• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

youngsters (1 Viewer)

erik

cheesehead
Netherlands
It's hatching time! What young birds have you seen yet?

Today i saw the first Greylag goslings and young herons on a nest. Yesterday the first 'cootlings'.

For several days now I have been watching a robin taking mealworms into our boundary hedge (it's about 10 feet high and 6 or more feet thick, so it should be a safe place for a nest). Then yesterday there were two robins taking food there - so I reckon the chicks are fairly well developed now.

We think our bluetit's eggs might start hatching tomorrow - if they do there will be a message on the forum!

Very cheeky little Robins in my Garden at the moment.
They've learnt to fly very quickly, one nearly landed on my head yesterday but decided at the last moment that the hedge would be safer!

Saw some baby House Sparrows in the garden today, which is nice as the number of Sparrows in my garden have dropped noticably this year, although nowhere near as dramatic as the drop in the number of Starlings. Usually get loads of baby Starlings - I'll be eager to see if we get any this year.

Also got 7 (as far as I can tell) Blue Tit chicks in the nest box all of which hatched yesterday, May 3rd. I have also seen some young Wood Pigeons in the garden. There must be some baby Blackbirds around too as the blackbirds have been collecting vast quantities of earth worms and taking them away - not seen any yet though.

I've seen some baby Coots (weird red faces!!) and also quite a gang of Greylag Goslings..... I've got a photo somewhere - I'll dig it out...

All seen at Stodmarsh last week

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back