• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whats this a Pencil (1 Viewer)

Playing with pens

I had another play with pen again I think they are an improvment on the last attempt. The Shorty is one of my favourite birds but looking at its plumage I thought where the hell do I start:-C First attempt was awful possibly looking to hard at the feather detail.

Attachments

• scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 121
  • scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 129
  • scan0004 - Copy.jpg
    scan0004 - Copy.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 122
  • scan0005 - Copy.jpg
    scan0005 - Copy.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
These are outstanding Paul! Let's have none of this 'Im no artist and never will be' nonsense! You've tempted me to try the old bic! Seriously these are very, very good. A revelation, in fact. I'm now doubting the authenticity of your introductory comments!

Russ

These are fine pieces of art, and very worthy of the forum! I just found the thread and am glad I did - keep posting!

I had another play with pen again I think they are an improvment on the last attempt. The Shorty is one of my favourite birds but looking at its plumage I thought where the hell do I start:-C First attempt was awful possibly looking to hard at the feather detail.

good bold decisive moment on the SEO last version- just to note them markings and not get bogged down

Bit of practice again

Pen and Pencil practice blady tough this art lark:-O

Attachments

• scan0007 - Copy.jpg
    scan0007 - Copy.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 91
  • scan0012.jpg
    scan0012.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 79
  • scan0006.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 84
Little owls are one of my all time favourites and this is a cracker!

Have you ever considered linocut print making? Based on your drawing style it looks like it might suit you. There you go, free Christmas pressie idea! ;)

Mike

More excellent work!
Being a big wildfowl fan I was immediately drawn to the tufties. Great efforts of very common yet under-represented species. Owls are good, too. I particularly like the little one. You've done s terling job on the facial expression.

Keep it up

Merry xmas

Russ

Santa bought me some water colors, any way I gave then a go for the first time. Its terrible but having never used a brush other than getting rid of food substances off optics I wasn't expecting miracles. It was great fun but a little frustrating

Attachments

• scan0001 (1023 x 723).jpg
    scan0001 (1023 x 723).jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
hey...a lot of beautiful sketches but this one...the feet of the bird..wow

Attachments

• scan0001 (2).jpg
    scan0001 (2).jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 88
MMMMMMM I'm trying to run before I walk. Off to library for basic water color book tomorrow

Attachments

• scan0004 (1045 x 758).jpg
    scan0004 (1045 x 758).jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 113
Possibly my best attempt yet, but I went a bit wild with the forground. Im still suffering with what I think is backward painting, paler colors first as I feel darker colors in the background should be painted first its hard getting my head around it:-C

Attachments

• herron (751 x 511).jpg
    herron (751 x 511).jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Hi Shent,

Like the heron, great perspective regarding the colours/ use of paint bird sits really well in its surroundings.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back