• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sigma 170-500mm or 50-500mm (1 Viewer)

Photos with Sigma 170-500mm lens

Which one will work the best with my k100d?
Is the extra few hundred quid extra for the 50-500 worth it?

Craig, I can't comment on the 50-500 (never used one), but I do own the Sigma 170-500 and use it on my DS. I've not had the opportunity to use it much, but just the other day I saw this "lizard" on my roof - something appeared to be wrong with it's tail and hind leg. Grabbed the zoom and took several shots, but wanted more reach to try to figure out what was wrong so added a *cheap* 2x teleconverter - the second shot was taken at 500mm with the 2x (1000mm total) - in manual mode. Other than the very small DOF, I can't fault the lens at all!!

Edit - additional info - I cropped both images so they would be the same apparant size to better compare the image quality.

Attachments

• Lizard500.jpg
    Lizard500.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 265
  • Lizard1000.jpg
    Lizard1000.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
I've been using a 50-500mm for 18 months on a DS. Can't fault it.

The 50-300mm region don't get used much, but unless you can get 500mm prime this lens is great for its price.

Mike

I have been wondering about the same thing.I know the 50-500 has an HSM motor but is not available in Pentax mount with HSM.So is the optical quality that much better to warrant the £200 extra than the 170-500?.I have a K10D.

Graham

Last edited:
Im new tom this forum and i have a pentax k10d and use the sigma 170-500 ok it can struggle a tad in low light but most of the time it gives very good results and its £200 cheaper than the bigma, and dont forget the bigma is a heavy lens wheras the 170-500 is cosiderably lighter so hand held shots are more of an option

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back