• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera for Digiscoping - basic questions (1 Viewer)

Melproudfoot

Dear All,

Sorry to drag you back to digital cameras 101, but just having started this is where I am!

What I would like understand is the basic "good for digiscoping attributes" in a "through the eyepeice" point and shoot rather than specific models.
Are we looking for cameras that:
1/ have internal focusing - so the external lens does not move or rotate?
2/ have a filter threat to mount an adapter, and a "fixed" lens that does not move - even in and out to zoom?
3/ pixels? more the better? I am currently looking at 7MP (this after getting a Canon D20 which has changed my expectations from digital).
4/ Any other basics that you can think of?

My point and shoot (olympus Z40) is about to go to a better place, and I am looking at the Sony W7 - having been advised that this a "good" camera with a scope. But am also rather taken with the Casio Exilim EX-Z 750 which seems to come out a bit better overall performance in the various reviews.

5/ Also, what did you do? (i)Get the scope first then find a camera to suite (ii) get both together, or what?

I guess that I could use the D20 via a camera mount, depending on the scope I get, but then I don't get the flexibility of using various eyepieces.

I tend to watch at my local RSPB, at Dungeness Kent UK, which has some interesting subjects, but from the hides they are sometimes quite a distance away.

regards

Mel

Mel go to the digiscoping threads,and read up the various posts re the different cams.I think the basics are a decent quality scope,a cam you can attach with an adaptor which does not allow any light to filter through.The Coolpix series are I guess perhaps the top contenders,but the Can A95 is also recommended,and the little Contax which are lightweight and have an extremely quick buffer speed.You can digiscope with an SLR,but with say the Nikon 4500,you do have the magnification.
Have a look through the other postings in the Digiscoping Forum,and you will pick up some ideas.Or check out the Gallery pics,you will find several digiscoped images,and the equipment used for the image is usually mentioned.

Christine,

Thanks for the advice. I am coming to the conclusion that the way to approach this is to get the scope first then pick the camera to suite. I have just got the T adaptor for my Meade ETX 90EC and the initial results look very interesting. Unfortunetely, since I got it we have a sea mist so have not tested on any subjects over 80mtrs. If I can get the tube out of the fork mount this maybe become my scope!

Mel

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back