• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ACULON A211 8x42 vs Olympus 8x40 DPSI (1 Viewer)

Ashoka

Hi everyone

TL;DR. Between Nikon ACULON A211 8x42 vs Olympus 8x40 DPSI, which one is better.

I am looking to buy a pair of bins for general purpose daytime viewing.

I would like to go for a bin with waterproofing but be in the price range of the above nikon or Olympus, which model would you suggest that's with waterproofing?

I am from India and Nikon and Olympus is widely available Bushnell is not so common but can get. Any other US/UK brands are not possible to get here.

Please help!

Welcome to BF Ashoka.

You may already have seen this post :
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3258587&postcount=10
Hopefully someone with first had experience of both models may be able to help. I suspect that the Nikon model is optically the better though it is also bigger, heavier and generally the more expensive of the two.

Two 8x40ish porros that offer some level of water resistance from Bushnell are the Legacy WP and the H2O models. I expect they are likely to be more expensive than the Olympus DPSI though likely less than the waterproof Nikon Action EX model. An alternative is to look out for a roof prism model though, as I'm sure you're aware, optically the porros should to be that bit better.

Hi Normjackson, thanks for replying!

Read that post now, learnt quite a few points from it (couldn't find this post when I searched for such comparisons earlier here)

Checked the price of Bushnell bins you referred and they are costly for my purpose. Ruled out :)

The Olympus 8x40 is out now as it is Bak7. Should go for Nikon. Now, I was wondering if you or anyone could let me know the difference between Nikon Aculon 7x35 and 8x42. (http://www.nikon.com/news/2013/0129_aculon_a211_01.htm).

My purpose is essentially to view general natural scenery/brids. I know 7x35 will have wider FOV, i am ok to sacrifice the wider FOV of 7x35 if 8x42 is optically better & has a bunch of other pluses than 7x35.

Sorry I don't have first hand experiece but it does seem both Aculon models generally get good reviews. You've probably already seen these threads which come up at the top of a Google search on Nikon 7x35 Aculon :
http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/446085-nikon-aculon-7x35-review/
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=285044

In the first thread a purchaser found that the size of 7x35 sweet spot and the level of deterioration of the image outside it were OK for his use on the night sky which is impressive. The second thread reminds us how sample variation can play its part.

I think the choice between models probably comes down to personal preference if both can be obtained at the same price. I suspect at lot of folk, given hands-on experience, might go for lighter and more compact 7x35 model.

Neither bino you mention is waterproof. It would seem that since this a specific concern of yours, that you might consider other options.

You might see if the Olympus EXPS1 is available to you. It is not waterproof either, but it will be better than the two binos you mention. You can read about it at the allbinos website, if of course you are interested......

Thanks Normjackson & Phil..!

@norm I just read both the threads you mentioned and I think I might go ahead with 7x35..

And...after PhilR mentioned about waterproof, I was thinking a bit, and I saw the Olympus Exps 1 it is expensive.. is there any inexpensive model with waterproof similar to Nikon aculon 7x35/8x42 ?

The Nikon Action EX 7x35 may be a better choice - it retails for the roughly the same price in the UK (not sure about relative prices in India I am afraid) but it is waterproof. Alternatively, you could get the aculon and purchase a neoprene pouch which would add a degree of waterproofing and protection - just an idea.

re: waterproofing

Ashoka as you've found it is a bit tricky for us to make recommendations from our different markets where availability and relative prices may be so different.

If we are definitely limiting our search to porros it might be worth looking at the models that have followed on from the waterproof Leupold Yosemite. The Bushnell Natureview 6x30 looks like one such model (though we are moving further from the original 8x40 spec |=)| ). Maybe there other less expensive versions in India but quality control and customer support might be issues. In the UK, for example, it would probably be recommended to spend the extra and buy an Opticron or Kowa branded model (and perhaps Leupold and Vortex in the US).

@Daniel - Action Ex 7x35 costs around 273 dollars in India (http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=18,193&From=INR&To=USD)
http://www.amazon.in/Nikon-Action-7x35-Extreme-Binocular/dp/B0001EFIGG

Electronics and gadgets are costly here in India(maybe due to import duty etc) whereas aculon 7x35 is $80+ around $10 more than US bought ones. So action ex is around 4 times expensive to buy in India :)

@Norm
Yes I understood :) all the models you mentioned are like the above action ex ones very expensive.. maybe they are similarly priced in US along with aculons but in India it is selling for a very expensive price tag. I think the sellers in India are enjoying collecting sort of premium for these rarely available products or something.

I have ordered a Nikon Aculon 7x35 :D

Thanks a lot !!! will share my experience in the forum definitely..

I have ordered a Nikon Aculon 7x35 :D Thanks a lot !!! will share my experience in the forum definitely..[/QUOTE said:
I came to this thread a bit late, but pleased to see that in my view, you made right choice.

I had the Olympus DPS 1 and sold it very quickly, I really didnt think much of it, it is ok for the money but thats about it. I also have sampled the Bushnell Natureview Now, last week in a store, I had a look through the Nikon Aculon 7x35, and I have to say, I was pretty impressed, it's a very good porro, weighty and solid feel, comfortable viewing and I KNEW I liked it better than both the DPS 1 and Bushnell Natureview within about 2 seconds. They had a Monarch 7 there as well and comparing them, I felt there was not much in it, I came away thinking the Aculon is good value. Hope you enjoy.
Good luck, Ben

I came to this thread a bit late, but pleased to see that in my view, you made right choice.

I had the Olympus DPS 1 and sold it very quickly, I really didnt think much of it, it is ok for the money but thats about it. I also have sampled the Bushnell Natureview Now, last week in a store, I had a look through the Nikon Aculon 7x35, and I have to say, I was pretty impressed, it's a very good porro, weighty and solid feel, comfortable viewing and I KNEW I liked it better than both the DPS 1 and Bushnell Natureview within about 2 seconds. They had a Monarch 7 there as well and comparing them, I felt there was not much in it, I came away thinking the Aculon is good value. Hope you enjoy.
Good luck, Ben

Thanks will share my experience !

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back