• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lynx-BirdLife Taxonomic Checklist (1 Viewer)

Ceyx (lepidus) magarethae - Dimorphic Dwarf Kingfisher
Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Why not the original name in Mcgregor's book: Bourns's Kingfisher? Despite all his work in ornithology in the Philippines Bourns doesn't have any birds named after him there.

Unfortunately, we are in a period where there is a strong dislike for naming birds for people expressed by many taxonomists.

Niels

A. nigrirostris was originally called Black-billed Kingfisher. Might that cause confusion with Great-billed Kingfisher or Black-billed Kingfisher (Pelargopsis melanorhyncha)?

I wonder if BirdLife will revisit the lumping of Zoothera dauma? Several of the taxa involved are of significant conservation concern - most notably Amami Thrush - and widely recognised as valid species.

Zoothera dauma

I wonder if BirdLife will revisit the lumping of Zoothera dauma?
However, BirdLife is generally much more conservative than BOURC (eg, not recognising ~30 BOURC splits), and BOURC treats aurea as a ssp of Z dauma...

Common names

any idea what the new english names for these would be?
James, BirdLife has only stated common names in a few cases (eg, the dwarf kingfishers, and species that were already 'Under Review' in BirdLife Checklist v5). Perhaps BirdLife intends to consult with Lynx Edicions to agree the common names?

Elsewhere, I've used common names from IOC, HBW, Monroe & Sibley 1993, Avibase etc, in approximately that order of precedence, to give some context.

Where I couldn't see a common name in recent mainstream literature, I've left them as '?', although many will presumably be given geographical qualifiers.

PS. One BirdLife common name that I missed earlier: Coeligena (iris) aurora - Cutervo Rainbow Starfrontlet.

Last edited:
It is somewhat unsatisfied that they still ignore the Marianne white-eye Zosterops semiflavus. (see IOC List).

Marianne White-eye

It is somewhat unsatisfied that they still ignore the Marianne white-eye Zosterops semiflavus.
I suspect that this reflects the fact that BirdLife International is a conservation organisation, and therefore probably assigns a low priority to revising the taxonomy of long-extinct taxa.

I suspect that this reflects the fact that BirdLife International is a conservation organisation, and therefore probably assigns a low priority to revising the taxonomy of long-extinct taxa.

Okay, this is plausible. But the IUCN won't list this species in the Red List untill BLI recognize the Marianne white-eye as full species. By the way I'm curious whether they will remove Hypositta perdita from the next Red List.

Asian and African Crimson-winged Finch split by BirdLife (v. 5)

I have written this blog-post to celebrate our new Maghreb endemic (Algeria + Morocco) in late 2011 before BirdLife split the two taxa. The split was latter accepted in BirdLife checklist version 5. Both ‘new species’ are Least Concern so they won’t appear in the BL’s “globally threatened bird forum”. So this example shows that Birdlife is applying the criteria of Tobias et al (2010) even for some species that are not threatened. Thanks to Richard for his holarctic list who made it easier for me to see who has already accepted our endemic. Here are the entries of both species in BL's data zone:

Asian Crimson-winged Finch Rhodopechys sanguineus

African Crimson-winged Finch Rhodopechys alienus

African Crimson-winged Finch

Nice summary, Mohamed.

My wife and I stayed overnight at the ski resort at Oukaïmeden in Nov 2000, with the primary goal of seeing African Crimson-winged Finch. But it was a close-run thing – we somehow failed miserably on the first afternoon/evening, but were very relieved to find one(!) bird early the next morning.

BirdLife splits: 26 Mar 2013

Last edited:
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back