• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ring Neck Pheasant U.S.A. (1 Viewer)

SeniorCitizen

The Ring Neck, as I understand, was introduced into the United States from China. They seem to be well adapted and wide spread in this country. Does anyone have information approximately when they were imported to the U.S. and to which area initially?

This pic was taken by my wife, as we were slowly traveling the country side in the pick up truck enjoying nature, on the way to Roadrunner Ranch. The crouched bird readied himself, as the pickup stopped, in case flight is necessary. The light dusting of snow in the month of March along with the dormant grass and barbed (bob) wire fence made a great unique picture.

Attachments

• pheasant.JPG
    pheasant.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Does anyone have information approximately when they were imported to the U.S. and to which area initially?

First attempted introduction was in the 1730s in New York, but it was unsuccessful since the birds did not become established. The first successful release was in Oregon in 1882, and there have been numerous releases since then in various areas of the country.

However, at least in the East, the population has declined dramatically in recent decades, along with native field birds such as Northern Bobwhite. In many areas of the East it is questionable whether there are any self-sustaining populations (i.e. populations that do not depend on new releases for replenishment).

Best,
Jim

Thanks for the information Jim.

I'm fairly sure the Pheasant is self sustaining through the plains states but I have a great nephew that's a game biologist and can check with him.

We've discovered there are 3 farm crops that will help sustain populations. Those are Milo, Corn and Alfalfa and of course a steady supply of fresh water is always welcome.

For several years wheat (Dove and Pigeon feed) was the crop choice of farmers but since the Milo and Corn have made a come back our Pheasant populations have rebounded and those areas with Alfalfa have excelled.

The conclusion here is that the few pheasants we still see around here in E. PA are probably refugees from rod and gun clubs. That's despite the fact that they grow a major amount of corn here.

As Jim said, bobwhite is even less likely to be naturally occurring here anymore. You have to go to Delaware for natural populations of those.

It's been a few years, but I know of an area very near Boston (inside route 128) where I used to regularly see ring-necks. I still talk to some locals who say they haven't seen any in a couple of years. There have definitely been changes in the local predator mix (notably, coyote have appeared in numbers) lately. There are certainly no rod or gun clubs in this area, and the population withstood plenty of predation - my cat used to bring them home - but the population seems to have declined.
eBird shows some recent sightings a bit farther outside town, still unlikely places for a stocking program.

In #3 I mentioned three food sources for Pheasant and called wheat dove and pigeon food.

Let me correct myself just a little if I may. Pheasant enjoy the wheat plant as a green pasture food in the winter months and into the spring when food sources become scarce. Millet is also a popular seed food for wild game birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back