• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron M2 100 ED (1 Viewer)

albatrosviajero

Hello,
Anyone have compared this spotting scope with others 100mm scopes?
Is true ED or APO, without CA in high magnifications? For visual ?
Some have compared with the older Celestron Regal FD 100 ?
Thanks in advance.
Fran

Hello,
Anyone have compared this spotting scope with others 100mm scopes?
Is true ED or APO, without CA in high magnifications? For visual ?
Some have compared with the older Celestron Regal FD 100 ?
Thanks in advance.
Fran

Hi,

without having tested the scope from the specs it uses an air spaced ED doublet and thus is not a true triplet APO but should come pretty close.
Not sure if there is spotting scopes with a triplet objective as these tend to be very expensive and heavy.

You did see the old thread from 2013 on these?

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=250239

Regards,

Joachim

You can look info of the 80 and 65, i bet besides the sizes the lens are the same.

Not even the 95 swa is apo, so the regal might show ca at high mags, but on some targets in a not too much bothering amount. I owned the previous model and to me wasnt a problem in visual. Like always, photo is more sensitive and i dont dare to say nothing.

Visually i dont think there would be any difference between the M2 and the original Regal series,..the differences are in weight,that seems to have been reduced with change of materials .The original Regals were very heavy ,and large,but the feeling was that of a super tough ,solid instrument.And in spite of its large size,it was very compact ..the focus knob,for instance, was inserted in the body ,and didt protrude in any way,also making it structurally stronger in the event of a fall or a hit..and same is true for the tripod foot. I only owned the 65 ,and it was a very good scope..my unit was optically excellent( still is ,but not for me to enjoy,since i traded it)and the build was equally impressive.The massive 100mm is actually one model that i want to try at some point

What máximum magnification with the Regal?
Anyone have using the scope for astro quick look?
Thanks

Hi,

it comes with an 8-24mm zoom EP giving 22-67x magnification (for 899€ at least where I looked, there might be body only offers too). It takes 1.25" astro EPs so one can use other magnifications too (at least mechanically - there might be ones where it doesn't reach focus - most probably anything with a barlow). Also you will be limited in field of view (by astro standards) by the 1.25" EPs and the prism size - so don't believe you get a great richfield telescope... with the zoom it's given as 1.9 to 0.9 degree translating to 33-16m/1000m which is rather narrow and probably the zoom is to blame.

Maximum usable magnification depends a lot on conditions (ambient and instrument temperature, air currents etc. - what the astro guys call seeing).
For terrestial I would say 100x or 120x in a stretch (and you need a very stable tripd for that) and astronomically the usual aperture x 2 for 200x as maximum usable magnification.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back