• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id For Norfolk Bird Please!! (1 Viewer)

mikealison

Isaw this egret (I Think) at Cley Marsh last week. Can anyone tell me what sort of egret it is, that's if it is an egret.
Thanks
Mike

Attachments

• egret.jpg
    egret.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 103
  • egret1.jpg
    egret1.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 119
  • egret1a.jpg
    egret1a.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 140
I thought little egret at first, but it's bill seems to be bigger to me. It doesn't have any tufts on the back of it's head. Plus it was quite a way past the avocet, and it looked bigger than a little egret. There's picture of a little egret below and it just looks different.

Attachments

• le.jpg
    le.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 88
I was there a couple of weeks ago and there were two or three little egret. I noticed that sometimes the feathers are not quite so pronounced paricularly at distance. I think it also depends on if there's any breeze to lift them. The big green feet are a give away if they ever come out of the water.

Last edited:
The only alternatives are Great White Egret, which is the size of a Grey Heron and has a yellowish beak and Cattle Egret which is an altogether stockier bird, also with a palish beak. Your bird looks good for a juv/1st winter Little Egret, which lacks the yellow on the face of an adult in addition to the aigrettes (plumes) which are found on breeding condtion birds.

Its probably not possible to exclude the extremely rare N.American Snowy Egret on those pictures.

Richard D said:
Looks fine as a Little Egret to me.

Same here. I was watching a couple of them at Cley by the Ruddy Shelducks on Saturday August 13th. I can't see any possibilty of it being anything else.

I took this one at Breydon water a few weeks ago and was very excited as it was a life first and they do have a very large beak as you can see.

Attachments

• cropped.jpg
    cropped.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 91
Clearly a little egret. shape is perfect for little and on the one pic I think there is a hint of the "yellow socks" coming out of the water on one foot.
Very common bird in South Africa. I am quote familiar with them and I like this one for Little Egret.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back