• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Listening to Birds (1 Viewer)

Andrew Whitehouse

Professor of Listening
Supporter
Scotland
Today a project I'm working on has been launched which I'm sure will be of interest to people on Birdforum. The project is called 'Listening to Birds' and is a two-year study of how bird sounds become a part of people's lives. I'm also interested in how people learn to identify birds by sound. There's much more information on the project website:

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/birdsong/

I'm writing a blog, which already has a few entries, and it's possible for people to contribute their own experiences of bird sounds. Lots of people already have!

I'll use this thread to keep people up to date with what's going on in the project.

Since reading about this project, I keep thinking of all sorts of experiences relating to bird sounds. So apologies in advance if you end up getting loads of meaningless drivel submitted to your website!

"We also hope to learn a lot about how to recognise bird sounds ourselves, through research in both Britain and Brazil." Now that definitely sounds like research that I'd like to be involved in!

Last edited:
Hmm, yeah. Forgot about the Brazil bit. That should be very challenging work.

While I'm here, can I take the opportunity to publicly thank the various magnificent BirdForum photographers for allowing me to use their wonderful pictures on the website:

Nigel Blake
Kit Day
Nigel Pye
PostcardCV
Psilo

Enormous thanks to you all and I hope you like the website.

Strangely enough no. Although that was mostly because I don't have many pictures of birds making a noise. Obviously I'm now kicking myself for not asking you if you had any ;).

Yup, the bird on my avatar looks as if he's keeping pretty quiet. And my fees are probably far more reasonable than all of those pro's you are using;)

Very good. Now I've heard you does that mean I can tick you on my BF list, on call at least?

Oh, and now seems a good time to pint out that I've seen Nightingale in Scotland. On your patch in fact.

I'm all in favour of heards being tickable. Although surely not from a recording?

Hmm, will have to find a Nightingale here next spring.

OMG, does this mean that you will be appearing on the next series of "I'm a celebrity get me out of here"?-but then there could be some good ticks there-and will we have to pay for the privilege of being in such esteemed company on future BF trips;)

OMG, does this mean that you will be appearing on the next series of "I'm a celebrity get me out of here"?-but then there could be some good ticks there-and will we have to pay for the privilege of being in such esteemed company on future BF trips;)

Well, you never know. I'm probably a big enough celebrity now. I must be at least z-list, or maybe even y.

So after your exploits today, are you going to be appearing on the next series of 'Crimewatch UK'?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back