• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Monovid (1 Viewer)

CloseFocus

I finally got a chance to look through a Monovid last week, and the verdict is mixed. I didn't do an exhaustive test, but it wasn't needed, because the problems were obvious. The biggest problem is that, at 8X, it is simply too difficult to hold steadily. The optics are superb, at least as far as I could tell between the bounces, but then again, there could have been some glaring flaw that I couldn't see because the image simply could not be held steadily.
Leica erred in simply taking the optics from it's 8X20's to make it's monocular. My experience is that 6X is the maximum usable power for something that does not lend itself to image stability anyway. The design and workmanship are excellent, and the look and feel far surpasses any monocular I have ever seen, but, in my opinion, the product is fatally flawed. Add to that the fact that the case is quite large, which defeats the purpose of having a portable piece of optical equipment. I didn't test the close-up lens - I didn't feel comfortable leaning over a display table to screw on an expensive lens, so I can't imagine doing it in the field. Some people may not have the issues I have with the Monovid, but those were my first impressions. For me, spending a little more for the excellent 8x20 Ultravid's makes more sense. I would be interested to hear if anybody has any different thoughts.

I wouldn't mind one as a freebie !!, but seriously i would prefer to use the 8x20 as its just more relaxing to use both eyes than just one...

Leica should have just come out with a portable microscope type device and skipped the whole monocular function - I would have bought that in a minute!

The biggest problem is that, at 8X, it is simply too difficult to hold steadily.

My experience is that 6X is the maximum usable power for something that does not lend itself to image stability anyway.

I agree with both of these statements, though not directed specifically towards Leica. I am at a loss to understand the popularity of 8x (and above) monoculars generally and specifically here on these forums.

I use a Nikon 5x15 and I like it a lot. Though it doesn't have much horsepower, the optics are great and requires very little focusing. The latter is another problem with higher powered monoculars AND they aren't the easiest things to focus as this usually take two hands to accomplish, with any speed that is.

The other issue with the Monovid that leaves me cold is the separate device for close-up use. There's something else to tote along, potentially lose or damage, and generally have to manage. The Zeiss 6x18 focuses down to a foot and my Nikon 5x15 focuses to 2', with no add on gizmo.

As much as I like Leica products, I have little interest in the Monovid..

Thanks for the mini review, CloseFocus. I have the Leica 8x20 Ultravid binoculars and a Nikon 5x15 monocular - I love using both of them. When I want to travel very light, I usually just take the Nikon monocular. However, since I often lend it to my travelling companions, I thought I might buy another monocular, hence my interest in the Leica Monovid.

I haven't tried out the Monovid yet, but I am a bit unsure about my ability to keep it steady due to the 8x magnification. So it was interesting for me reading your observations.

I have no trouble keeping the Nikon 5x15 steady, and at a mere 7 cm in length, it really is ultra-portable and is quite discrete when worn around the neck. And (I just weighed it), including the neck cord, it's just 78 g on my kitchen scales! According to the specifications sheet, the Leica Monovid is just under 10 cm long and weighs 112 g (presumably without the case).

Perhaps I'll head out to the Leica dealer to try it out myself.

I finally got a chance to look through a Monovid last week, and the verdict is mixed. I didn't do an exhaustive test, but it wasn't needed, because the problems were obvious. The biggest problem is that, at 8X, it is simply too difficult to hold steadily. The optics are superb, at least as far as I could tell between the bounces, but then again, there could have been some glaring flaw that I couldn't see because the image simply could not be held steadily.
Leica erred in simply taking the optics from it's 8X20's to make it's monocular. My experience is that 6X is the maximum usable power for something that does not lend itself to image stability anyway. The design and workmanship are excellent, and the look and feel far surpasses any monocular I have ever seen, but, in my opinion, the product is fatally flawed. Add to that the fact that the case is quite large, which defeats the purpose of having a portable piece of optical equipment. I didn't test the close-up lens - I didn't feel comfortable leaning over a display table to screw on an expensive lens, so I can't imagine doing it in the field. Some people may not have the issues I have with the Monovid, but those were my first impressions. For me, spending a little more for the excellent 8x20 Ultravid's makes more sense. I would be interested to hear if anybody has any different thoughts.

I have A Zeiss 8x20 Monocular and I like it alot. It is way more portable than binoculars and worn around your neck it is inconspicuous. I have no trouble at all holding it steady if you use a two hand technique. Monoculars are quite useful in certain situations and I am sure the Leica will sell quite well as many people like them.

I own this and have been using it daily for my birding, insect watching, plant and other animal observational needs as a professional Naturalist for about a month now. Holding it steady is quite do-able if you grasp it deep in the palm in the webbing of the thumb with one hand and focus it with the other. It is the perfect go anywhere bird anything solution when you have a ton of gear to lug around or many young people to teach a class to, since you can wear it on your belt and it stays out of the way. Optically it is superb and it works great with my glasses (unlike the previous monocular I owned, the Zeiss 8x20). The focus is quick at only a half turn, perhaps too quick, but still easy to use from infinity to just under 6 feet. It wont replace my Swarovski ELs, since it can't compete at low light, but even in less than optimal light it is quite bright and sharp for such a small objective. I can use it on warblers no problem now after some practice. Of course it also works well in the city as a companion for those bits of nature one comes across, as well as at concerts. It is well built and the case is well designed except for the belt loop witch is a little bit on the wimpy side, I suspect it will fail after a year or so of daily use. So far that, and the tight resistance on the focus wheel (still smooth, just tight) are my only complaints. Oh, and I wish it had been supplied with a neck strap in addition to the wrist lanyard it comes with with the price you pay for it! Compared to the Zeiss 8x20, it is brighter, sharper, better FOV, more sturdy and better featured. Not to mention the Zeiss' enormously slow focus (what seems like 20 turns from near to far). Overall, I think this baby should be standard issue for any naturalist. I love it.

Can agree no more.

Had a chance to try out the Monovid along others. Decided to pay for a 10x25BR.

Although tiny enough to be handy all the time, the pros of Monovid seems stops there when against the10x25BR.

I understand they can't be compared side by side, but I was making my mind on one or the other.

For a bit more (not even close to twice the cost!), I chose 10x25BR for better handling.

As for image quality, they are both among the top of their class.

Can agree no more.

Had a chance to try out the Monovid along others. Decided to pay for a 10x25BR.

Although tiny enough to be handy all the time, the pros of Monovid seems stops there when against the10x25BR.

I understand they can't be compared side by side, but I was making my mind on one or the other.

For a bit more (not even close to twice the cost!), I chose 10x25BR for better handling.

As for image quality, they are both among the top of their class.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back