• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adapter for Nikon P330 & Kowa 883 recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Jim M.

Member since 2007
Supporter
United States
I'm looking for something that I can carry in my pocket and pop on for occasional shots. I do not want something that "permanently" attaches to the scope.

The cheap plumbing fixture mentioned in post 7 of this thread seemed the ideal solution, and I bought one:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=223581
But it was recommended for the P300 and I don't seem to be able to get it to fit on the P330 even though the bodies look to be very similar.

The only other option I know of is something like this Kowa DA10 point and shoot adapter kit, but it's quite expensive and looks bulky:
http://www.eagleoptics.com/digital-...t-adapter-kit-for-77-mm-88-mm-spotting-scopes

Any other suggestions or comments on the DA10 kit?

Jim

Last edited:
Have you tried just holding the camera to the eyepiece?

I have tried it with other cameras--I'm looking for something more reliable than that. Also, the end of the lens is so small on the P330 that it couldn't rest on the rubber part of the eyepiece. (I use the standard 20-60x Kowa zoom by the way.)

Jim

Last edited:
The most elegant and practical solution is the DA4/DA10 combo. Reason being is getting the camera secured to the eyepiece, rebalancing and reacquiring the target, locking the head, focusing, etc., generally takes too much time. Best to leave the camera attached full time and just swing it in/out as needed. Then all you need to do is focus and shoot. Weight and bulk of the DA4 is not much different from other solutions.

The most elegant and practical solution is the DA4/DA10 combo. Reason being is getting the camera secured to the eyepiece, rebalancing and reacquiring the target, locking the head, focusing, etc., generally takes too much time. Best to leave the camera attached full time and just swing it in/out as needed. Then all you need to do is focus and shoot. Weight and bulk of the DA4 is not much different from other solutions.

That's a solution to a different problem. If you want to digiscope regularly and don't mind something attached to the scope, that's fine. But that's not my issue. I'd probably just not digiscope at all if that is my only option--I'd just rely on my main birding camera for photos. But thanks anyway.

Jim

I understand what you want to do and why. Seems like a reasonable and easy to deploy solution too until you actually do it. Then you realize there is a lot more to the process like I outlined and eventually you either give up digiscoping out of frustration (bird is usually long gone unless it is asleep or dead!) or leave the camera attached and forego visual use. I have watched this scenario play out innumerable times in the field. Heck it's how I started too!

If digiscoping is not your primary interest, then just holding the camera to the eyepiece is about a good a solution as any. The only thing "better" to come along, especially for Kowa users is the new iPhone adapters. If you don't have an iPhone, then getting an all-weather camera with an internal zoom lens like the Oly TG-1/2 iHS makes holding the camera to the eyepiece easier.

But as you did buy a new Nikon P330, I assume digiscoping is becoming more important? If so, then you kinda have to commit to it if you want better results and a swing-out adapter is really the best solution for someone that still wants to use the scope 50% visually. The next thing you will discover is that you want some kind of sunshade and magnification for the camera's LCD monitor, like a Hoodman loupe, and then the pocket camera no longer fits in a pocket!

Digiscoping is a slippery slope my friend8-P

Last edited:
I'm still looking for a pocketable adapter of the sort I've described, so responses from other posters are welcome. An inespensive DIY or "found" adapter is probably going to suit my needs. I'm still surprised the cheap apparatus here: http://www.buyhardwaresupplies.com/?t=5&itemNumber=44030
worked on the P300 but not the P330. Seems odd that Nikon would change the spec when the bodies look so similar (or maybe I'm not using it correctly?).

Jim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back