• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blyth's Reed Warbler markings/ID points? (1 Viewer)

joroco

Hi,

What clear ID points should I look for in a Blyth's Reed Warbler? Anything specific on their wings, tail, head, beak etc.. that is clearly different than a Reed Warbler?
There has been sightings near me and I took some different shots of Reed Warblers, just want to check I didn't catch the Blyth's instead and also for future reference...

Thanks, John

I'd say don't look at them, listen to them instead! Blyth's Reed Warbler is one of my favourite birds to listen to, all those different sounds it can make! Amazing.

Anyway, according to Fågelguiden (Collins), it has a shorter wing projection, a slightly longer and more prominent supercilium that reaches behind the eye and it lacks the reddish rump of a Reed Warbler.
Also, while Reed Warbler is usually found in reeds (no really!) Blyth's is more often found in bushes or small trees. (Hence the Swedish name, busksångare, Bush Warbler.)

If you don't have it already, I really recommend you to get Fågelguiden, it's the best bird book around. (Although a new version will be out this autumn, so you might want to wait until then.)

ok, I will have listen around and try and learn them. Found a great site for bird songs/calls, its : http://www.xeno-canto.org/europe/

I just got a new book the other day (my other books are 8-10 years old). It's Phillip's Guide to Birds of Britain and Europe. Has more than 500 species and over 1000 pictures.. not great quality on some of the images but most of really good.
I think I will get that Fågelguiden in autumn (pretty sure I have an older copy somewhere). I mostly have english books (i'm english but living in Sweden).

I see, sorry for jumping to conclusions re. your nationality. :)

Anyway, I don't know where you live in Sweden, but if you want to study Blyth's Reed Warbler I can certainly recommend the two in Stockholm, sitting pretty much next to each other. Often pretty easy to spot as well, just beware, the last few nights there's been a Marsh Warbler sitting between them. ;)

I live in Bro - Upplands Bro. Not to far from uppsala is it?
I would love to find some more birding areas around here so if you know any more from the stockholm way it would be great to know :)
Have you been to Norra Järvafältet? I haven't been there YET but I look at the reports on svalan often and there seems to be an awfully nice selection of birds there..

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back