a happy birder.
David King, UK

"We recently spent three extremely enjoyable days being guided by Stephen in the Pyrenees. His powers of observation and knowledge constantly amazed us as well as his remarkable patience. We had stunning views of most of the species we had wished to see. We very much hope to repeat the experience again in the future.
Heather Maclean, UK

We spent a few days with Stephen and had a great time. He is good and knowledgeable company and knows where the birds are. We’d asked to see specific birds, notably the Bustards and Sandgrouse, and he was able to help us have excellent views of them. His car is also a good field hide for photography! I would have no hesitation in recommending him to others interested in birding the area. The accommodation is very good, a clean flat with all the amenities that acts as an excellent base, with good birding nearby.
Tony Sawbridge, UK

Thanks for the fantastic tour with many memorable species seen - Great Bustard, Little Bustard, Pin-tailed and Black-bellied Sandgrouse, Eagle Owl, Iberian Grey Shrike. One of the best birding days!
Grant and Aidan Powell, Australia

Attachments

• Purple swamphen O'brien.JPG
    Purple swamphen O'brien.JPG
    306.3 KB · Views: 47
  • hoopoe Turkentine.jpg
    hoopoe Turkentine.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Sardinian Warbler Nott.jpg
    Sardinian Warbler Nott.jpg
    452.4 KB · Views: 59
  • serin Nott.jpg
    serin Nott.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 52
  • red crested pochard Crutch.jpg
    red crested pochard Crutch.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 47
Great reports Stephen, really enjoyed the read.

I gather Pallid Harriers over-winter in the area, I have seen quite a number now but only 2 adult males, which for most birders are the real prize. Are there any this winter?

I enjoyed birding the areas you mention several years ago in November. I recall obtaining stunning views of a Wallcreeper at the Embalse de Guara (also called Embalse de Calcon?). But I also thought I had what were my only ever Citril Finches there, perched on telegraph wires briefly. Switched to scope, and they had gone. Are they likely at Embalse de Guara?

Little Bustard in Catalonia

For some reason I still haven't found Little Bustard on the Spanish side of the mountains (2 of my trips were October).

Yeah, October isn't the best time. The males are dressed down of course and most birds are in flocks and so, by the very nature of flocking birds if you don't already know where they are, there's more sites without than with birds. Quite a few buck the trend though and winter alone/in pairs/very small groups so there's always a chance.

April, if you come, will, as you are clearly aware, will be much easier with some males having been on territory for some weeks (it can take them several to find a female).

Despite being 50cm tall, however, the call (a short raspberry) can be vital to locating them and listen out for the wing-whistle of the male too. We spend so much time scanning the floor for Steppe species (most of which are cryptic in plumage) that this has proved very useful picking up overflying birds.

You might find this useful too:

How to find Dupont's Lark and other Steppe birds

http://birding-in-spain-barcelona.blogspot.com.es/2012/01/how-to-find-dupot.html

Incidentally, since I wrote this, I have now seen Dupont's Lark singing on top of a bush, albeit a very small one.

Good luck

Incidentely, I had Duponts (I'm guessing the same bird) singing on the same 'bush' in both April and October, El Planeron...
I had nothing to compare to to say whether it was the lesser variety 8-P

Dupont's Lark singing on top of bushes

I had Duponts singing on the same 'bush' in both April and October, El Planeron...

I think that would make sense. There are definitely more bushes and less rocks in the territories in El Planeron compared to my patch so this doesn't surprise me greatly. My birds, given the choice of rocks, hillocks, etc. tend to prefer them.

Stephen

Pallid Harriers, Citril Finch

Great reports Stephen, really enjoyed the read.

I gather Pallid Harriers over-winter in the area, I have seen quite a number now but only 2 adult males, which for most birders are the real prize. Are there any this winter?

I enjoyed birding the areas you mention several years ago in November. I recall obtaining stunning views of a Wallcreeper at the Embalse de Guara (also called Embalse de Calcon?). But I also thought I had what were my only ever Citril Finches there, perched on telegraph wires briefly. Switched to scope, and they had gone. Are they likely at Embalse de Guara?

The Embalse de Guara, Vadiello, etc. is actually outside of my patch Wolfbirder but they are good and well-known spots for Wallcreeper. If you're talking specifically about a habitat where pines and meadows meet then I would say Citril Finch is likely.

Where/when did you have the Pallid Harriers? I only know of one reported in my patch at the beginning of the Winter.

Cheers

We went hunting for them not far from Aguamolls where one had overwintered 2011-2012...

It is something that is on the increase - we had one last winter, then one at Royan and another overwintered on the carmargue...

Thanks Rosbifs. If there are any wintering adult males I would travel to see one again. I've seen two so shouldn't complain, but on both occasions the views lasted less than a minute.

Pallid Harrier, Catalonia

We had an absolutely massive influx of Pallid Harriers throughout Catalonia in the Spring of 2015.

I was dying to catch up with a male myself but couldn't hit any of the reported ones because none of my clients wanted to head off-piste as it were so I just had to cross my fingers! Got a beauty in the Aiguamolls; flew in low and landed on a vine plant so close to the car we had to whisper.

So keep 'em crossed Wolfbirder, you never know.

Always hoping a male comes through the UK. Cyprus last week in March is the other option.
I had 7 of them one morning a couple of years back, along with a male Monty, at Cape Greco but just one adult male.

February in the GARRAF MASSIS / LLOBREGAT DELTA

But today was organised around the need to get to the airport so the few stops we had were brief.

For anyone interested to know what this might have offered had we had a full day at our disposal, I've just uploaded a personal trip report/photos here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=340051

It's little more than a list of the 103 (or 104?!) species I clocked up on 16th February last week, roughly and coincidentally about the same time as the tour in this thread.

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back