• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I found out I cant use individual focus binoculars (1 Viewer)

nacmancer

I got my hands on a Celestron Echelon 16 x 70, and I can not get a clear picture through them no matter what -/+ eyepiece setting I put them on. On all my center focus binoculars, my diopter setting is usually slightly below negative, but it feels the only way I can get a somewhat clearest picture on my Celestron Echelons is with my right eye eyepiece adjustment all the way towards negative, and even then its not enough.

I had my buddy look through them with his eyepieces adjusted to his eyes, and he says they are fine, so I'm here scratching my head in confusion.

Could it just be my eye condition? (I might have astigmatism, but never got prescrip eyeglasses for them) or is it something wrong with my Celestrons?

Hi

Hold them upside down so your eyes look through the opposite eyepieces to normal and then see what happens when you adjust the focuses.

Lee

I got my hands on a Celestron Echelon 16 x 70, and I can not get a clear picture through them no matter what -/+ eyepiece setting I put them on. On all my center focus binoculars, my diopter setting is usually slightly below negative, but it feels the only way I can get a somewhat clearest picture on my Celestron Echelons is with my right eye eyepiece adjustment all the way towards negative, and even then its not enough.

I had my buddy look through them with his eyepieces adjusted to his eyes, and he says they are fine, so I'm here scratching my head in confusion.

Could it just be my eye condition? (I might have astigmatism, but never got prescrip eyeglasses for them) or is it something wrong with my Celestrons?

Unless your astigmatism is REALLY bad it's not playing a part of your particular situation and a blanket statement of thinking you can’t use individual focus binos is a considerable stretch. With your friend seeing no problem, it sounds to me as if it’s a problem in dioptric accommodation. This may be YOUR (physiological) problem. But, more than likely, the problem rests with the instrument. You should probably send it back. Certain of Celestron binos are not exactly on the cutting edge of performance. I have been warning people about one product in particular for over a decade but the price point keeps dragging in the customers. :cat:

Last edited:
Unless your astigmatism is REALLY bad it's not playing a part of your particular situation and thinking you can’t use individual focus binos is a stretch. With your friend seeing no problem, it sounds to me as if it’s a problem in dioptric accommodation. This may be YOUR (physiological) problem. But, more than likely, the problem rests with the instrument. You should probably send it back. Certain of Celestron binos are not exactly on the cutting edge of performance. I have been warning people about one product in particular for over a decade but the price point keeps dragging in the customers. :cat:

Bill, good to hear from you. Hope all well.

Bill, good to hear from you. Hope all well.

Thanks Ben!'

Just trying to get used to all this snow. We didn't allow it in western Washington. All the native Idahoans keep telling us it's SO rare here—the Twin Falls area, anyway. However, you couldn't prove it by me as we are two for two! :cat:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back