• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x25 vs 8x20 (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
I've been looking for a pocket bino,
It is worth buying a model 8x25 (Swaro, Zeiss ..) before an 8x20 (in this case would be a Leica trinovid or maybe ultravid ??
The image quality is much higher in the 8x25?
And in relation to weight-size ??
Thank you very much for your advice.
Wachi

I have a Swarovski 8x25 and a Leica 8x20 Trinovid. There is a significant difference between them in size for pocket carry purposes. The Trinovid will fit into almost any shirt pocket, not so the Swarovski.

The Trinovid does not have stops on its hinges and it can be folded into a tight "Z" shape. This cannot be done with the Leica 8x20 Ultravid which has 90º stops on each barrel. For that reason it is easier to open up the Leica Ultravid and find your IPD quickly when you use it.

The 8x25, which is bulkier and heavier, also has larger eye cups and for that reason I find it easier to use than the Trinovid and it also has a wider FOV.

Image quality, to me anyway, doesn't seem that much different but I prefer the 8x25 for most uses. It is easier to use. The Trinovid is an an excellent theater and opera glass or for anywhere you want a small inconspicuous binocular to use.

Bob

Last edited:
Hello,
It is worth buying a model 8x25 (Swaro, Zeiss ..) before an 8x20 (in this case would be a Leica trinovid or maybe ultravid ??
Wachi
I would personally stick with an 8x25 because they are easier to use with a bigger exit pupil and they will be brighter if you intend to use them at all in low light situations. The Zeiss Terra HD 8x25 is nice for the money and it is made in Japan, whereas, the bigger Terra's are made in China. Here is a good price on one at B&H and a review from Cloudy Nights below where the guy liked it better than the Swarovski 8x25 CL-P.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...&m=Y&c3api=1876,92051678882,&is=REG&A=details

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...x25-pocket-binoculars-by-zeiss-and-swarovski/

Last edited:
Hello,
Wachi

How small of a pocket do you want it to fit? The small 8x20 models are significantly smaller than any 8x25.
If you already have a small 8x30 or 8x32, I'd definitely choose a small 8x20.
If you don't have an 8x32 already, an 8x25 is a better (easier to use) all-around small bin than is an 8x20.

If you get an 8x20, don't get Leica Trinovid or Zeiss Classic/Conquest--they are far inferior in many ways (optical, mechanical, ergonomic) to Leica Ultravid and Zeiss Victory. My favorite is Leica 8x20 Ultravid BL (no rubber armor).

--AP

Could a reader who has used these please say: What are the major differences in use between the Hawke Sapphire 8x25 (on the one hand) and the Leica Ultravid 8x20/Zeiss Victory 8x20?

Ease of viewing? From comments (not in this thread) by one user it seems that the 3.1 vs 2.5 mm exit pupil difference by itself may not enable reaching a comfortable view more easily and quickly on putting up the Sapphire to the eyes. The experience of others in this?

Another user has commented (not in this thread) that the 8x20 Ultravid is brighter than the 8x25 Sapphire. Again, has this been noted by others? Maybe better optics result in this depite the 1.6x greater light gathering area of the Sapphire's objective lenses.

An overall comparison between the two options?

For other comparisons familiar to me, I have a Sapphire 8x25 and an Ultravid 10x25. I find the clarity (degree of detail conveyed in the image) and brightness of the former amazingly good for its price.

I favor the lightest 8x25s, by Hawke and a few other manufrs, of 210 to 250 grams. Recommending, for better optical quality, the heavier 8x25s, by Swarovski for example, of more than 300 grams will not be that useful for me.

Thank you!

Hello,
Wachi
I just tried an 8x25 Zeiss Terra HD and it made me remember how much I HATE small exit pupils. They are just TOO finicky for me with eye placement. I returned mine and I am back to 5mm exit pupils. Give me my 8x42 or 9x45. Just my opinion.

Really, what interests me more, would be a model as manageable as possible to take it anywhere ..., fit well in the pocket, for general use ..., not just birding .., architecture, details more or less Distant, some glimpse of the moon when it leaves or at sunset, that bird with a beautiful song on that branch beyond, that tortoise on the other side of the bank of the river .., that airplane with red tail that flies away .., Etcetera, but clear with good sharpness and contrast in the image .. quality
Anyway, I do not know if I explain myself well !!
Many thanks
Wachi

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back