• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (1 Viewer)

Last edited:
London? The Wilson's Phalarope seems to have departed..... More boredom ahead?

Only news that I have seen for Corvo today is 2 Hooded Warblers, Bay-breasted Warbler, Philadelphia Vireo, Swainson's Thrush & Blackpoll Warbler and for Flores is Ovenbird & Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

They have seen Philadelphia Vireo, Blackpoll Warbler & Ovenbird.

All the best

What species/numbers would you see on Corvo on an average day ??, leaving out the rarities.

There are eight species of passerine that breed on Corvo... These being; Blackcap, Starling, Blackbird, House Sparrow, Grey Wagtail, Chaffinch, Goldfinch (scarce), and Canary.

Pretty much everything else is a vagrant.

On a day entirely lacking in vagrants 15 species would be about average.

As I'm sure anyone who has birded the island will tell you, it's hard going in easterlies....

There are eight species of passerine that breed on Corvo...

As I'm sure anyone who has birded the island will tell you, it's hard going in easterlies....

But they weren't there during a quiet period - even if they didn't connect with all, species present in the two weeks they were there included:

- Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Blue-winged Teal, American Coot, Greater Yellowlegs, Wilson's Snipe, Upland Sandpiper.

- Belted Kingfisher, Yellow-billed Cuckoo.

- Philadelphia Vireo, Red-eyed Vireo, Yellow-throated Vireo, Ovenbird, Blackpoll Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler, Yellowthroat, Blackburnian Warbler, Northern Waterthrush, Dickcissel, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Bobolink.

The list would be even longer if they'd stayed a day or so longer.

Understand the frustration of missing birds, but to be bored with Corvo and end up going to Britain instead (which has exactly what at present?) is kind of funny.

"We're on the go again, just booked tickets to London. And, yes we do realise that we should never have left the Azores and Corvo, hell it would probably be our best move even now to go back there. We probably missed out on some 5-10 ticks on that lousy decision. We were bored with Corvo though and that is the simple explanation. There are no reasonable tickets to get hold of though, so that is not an option."

Only part of the equation (is the Corvo bit trickier?), but Ryanair flight on Weds morning 25th Lisbon to Terceira - 41 Euros ...

If I had that much money myself I'd be tempted ...

Only part of the equation (is the Corvo bit trickier?), but Ryanair flight on Weds morning 25th Lisbon to Terceira - 41 Euros ...

Maybe not three tickets? And I don't think they will split up. Currently both Dusky and Radde's Warbler on Heligoland, but I guess they could get that in the UK too?

I'm really interested if anybody will try another WP Big Year in the near future.
I've been asking myself many times what kind of Big Year I would do if I ever had the time, the money and the support. Germany, WP, world or something completely different?

Regardless of what the reasons for cutting Corvo short, the guys are now in the UK and the first target will be the long staying Wilson's Phalarope for starters. Dusky and Radde's Warblers will, no doubt, be high on the list of species they will want to put to bed, Further afield, the incredibly showy Grey Cheeked Thrush will have no doubt caught their attention in Ireland.

The Corvo bit is much trickier.....
Small plane, limited seats and therefore rather expensive, especially when not booked in advance.

André

Regardless of what the reasons for cutting Corvo short, the guys are now in the UK and the first target will be the long staying Wilson's Phalarope for starters. Dusky and Radde's Warblers will, no doubt, be high on the list of species they will want to put to bed, Further afield, the incredibly showy Grey Cheeked Thrush will have no doubt caught their attention in Ireland.

Wilson's Phalarope seems to have gone (not surprising, given its long-stay). Wilson's Snipe not reported today. Dusky Warbler on Scilly (would be an expensive trip for just that). Would Black Scoter be a new addition for them?

Two-barred Greenish Warbler in Sweden today (ouch!)

I'm sure its covered up-thread somewhere, but what is the generally accepted WP year-list record currently?

No official number yet, but LGRE claims 657 under Club400 taxonomy. I guess that's around 620 under IOC then? Don't have too much insight into his taxonomy, but I know he likes to split.

Their luck seems to have left them completely, now. Spirits must be really down now :/

7 new birds for the year still on Corvo today. Is there anywhere else in WP where they will get that many birds in one location?

They seriously just need to get back to the Azores.

Cheers

Alan

7 new birds for the year still on Corvo today. Is there anywhere else in WP where they will get that many birds in one location?

They seriously just need to get back to the Azores.

Cheers

Alan

Alan

Yes. On Santiago, Cape Verde, in a day with seawatching in the morning, they could add twelve:-
Fea's Petrel
Cape Verde Shearwater
Boyd's Shearwater
Red-billed Tropicbird
Brown Booby
Helmeted Guineafowl
Cape Verde Swift
Grey-headed Kingfisher
Iago Sparrow
Cape Verde Buzzard
Cape Verde Warbler
Black-headed Heron

(I've not seen Cape Verde Storm-petrel from there.)

If there is a Intermediate Egret as well, make that one more.

(But of course, most of those will definitely be available to 31st December.)

All the best

Last edited:
Way to ruin a great year. Hope the next big year will be done by people not only lucky but smart.

I think that's an unnecessarily unpleasant comment - they've been humble and honest enough to admit their occasional wrong decisions and I suspect that I'm not alone in admiring what they've achieved so far. So there's no need to be "kicking a man when he's down"

Also on Azores yesterday Green Heron Faial and American Buff-bellied Pipit Feteira. Being back on the Azores, even if they are not on Corvo might still be better than being in UK currently. Of course, that is easy to say but maybe not so easy to put into action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back