• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do they work on armoured bins? (1 Viewer)

There is a "How it's Made" segment on YouTube showing the assembly of what appear to Steiner 7x50 binoculars. They use UV curing cement to set prisms and another adhesive to fasten objectives to the body. After viewing the video I assumed they were essentially non-reparable.

Many times they can be repaired, but, more often than not, it's far from being cost effective. In the fleet, we called them "the disposable binocular." But, they have a German name, so that must mean they're the top of the mark. Right!? Even though, these days, many to most come from Asia. :cat:

Then came the magic. Reed flipped the switch and started “Pick’n” the guitar and making it sing (if you think mega-twang is singing) in his highly recognizable way. He played no more than 20 or third 30 seconds. But, that’s all it took.

Hi Bill

I saw a video of David Gilmour in the studio a couple of years back. He picked up a Telecaster and tuned it up. It took me by surprise that when doing this he and his Tele sounded just like me. When finished he steadily played about a dozen notes with about half of them sustained and with vibrato: didn't sound like me, had fabulous tone, beautiful singing vibrato but not too much, just perfect. As they say, its all in the fingers.

Lee

Lee,

And I have arthritis on one tiny portion of my body—the first knuckle on the index finger of my guitar hand. Of course, I never had much talent. I had to settle for the experience and bragging rights of owning the best.

Bill

I'm guessing for their porro binoculars, they have to pry to body open, clean off all the sealant, perform the repairwork, then re-apply sealent and nitrogen purge to close them up again.

Regarding the 14,500 Steiner binocular contract.
It would not surprise me if they just supplied new ones, as being the cheaper option.
Or may be repaired.
Either way might make sense.

A friend has had two replacement computers of a good make. He asked if he should return the ones with slight problems. They said no, just keep them. So he has three.

One of the lines that I sold as a a rep, literally had faulty items thrown against a wall. Two ladies carried out this task, and probably had very strong arms.

Alternatively I was able to buy them at 1/10th cost. Few would know the difference from good examples if carefully chosen.

The Steiner 8x30 r used by the British Army https://www.adorama.com/st830bst.html

should not be confused with the cheap and cheerful Steiner Military https://www.adorama.com/st830mm.html

I would guess the more expensive R http://www.steiner-optics.com/binoculars/military/m830r-military-8x30r

is optically similar to the Night Hunter model which allbinos tested in 2011.
Note the fantastic transmission graph http://www.allbinos.com/188-binoculars_review-Steiner_Night_Hunter_8x30_XP.html

The current model is the slightly improved Night Hunter Extreme. The bodies are made of Makrolon
http://www.plastics.covestro.com/en/Products/Makrolon

Last edited:
I have a Steiner 15x80, but don't know what it is as it says little on the binocular.
I'll have another look but I recall the aperture was about 78mm not 80mm.

Thanks to everyone. I've been playing with my primary new bins, 8X EII and 7X Nav Pro. As far as my eyes show to me the little Steiner does everything a cheap porro IF should do for me, and does it well. The view is respectable compared to the EII. Certainly not as accomplished but much nicer than the 10X late 80s Bushnell Japanese Natureview which works fine too.

The Nav Pro's competition was the Raptor 6.5X32. Remember the mission for these field glasses was a truck binocular. It can get cold here. Reports of stiff cold focus issues sealed their fate. Also fit and finish and a steady stream of quality issues from this 6/6.5x class of current porro bins sealed it as well. How many times have you read make sure you buy from a store with solid return policies or my favourite buy two and keep the one that works.

The Steiner is a cheap bin. Here it is $160 bucks more than the Raptor. Mission capable. It spent -30 night under the Jeep seat and worked flawlessly with no condensation when subjected to the shock of the warm house. Fit and finish is starting out real nice. I'm also liking the positives of a decent pair of 7X30 porro IF bins. Also the yachting and boating forums gave good reviews and they are the target customer.

Back to the spirit of the OP. I've learned a lot from this thread, thanks. I hate saying this but decent cheap bins with no fault warranty with the expectation of replacement is a very workable strategy.

My classic bin strategy has been changed the most. Classic porro bins only and with construction that comes apart with screws, no missing parts and special attention to rubber eyecups. Automatically price in the purchase decision the trip to a reputable shop like Suddarth. We have to use these folks to keep the service industry viable.

No 20-25 year old stuff from ebay, forum is full of disappointments. It is amazing when browsing how excellent condition also has no return, next listing please. My current wish list is the Nikon 7X35 E MC only. I started there but found they are rare enough and collectible enough to make them expensive then add a trip for service with seemingly endless shipping and a 7x E becomes almost as much as an EII. However a minty 7X35E is a $400 bin once it has been properly treated, max purchase $100. That would border on a miracle but one can dream.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back