• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leica Ultravid Models (1 Viewer)

tlb

I noticed this evening that Eagle Optics and SouthWest Optics' websites are now showing new Ultravids - 8x32, 10x32, 8x20 and 10x25. Pricing is also listed.

Tony

tlb said:
I noticed this evening that Eagle Optics and SouthWest Optics' websites are now showing new Ultravids - 8x32, 10x32, 8x20 and 10x25. Pricing is also listed.

Tony

thanks for the info!
even found photos of them at SouthWest optics page...=)

Tried out the 8x32s at the Rutland Birdfair yesterday.Compared them against 8x42 Ultravids and on a very overcast day could see no difference between the two whatsoever,I've had the 8x42s since Feb this year and am delighted with them,but if the 8x 32s had been available when i got the 8x42s i would have gone for the 32s,200 grams lighter smaller and about £80 less.These are very comfortable to look through and hold and the image is stunning.Also looked through the new Nikon8x42 HGLs 20%lighter than the old model and the Zeiss FLs 8x42,but was unable to do a side by side comparison.But i think there is so little to choose between the top end binoculars that it comes down to how they feel.Finally after all the hype on here i tried the Nikon 8x32 SEs,could see no difference between these and the8x42 new HGLs and far brighter and better than the 8x32HGs if only they had pull up eye cups and a broader focusing wheel then these would be the Calsberg of binoculars.

how do the new HGL:s look and feel ??
is it just less rubber armouring reducing the weight, or any other design updates?
200g less is a big reduction if the external of the binos is still the same..spy-pics, anyone!

Buing new bins this autumn will be very interesting with all these new models to look at...

Hi,

I also looked through the Ultravid 8*32's yesterday at the birdfair and I was very impressed by optical performance, close focus and the general usability of them. When they are released in October I think I might be tempted...

Regards,
Jamie

Gorank.The Nikon HGLs did'nt look any different i had'nt even bothered to look through them untill i asked one of the Nikon staff when the new HGLs would be coming out and was told they were out on display already but when picking them up you immediately noticed the weight difference.They looked the same handled the same and opically were superb.They were only slightly heavier than the 8x32s.When i brought my Ultravids i compared them with the Nikons and optically i could see no difference but the Nikons were far to heavey.If the HGLs had been out it could have been a closer contest.But i think the 8x32 Ultravids are the best ive handled.

Ragna said:
Gorank.The Nikon HGLs did'nt look any different i had'nt even bothered to look through them untill i asked one of the Nikon staff when the new HGLs would be coming out and was told they were out on display already but when picking them up you immediately noticed the weight difference.They looked the same handled the same and opically were superb.They were only slightly heavier than the 8x32s.When i brought my Ultravids i compared them with the Nikons and optically i could see no difference but the Nikons were far to heavey.If the HGLs had been out it could have been a closer contest.But i think the 8x32 Ultravids are the best ive handled.

the 8x32 ultravids look very tasty but I probably wont buy 13mm-eye relief binos again....=)

ultravid problems

I am just back from 2 weks birding in Ecuador with a friend who recently bought a pair of 10x42 ultravids with the leather, rather than rubber armouring. Two significant problems emerged after only a few days use:

1. In the rainforest during consistently wet weather the leather coverings blistered and became detached form the binocular barrels. Not what you expect from new expensive bins.

2, The eypieces failed to lock in place as they should do.

Seems to me that Leica have some real quality control problems with these glasses.

Hector Galbraith

hg1 said:
In the rainforest during consistently wet weather the leather coverings blistered and became detached form the binocular barrels. Not what you expect from new expensive bins.

This confirms my a priori fear about the leather covering. If I'd bought the Ultravid, I would've gone with the standard rubber-covered model. I think the leather model is supposed to be more of a collector's item rather than something you'd use in the field.

J Duffie said:
Hi,

I also looked through the Ultravid 8*32's yesterday at the birdfair and I was very impressed by optical performance, close focus and the general usability of them. When they are released in October I think I might be tempted...

Regards,
Jamie
Jamie,

Did they have that thumb rest that that the 42s have?

Thanks...Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back