• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in the Algarve (1 Viewer)

paulwfromtheden

Just back from hols. It wasn't a birding trip, but I managed to spend a morning with the bins in the wetlands just to the north of a place called Villa Real de Saint Antonio, right on the river Guadiana on the Spanish border. Absolutely fantastic place, in the space of about 30 minutes I managed to see:=

• Osprey
  • Hobby
  • Marsh Harrier
  • 500 Flamingos (lifer)
  • Spoonbill (lifer)
  • Caspian Tern (absolutely chuffed with this one)(lifer)
  • Black Stork (lifer)
  • Black-Winged Stilt (lifer)

Also managed a good number of red rumped swallows, which were also a life tick for me.
I will go back and do it properly. There were about 4/5 other birds I could not id, and my camera had conveniently broken!!
I have never really considered birding abroad, but that was stunning....

Last edited:
Just back from hols. It wasn't a birding trip, but I managed to spend a morning with the bins in the wetlands just to the north of a place called Villa Real de Saint Antonio, right on the river Guadiana on the Spanish border. Absolutely fantastic place, in the space of about 30 minutes I managed to see:=

• Osprey
  • Hobby
  • Marsh Harrier
  • 500 Flamingos (lifer)
  • Spoonbill (lifer)
  • Caspian Tern (absolutely chuffed with this one)(lifer)
  • Black Stork (lifer)
  • Black-Winged Stilt (lifer)

Also managed a good number of red rumped swallows, which were also a life tick for me.
I will go back and do it properly. There were about 4/5 other birds I could not id, and my camera had conveniently broken!!

Nice. The Algarve is a superb area for birdwatching, and the River Guadiana is one of the best bits The area you describe is a well known birding location, called Castro Marim. Have a look at this link http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/spain/SW-spain/sw-aug-06.htm. Nice and cheap to get to as well.

Agree with Coigach,the Algarve is superb!
I go in Feb most years and thoroughly enjoy it.
If you can,next time you go,visit Quintos de Lagos,another great place
where you are almost gauranteed Purple Gallinule.
This year I had RC Pochard,Serin and a special bonus of a Bluethroat.
The year before the best bird was a Glossy Ibis
We took the boat trip up the Gaurdiana this year and had distant views of Spoonbill,Cattle egret and a few Raptors that were too far away to ID.
We intend to go back next Feb and explore the Castro Marim area on foot.
Pera Marshes is another good spot.

Nice. The Algarve is a superb area for birdwatching, and the River Guadiana is one of the best bits The area you describe is a well known birding location, called Castro Marim. Have a look at this link http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/spain/SW-spain/sw-aug-06.htm. Nice and cheap to get to as well.

Thanks Bobby, I'm already planning it, as Castro Marim is about a 10 minute walk from the station, so flight to Faro, and a train up to Vila Real. Nice and easy.
Great article as well.

Just back from hols. It wasn't a birding trip,

How could any holiday not be a birding trip?;) Congratulations on all the new birds.

Birding abroad is a gas....so many lifers easily found. Even if most are common wherever you are they are still new to a first time visitor.:-O

Joanne

How could any holiday not be a birding trip?;) Congratulations on all the new birds.

Birding abroad is a gas....so many lifers easily found. Even if most are common wherever you are they are still new to a first time visitor.:-O

Joanne

Hi Joanne,
We had to do the beach and a trip to Seville (tell me - why do women, when they arrive at a city that's steeped in 1000 years of Moorish/Christian history chose to get off the coach and head straight for M&S??).
However, I smuggled the bins aboard and we managed to do a bit.
Next time it will be a birding only trip!

Hi Joanne,
We had to do the beach and a trip to Seville (tell me - why do women, when they arrive at a city that's steeped in 1000 years of Moorish/Christian history chose to get off the coach and head straight for M&S??).

LOL, you wouldn't catch me doing that.;)
However, I smuggled the bins aboard and we managed to do a bit.
!

Not surprised.....I carry a small pair of bins around in my handbag all the time when not birding.

Joanne

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back