• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snapping Pics at the Feeder (1 Viewer)

gthang

Ford Focus Fanatic: mmmmmm... 3.1415926535.....
So, today, i was standing at the kitchen counter, tripod in sink, camera at the ready and snap pictures of tons of birds and their hi-jinks.

The list of birds:
Carolina Wren (new tick!)
White-Breasted Nuthatch
Red-Bellied Woodpecker (Male and Female)
American Goldfinch
Slate-Colored Junco
Tufted Titmouse
Black-Capped Chickadee

And i didn't notice it until i snapped the last Carolina Wren picture, but the was a black and white bird on the feeder. (I believe it was a Downy Woodpecker.)

At least I got a new tick!

Regards,
Grant

Yesterday, we were hit with half-foot of snow. the birds started going into a feeding frenzy.

The List of birds from yesterday's photo session:
White-Breasted Nuthatch (Got two in one shot!!!)
Tufted Titmouse
Black-Capped Chickadee
American Goldfinch
Slate-Colored Junco
Downy Woodpecker (First time on film!)
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Northern Cardinal (First time I got it on film)
Song Sparrow (New Tick!!)
American Tree Sparrow (New Tick!!)

Comparison with yesterday's list:
Yesterday: 7 bird species
Snowy Day: 10 bird species

I'll let you know what I get after the storm.

Last edited:
OK, Today We Got
Carolina Wren
Song Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
American Goldfinch
White-Breasted Nuthatch
Black-Capped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Dark-Eyed Junco
Pine Siskin (New Tick!!)

Total for today: 11 species

Today, March 18, 2004

Mourning Dove (New Tick!!)
Downy Woodpecker (female)
Red-Bellied Woodpecker (female and male)
Song Sparrow
American Goldfinch
Tufted Titmouse
Dark-Eyed Junco
White-Breasted Nuthatch
Black-Capped Chickadee

Total for today: 9 birds

Last edited:
Today, at the feeder, tons of birds! Even though the feeder is nearly empty...

Fox Sparrow (New Tick!!)
House Sparrow (New Tick!!)
House Finch
Northern Cardinal (Male and female)
Downy Woodpecker (female)
Red-Bellied Woodpecker (male and female)
Hairy Woodpecker (female)
American Goldfinch
Tufted Titmouse
Black-Capped Chickadee
Dark-Eyed Junco
Song Sparrow
American Tree Sparrow
Mourning Dove (3 of them!)
American Crow
White-Breasted Nuthatch

Total for today: 16 birds!

Last edited:
gthang said:
Today, at the feeder, tons of birds! Even though the feeder is nearly empty...

Total for today: 14 birds!

You mean you just stood there taking photos, while the feeder was nearly empty????????????????????? Shame on you - hope you filled it up afterwards!!!!

(NB - deleted the list, as it made the post rather long).

Yep sure did. I was wondering why all the birds gone, then I realized that the feeder was almost empty. Shoveled snow on deck, shoveled path to patio chair, bring chair to feeder area, stepped on chair, stepped on the railling of our deck, used right hand to hold on for dear life, unhooked the feeder, brought feeder to downstairs bathroom, emptied feeder into stopped up sink, brought feeder into garage, opened bird seed bag, put funnel in feeder, start pouring bag, funnel starts moving, seeds all over the place, finish filling feeder, get wet/dry vac, vacuum up garage filled with seeds, bring feeder back upstairs to deck, spend 2 minutes balancing myself on railing, rehang feeder, head back downstairs, grab wet/dry vac, bring vacuum into aformentioned bathroom, vacuum up all old seeds in bathroom sink, clean sink with paper towel, drag wet/dry vac home into garage..... Finally, the job is done.

Hey, just realized: of the March 19th pictures I took apparently one of them was not a Downy Woodpecker, but a Hairy Woodpecker! Another New Tick!!! I didn't even notice it until last night! I was going through my pictures, and i come upon this picture below. So after seeing it, i realized it wasn't what I thought it was. The bill was bigger than it should be (for a Downy) and overall, the bird appeared much bigger than a Downy. I knew that there was only one woodpecker that is virtually the same, except in overall size, size of bill, and a few spots on the white undertail feathers. The ID was a Hairy Woodpecker!

Attachments

• hairy woodpecker.jpg
    hairy woodpecker.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 192
So, finally got some action this morning until 9:17 Eastern time.

New ticks include Common Grackle, Blue Jay, and American Crow. Although the Blue Jay is quite common around here, the new tick part of it is the first time I've photographed one. However, I could never get a shot of the common grackle. he flew away before i could get a shot.

Tufted Titmouse (Visited my makeshift peanut feeder)
Black-Capped Chickadee
Carolina Wren
American Tree Sparrow
White-Breasted Nuthatch (Visited my makeshift peanut feeder)
Northern Cardinal
Common Grackle
Blue Jay
American Crow
American Goldfinch
Dark-Eyed Junco
Red-Bellied Woodpecker

Total for Today: 12

Last edited:
Today, the 28th of March: Put up a second feeder specifically for the finches, et al. and have seen a revival of sorts to the original feeder due to the new feeder attracting birds.

Tufted Titmouse
Black-Capped Chickadee
White-Breasted Nuthatch
American Goldfinch

Photographed, but didn't go to feeders:
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Northern Cardinal
Eastern Phoebe (New Tick!!)

Not Photographed at all:
American Robin
Downy Woodpecker
House Finch
Dark-Eyed Junco

Total for today: 10 species

Last edited:
You are having a ball aren't you? I can hear the wonder in your voice gthang. Errrh, get into any trouble stopping up the sink?

Last edited:
No, no problems with the sink... just that it gets in the way when somebody needs to do the dishes. All I have to do is disconnect the camera from the tripod, and remove the tripod from the sink.

In fact, yes I am having a ball. Birding is so cool. Once i've seen every single bird species that calls my backyard home, I will start traveling to parks in the area and start working on the other birds.

Today, March 29, 2004:

Photographed on the Feeder(s):
American Goldfinch
Black-Capped Chickadee
White-Breasted Nuthatch
Tufted Titmouse
House Finch
Common Grackle
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker

Photographed Elsewhere:
American Robin
Dark-Eyed Junco
Mourning Dove
Northern Cardinal

Total for today: 12 birds

Yep, sure are! Today was the first time a grackle has actually landed on and ate from the feeder... and also the first time I got the best shots of it. See pic:

Attachments

• grackle and woodie.jpg
    grackle and woodie.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 180
Did you check my gallery? there's a Woodpecker double header in there somewhere (Two woodie species in one shot!)

gthang,
I love your enthusiasm. What I love about birding is that no matter where you are there is always the possibility of seeing a bird. We all have our favorites, but they are all a work of art.

Wow, your yard sure is more exciting than mine at the moment!
I only get two species of woodpecker at the feeders, downies and hairies. Almost no spring migrants yet aside from 2 starlings. My regulars on a daily basis all winter up to now are:

Red breasted nuthatches
Black capped chickadees
Common redpolls
Hoary redpolls
Pine grosbeaks
Sometimes evening grosbeaks
Whiskey Jacks (gray jays)
One or two bluejays
Downy woodpecker
Hairy woodpecker
The odd crow

I'm hoping the purple finches will show up soon. THey are usually here by now but all I've seen are the 2 starlings.
Great reports on your yard. I'll have to check out your gallery. Feel free to look at my online photo albums and let me know what you think.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back