• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White on White Photography (1 Viewer)

Maroon Jay

Airborne
Canada
It is winter in Canada and snow covers the ground. I am going to try to photograph as many white critters as possible this winter. The list includes Gyrfalcon, Snowy Owl, Ptarmigan, Snow Bunting, Ermine and white rabbit. I start tomorrow with a search for the Snowy Owl in central Alberta.

That sounds like a great project you've lined up for yourself MJ. Good luck.

Hope you'll let us see the results too.

Making the best of monochrome is a decent challenge: you have an array of charismatic species lined up that we can all look forward to - go for it!

John

It is winter in Canada and snow covers the ground. I am going to try to photograph as many white critters as possible this winter. The list includes Gyrfalcon, Snowy Owl, Ptarmigan, Snow Bunting, Ermine and white rabbit. I start tomorrow with a search for the Snowy Owl in central Alberta.
Good luck! :t:

These type of photos can look spectacular with the body of a Snowy Owl for instance seeming to disappear, leaving just the darker markings and eyes floating in space ..... :cat:

I look forward to seeing the results of the various critters and photographic opportunities.

Chosun :gh:

The first day of my white on white photography got cancelled due to a mechanical problem with the furnace in my house. Today I managed to get out searching for Snowy Owls. After driving around all day I found two of them. The first was so far away it was just a white dot. The second was still far away but close enough to try for a photo. It is heavily cropped and not so great. This is a first-year bird. They get whiter as they get older. There are not an lot of Snowies around and getting close enough for a good photo is difficult. I also saw an Ermine. It ran across the road right in front of me and disappeared before I could get a photo. The good news is that I have three months for this project before heading to Mexico at the end of Feb. Will try again in a few days.

Attachments

• DSC_4179 (3).JPG
    DSC_4179 (3).JPG
    153 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Ermine Stakeout! I went back to the place were I saw the ermine. I packed a lunch and was determined to get a photo If I had to stay there all day. But the little critter did not put in an appearance. Back to Snowy Owls tomorrow.

A great start MJ. Such lovely owls these. I'll look forward to you finding some more of them.... and the 'whiter' ones!

Shame the ermine didn't co-operate, but I'm sure you'll get one in the end.

Drove around all day looking for Snowy Owls. Saw only one and too far away to photograph. However, I came across a massive flock of Snow Buntings. I am guessing at 600 or more. I am not too good at counting large flocks of birds. I pulled over and stopped and after a while some of them landed close enough to photograph. One down and five white critters to go.

Attachments

• DSC_4258 (2)s.jpg
    DSC_4258 (2)s.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Flying 3cs.jpg
    Flying 3cs.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Two cracking pictures of this lovely bunting MJ.

I love watching a flock of these in flight, as it looks like snow flakes are blowing around LOL. They're well named, aren't they.

Strange expression - is it supposed to be complimentary? To me, anything to do with smoking is utterly revolting and abhorrent ;)[/QUOTE

Think BBQ - or if you want a really good steak, get the pan smokin' hot before you put it in, sear, flip, sear, serve!

Smokin'.....

John

Another day of Snowy Owl hunting. I found another young one with lots of black on it and his eyes closed. He was not sleeping; just squinting as the sun was in his face. Too bad as they have amazing orange eyes. It has a nice blue background because he was up on a telephone pole. But I wanted a white, snowy background. I found a big, pure white one, but too far away for a sharp photo. Not sure how many years it takes for them to turn white. Females never do get 100% white, but a lot whiter than this one which is a first year bird. Old males can get to be pure white. Don't know how long they live on average. I will keep trying.

Attachments

• Snowy 4cs.jpg
    Snowy 4cs.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Snowy 5cc (2)s.jpg
    Snowy 5cc (2)s.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 80
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back