• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Camera? (1 Viewer)

Ruby

Hi,

I have been thinking of upgrading my camera, and would be looking for a bridge camera to take advantage of new technology to give me increased zoom capability etc.... My budget would be c£400 or so....

I had been considering the Fuji HS50, but it seems to have gone out of production, and I'm a bit nervous about risking a refurbished model, of which there are a few available...

Anyone got any other recommendations that would fit the bill? Needless to say, bird and insect photography is the intended main use...

Thanks.... Ray

There are supposedly several new cameras getting launched at the upcoming CP+ photo show later this month in Japan, so it might be worth waiting for that.
The Fuji is weather sealed, presumably a plus in the UK. The FinePix S1 is the Fuji successor to the HS50, also weather sealed and a bit longer zoom but not getting as much love in the reviews.

I have decided to go for a refurbished HS50 - fingers crossed that it'll turn out to be OK.

Thanks for your help....

Not sure that it'll be of much interest any more - given that I don't think it is any longer possible to buy the HS50 (new!) any more.... but here are a couple of my early pics taken with my secondhand one. Been pretty pleased with it early-doors....

Attachments

• Gulls(s) - Chilmead Farm - 28th Feb 2016.jpg
    Gulls(s) - Chilmead Farm - 28th Feb 2016.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Long-tailed Tit(s) - Mercers - 28th Feb 2016.jpg
    Long-tailed Tit(s) - Mercers - 28th Feb 2016.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 98
Thanks John.... Only slight snag is that I forgot rule #1 of bird photography - I focused on its flank, rather than its eye!! Better than any previous pic that I had managed of a lively subject though...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back