• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

wood pigeon on water (1 Viewer)

stevenm

Today I saw something I have never seen before. A wood pigeon deliberately landed on the lake in East Park in Hull, splashed about and dipped it's head under the water a few times and then lifted off as graceful as a gull and flew off. At no point did it appear to be panicking or stressed, it just looked as if it was in a bird bath! The water it landed on would be at least 2 feet deep. Has anyone else ever seen this happen?

Yep, pigeons can swim quite well! I've seen this a few times, both with Woodpigeon and Feral Pigeon - in the latter case, once from a ship in the middle of the North Sea (so water at least 20-30 metres deep) :t:

PS welcome to Birdforum!

Yep, pigeons can swim quite well! I've seen this a few times, both with Woodpigeon and Feral Pigeon - in the latter case, once from a ship in the middle of the North Sea (so water at least 20-30 metres deep) :t:

PS welcome to Birdforum!

Or are Wood pigeons just not that intelligent ? i.e regularly flying into windows and standing in the middle of the road more often than most species |8.|

Or are Wood pigeons just not that intelligent ? i.e regularly flying into windows and standing in the middle of the road more often than most species |8.|
Not sure they do! Given their abundance, I see far fewer roadkill Woodpigeons than one would expect compared to other species.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back