• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Algarve birding late Feb/March 2007 (1 Viewer)

Benderloch

I was there in late Feb/early March and the famous Pera Marsh just east of Armacao de Pera had just been drained again to reduce the pollution from sewage. All but a few Mallards had abandoned the exposed mud, but a small pond on the Pera side of the marsh could be seen through the telescope to hold water with a few Shoveller and Purple Swamp Hen. In the main basin, Avocets and Black Tailed Godwits were the main feature, with Moorhen, Black-winged Stilts and Redshank down at the eastern end at the edge of the sedges. Only two Flamingo were seen. A single Squacco Heron was spotted by a party of UK birders and a few Ruff , White Stork and Grey Heron were also there along with a Peregrine on another day. Zitting cisticolas buzzed about, Corn Buntings wheezed and a nice Hare was seen. Marsh Harrier appeared occasionally and put up a flock of Sanderling. We can only hope that the basin fills up again and more birds return.

The regular Thursday morning bird ringing at Cruzinha near Alvor (run by the A Rocha organisation) was well attended. Among the species ringed were Great Tit, Serin, Hoopoe, Waxbill, Goldfinch (prominent everywhere we went), Blackcap and Greenfinch. They have a zoology student from Cardiff University doing a placement there - lucky chap! The weather was almost unfailingly sunny with breezes onshore (pleasant) or offshore (stronger and cooler). I thought it a bit odd that the Godwits were well into summer plumage, while Spotted Redshank were still very much in winter coat. At Quinta do Lago, the lake by the San Lorenzo golf course offered the usual Gadwall, Coot, Shoveller, Pochard, Red Crested Pochard, Little and Great Crested Grebe, Cormorant and Moorhen. A few Purple Swamphen were grazing the golf course instead of stripping reeds. This could be a bad evolutionary move as they run the risk of 'death by golf ball impact'. Cetti's Warblers sang, Terrapins did very little and frogs croaked their mating calls. The adjacent estuary had Dunlin, Grey Plover, Ringed Plover, Turnstone and a few Greenshank, plus the larger waders seen at Pera Marsh.

In the Ria Formosa Reserve at Quinta Marim (Olhau) a pair of White Stork is conveniently nesting in a pine. Kentish Plover were engaging in some behaviour that I assume related to breeding! Sadly, no Bluethroat seen this year. Some digiscoping was done with fair results, some of which might grace this website when slightly edited. It will seem a long time before next Feb comes around and we go back, but we have the arrival of migrants to look forward to here and, hopefully, a summer!

Hi Benderloch
Nice report.
It was`nt you and your wife that I walked up to the lagoon at Quinta de Lagos with was it?
If so I managed to see the Bluethroat again and got a snap of it.
I will put it on as soon as I have sorted them all.

Quinta do Lago

Stranger said:
Hi Benderloch
Nice report.
It was`nt you and your wife that I walked up to the lagoon at Quinta de Lagos with was it?
If so I managed to see the Bluethroat again and got a snap of it.
I will put it on as soon as I have sorted them all.

Hi Stranger!
No, I don't recall walking to the lake with anyone with birding tendencies. There waa guy there on the evening of the 10th with (D)SLR and big lens, but he was busy. Glad you got a Bluethroat. I wasn't feeling too well the second week owing to a chest infection, so my patience for looking for small birds was a bit low - hence my focus on waders and waterfowl. Hope we are luckier next year. We are passing through Somerset next month on our way to Cornwall and might find an hour or two to bird near M5. Meanwhile, happy birding to you.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back