• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bars with the most unusual bird names (1 Viewer)

The hangout for J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis in Oxford was The Bird and the Baby*. Not really that unusual I suppose, given some of the gloriously bizarre pub names on your side of the Pond, but notable nonetheless.

*Actually, I think the actual name was/is The Eagle and the Child, but the locals call it The Bird and the Baby.

Last edited:
There's a "Snowy Owl" in Cramlington.

Not too mad in itself, but instead of taking the opportunity to use a realistic image of such a fantastic bird on the pub sign, they've gone with a bizarre, cartoony thing of a snowy owl on skis, wearing a red bobble hat!

Hmph!!

;)

In the centre of Hull we have the Goose & Granite - no clue as to why they would pair a bird with a lump of stone, but serves nice food ( when open ) ;)

Mal Skelton

Allen S. Moore said:
What are the most unusual bird names that BirdForum members have found on bars (or similar establishments)?
One that I have seen was Urogallo in Madrid, between Gran Via and Calle Mayor.
Allen

Yes, I've obviously started with an unbeatable bird name there! Here in the Isle of Man we have the likes of the Raven, Swan, Heron and Falcon's Nest. I once (20 years ago) passed a pub called the Ruddy Duck at Peakirk near Peterborough in England.

There is a Pub called the Whistling Duck in Banwell,Somerset,I can`t think how it got it`s name as we only have a few mallard`s here.Good beer though!

malskelton said:
In the centre of Hull we have the Goose & Granite - no clue as to why they would pair a bird with a lump of stone, but serves nice food ( when open ) ;)

Mal Skelton

I think that was just one of those 'amusing' word juxtapositions that pub chains are keen on (e.g. Rat and Parrot, Slug & Lettuce). There's also a Whistling Goose on Sutton Fields (a 'fun pub', *shudder*), which was the result of a competition held by the brewers and the local rag to find a name. Some old lady just thought it sounded nice. Only geese you get round there are flyover Canadas, but I suppose the Honking Goose wouldn't sound so pleasant.

malskelton said:

Mal Skelton

I think that was just one of those 'amusing' word juxtapositions that pub chains are keen on (e.g. Rat and Parrot, Slug & Lettuce). There's also a Whistling Goose on Sutton Fields (a 'fun pub', *shudder*), which was the result of a competition held by the brewers and the local rag to find a name. Some old lady just thought it sounded nice. Only geese you get round there are flyover Canadas, but I suppose the Honking Goose wouldn't sound so pleasant.

3 pubs within a mile of my house are
The Kestrel
The Mallard
and The Phoenix
I know the last one is mythical but can anyone beat 3?

There is a Public House in the village of Entwistle just north of Bolton, Lancashire and it is called "The Strawberry Duck" and the pub sign has a picture of a Shelduck on it.

peterbest37 said:
There is a Public House in the village of Entwistle just north of Bolton, Lancashire and it is called "The Strawberry Duck" and the pub sign has a picture of a Shelduck on it.

Hi Pete. I remember the strawberry duck being in the Bolton Evening News the punters reporting a Golden Eagle flying over. Great team by the way. My dad used to see a Barn Owl at Burnden in the seventies

There's a pub at Banwell near Weston-super-Mare called the Whistling Duck.

Moving from birds to butterflies........
There used to be a pub, it might still be there, near Oundle, that was called the Chequered Skipper. It took a hell of a lot of finding, and I remember spending an evening entirely on my tod there (this was when I was truck-driving for a living and used the opportunity to tick beers). It was crammed full of butterfly memorobilia and had its own brew called Chequered Skipper, which I think was actually brewed by Paine's or someone similar.
Happy Days.

My favourite bar in Perth, WA is the Lucky Shag. It is on a jetty built out on the Swan River not far from the CBD and is usually surrounded by several species of cormorants, as well as other birds. The food and drink recommend it, too.

I can thoroughly recommend THE OYSTERCATCHER at Otter Ferry in Argyll.... real ale... that you can take onto the beach..... and watch Black-throated divers, Red-throated divers, gannets, ringed plover, black guilimots.........................!.

is there a pub called the Nutcracker? and surely the Turks Head on Aggy should be renamed the Nighthawk?, alas the Falcon and Firkin, on the north side of Vicroria Park, East London is now called the Overpriced Ciabatta or some such

Nick

Last edited:
I can thoroughly recommend THE OYSTERCATCHER at Otter Ferry in Argyll.... real ale... that you can take onto the beach..... and watch Black-throated divers, Red-throated divers, gannets, ringed plover, black guilimots.........................!.

Sounds good. Where's Otter Ferry?

Another capercaillie restaurant

What are the most unusual bird names that BirdForum members have found on bars (or similar establishments)?
One that I have seen was Urogallo in Madrid, between Gran Via and Calle Mayor.
Allen

Back to the first post, I passed a bar or restaurant called "Mesón de Urogallo" on the way in to Oviedo from Gijón when I was in northern Spain in August.

There used to be a pub in or near Hitchin called the Three Moorhens, and another near Andover the Black Swan always referred to as the Mucky Duck...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back