• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shire Wildlife Books (1 Viewer)

pduxon

Quacked up Member
Whilst out Saturday I came across some books published by Shire about wildlife. These had titles like The Blackbird, The Redshank, The Otter etc what are these like. They cost £2.50 each

pduxon said:
Whilst out Saturday I came across some books published by Shire about wildlife. These had titles like The Blackbird, The Redshank, The Otter etc what are these like. They cost £2.50 each

Pete - I have The Starling, The Swallow, The Cuckoo, The Sparrowhawk (no information here about how to keep them away from my precious bluetits)!!!!! - and The Bluetit!!!!! I'll bring them to Minsmeet, and if you have time you can have a look through them.

I've got a few of them...Bats,Blue Tits,Swallows...and despite their being quite cheap I think they are VERY good value!
Just a shame they don't get a wider coverage as they are a perfect introduction to a subject...sure there's a website for the publishers...just see if I can find it......

http://www.shirebooks.co.uk/

yep, checked it and it's ok! They do quite a wide subjects - not just wildlife and natural history - well worth a look!
Hope this all helps!

GILL XXX

Last edited:
These are excellent books and amazing value for money. They could be described as with much more detail than a field guide (for the one species) but not deep, technical science. Very good background reading for the species and generally written by leading experts in their fields.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back