• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best outfit for £400 +/- (1 Viewer)

Thanks Joachim. It arrived today, but I've yet to get out and play. I've already planned a trip to the local rspb reserve (Rainham Marshes) on Saturday morning :).

Just a quick update, fresh back from Rainham Marshes. All I can say is WOW the MM3 is better than expected. I compared it to all the RSPB / Viking optics and not until you get to the HD model for £999 do you get the same quality.
Anyway had a great morning watching Reed buntings, Curlew, 1000's of lapwings all going up together as the marsh harrier flies over. Nice to see snipe and tufted duck. Not until getting the scope did I realise the great plumage on Teal and even the lapwing.

Can you tell, I'm very happy!

The Nikon Fieldscope EDIII with the 30x WA was a terrific deal at the price asked..I had one with that same eyepiece..Its optical quality is formidable ,and it is a very solid well made instrument with superb mechanics..a very powerful scope too,with its 425mm focal lenght,getting a lot of power out of any given eyepiece.I also would like to see it side by side with the MM3..I actually would love to try the small MM3..wonder if Orix in Barcelona stocks them..

Last edited:
Just a quick update, fresh back from Rainham Marshes. All I can say is WOW the MM3 is better than expected. I compared it to all the RSPB / Viking optics and not until you get to the HD model for £999 do you get the same quality.
Anyway had a great morning watching Reed buntings, Curlew, 1000's of lapwings all going up together as the marsh harrier flies over. Nice to see snipe and tufted duck. Not until getting the scope did I realise the great plumage on Teal and even the lapwing.

Can you tell, I'm very happy!

I had an MM2 and then an MM3 with an SDL zoom.
Also bought an ES80ED.
I only use the MM3 now - the ES80 is just tooooo heavy and where I watch is mostly in storms and all that weight on a light carbon fibre tripod is hard to manage.
MM3 just starts to suffer in poor light but I've used it to show folk birds they would never have seen left to their own devices.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back