• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Losing my Spurn virginity (1 Viewer)

West End Birder

There is a good chance that I will be able to at last visit Spurn in early September. I should have the best part of a day there.

Some questions:

1) Where is there that I can stay nearby, hotel type or decent B+B?

2) Is it a case of just walk anywhere, or is there more logic to it than that?

Thanks in advance

WEB

Best advice is to stop at the wardens hut and ask them. Assuming the hut is still a hut and still there!!

Do the pub not have rooms? - a pub is always a preferred choice of mine...

Find your way to pretty much anywhere between, say, 14 and 21 on the linked map and get chatting to the numerous other birders that will inevitably be around at that time of year.

http://www.spurnbirdobservatory.co.uk/map/

Good luck. On one on spec visit to Spurn a few years back I picked up Rose-coloured Starling, Red-backed Shrike & Roseate Tern, with a Greenish Warbler on a return visit a few days later. It really can be a great place to visit, but beware, it's one of those places when on quiet days all you here is the phrase "you should have been here yesterday..."!

Cheers

James

Thanks to you all, I am probably (but not definitely) going to stay at the Dunedin Hotel in Partrington.

If it could rustle up a Barred Warbler that would be cool, Spurn I mean, not the hotel.

I might have to look at Ryan's suggestion though, but I suspect not near a pub, which, for me, is essential!

If at all possible keep things flexible with an eye on the weather (wind direction with an easterly element and ideally some rain / heavy cloud cover)

I am including it in between business meetings so a slight skive to be honest! I am sure, assuming it does not rain / incredibly windy, that it will be a nice walk anyway - if I can fluke a year tick or two then great, if not then at least I have 'been there'.

Ta for info

My last visit proper visit (excluding the Great Snipe twitch) was 27th August last year when I racked up Icterine Warbler, Barred Warbler, Wryneck, Red-backed Shrike and Red-breasted Fly, plus very impressive numbers of Pied Fly, Whinchat, Redstart, Yellow Wagtails etc etc.

There is the Spurn Migration Festival in early September.

Something to either go for or avoid, depending on what you are looking for.

Steve

Thanks to you all, I am probably (but not definitely) going to stay at the Dunedin Hotel in Partrington.

If it could rustle up a Barred Warbler that would be cool, Spurn I mean, not the hotel.

I might have to look at Ryan's suggestion though, but I suspect not near a pub, which, for me, is essential!

Its within easy walking distance of the Crown and Anchor

Is that the same as staggering distance!

My date is firmly set due to meetings either side, otherwise judging from the feedback the Spurn Migration Festival looked good.

Well I am actually going to get a day at Spurn after all these years, so hopefully that Barred Warbler (or another) can stay until Wednesday night - would be my 350th lifer. Do say hello if you see a fat balding 55 year old (might be lots there!)

Well I am actually going to get a day at Spurn after all these years, so hopefully that Barred Warbler (or another) can stay until Wednesday night - would be my 350th lifer. Do say hello if you see a fat balding 55 year old (might be lots there!)

Forecast looks good next week so you should get something interesting, even if not BW. Good luck! :t:

Never heard of it - is it anything decent?

hahahaha yeah its a wind up - Been twice and its mega. enjoy

I just dug out an old notebook which has details of my last trip to Spurn: 27th Sept 1998. I had just dropped my then girlfriend in Leeds and had a few hours free on my way back to Grantham, so thought I'd taken in Spurn, just on the off-chance. I had been so busy in the previous couple of days that I had no idea what was around....

It was amazing! In the two hours I had spare I saw a Subalpine Warbler and a Common Rosefinch in the same bush, at least 4 Jack Snipe, "good numbers" of Redstart, a Red-breasted Flycatcher at 2 meters range, plus my first Redwing of the autumn.

My notebook also states that other birds around Spurn that day that I didn't see included a Red-throated Pipit, two Rustic Buntings, two Yellow-browed Warblers, a Barred Warbler and a Bluethroat.

I'll be heading down the east coast of the UK on roughly the same dates this autumn, so might just drop in again, on the off-chance!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back