• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lanzerote - One day, Three Questions (1 Viewer)

Lawts

Supa Silly Un
Family holiday next week with probably one day's birding. Think I'm based in south - main tourist bit at any rate:-

What are my target birds?

Where do I see them?

Any directions?

Thanks

Go to El Jable (also known as Teguise) plain in car for good chance of Houbara Bustards and Cream coloured Coursers.

Go to Haria for African Blue Tit and Canary.

Various viewpoints for Cory's Shearwater and possible Bulwer's Petrel (try day ferry from Playa Blanca to Fuerteventura).

Barbary Falcon another good bird you should see. Try viewpoint in extreme north-west (place name escapes me).

I did a detailed report "Mad Blogs and Englishmen" which you might find in Vacational Trip Reports if you type that in. Plenty of other Lanzarote reports too.

There is a golf course you may see Barbary Partridge at.

El Rubicon plain that I detailed (near Playa Blanca) was much poorer when I returned this June, no coursers but still had Bustards.

Lanzarote is easily doable in one day - eg to Teguise, Haria, and you can slyly get a bit of birding on other days when you join the family on a day trip across to Fuerteventura if you are at Playa Blanca, and you will undoubtedly go to the volcano - its a must. Nearby is a camel ride and around there are Bertholots Pipits (infact they are everywhere on island), and maybe Trumpeter Finches.

The grey shrikes you may see are debateably Desert Grey Shrikes.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back