• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Gull adopted our close (1 Viewer)

Staysee

So, about 2 weeks ago a young Gull turned up in our close, concerned for it neighbours fed it bread and pretty much anything it would eat, it hung about but then dissapeared for a few days and then came back and again it was fed.

From the start it was extremely tame and has followed any person around, the first time I saw it it tried to follow me, yet I was trying to ignore it....hard when its calling to you.

So sunday just gone my dad helped two people catch the bird who was taken into a neighbours house whilst they called the rspb as it had a limp, they were advised to take it to the vets to get it seen too, it spent 24hours at the vets and they got a call to say it was fine and could be released.

This is in plymouth by the way, they took it over the mount batten and had a very hard time leaving it, as it was following them and calling to them bitterly but they knew it needed to live wild with other gulls, eventually it flew off out into the water and they lost sight of it....today? ITS BACK!

Anybody that passes, it calls too and follows, even if they ignore it.

Should I call the RSPB again? It seems to dissappear off later in the day and is only about early/mid afternoon. It does seem quiet young and when it was captured on sunday instead of pecking to protect itself, it was sick...does that prove that its a young young or just shock of being handled? haha

If theres anyone in or near plymouth who can help that'd be awesome, this birds now been made too tame by a close/street of animal lovers [especially a few people who cant leave it alone] I dont think it'll do too well in the wild again, not all people will care as much as the people in this close, should it land elsewhere and ask for food

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back