• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking at a new scope... (1 Viewer)

chill6x6

Supporter
Hi!

I'm going to purchase a spotting scope. I'm not as up to snuff on them as I am binoculars. Probably the easy choice is to hunker down and buy a ATX and objective and be done with it but...I like a challenge. Looking to spend $2000ish more or less. BTW...I have a STS-80 non-HD that I've had for years with 20-60 eyepiece. It has been a faultless performer. I wouldn't object to a sister ATS HD but it's a little more than I want to spend at this time. BTW...uses will be primarily birding with some astronomy mixed in for good measure... Also, I wear glasses.

I've picked out THREE that seem to be in the price range I want to spend and these three seem to all be well thought of. I'll give you these three and am willing to consider other(s). I'm sure my three won't surprise anyone...

1. Vortex Razor HD 20-60X85, $1600. I've owned several pairs of Vortex binoculars. Their "better" models have shown to be great products and almost always a good bang for the buck. If these are as good as what I have read, they are well worth their asking price. I have always noticed a big difference between Japan and China Vortex binoculars. My understanding this spotting scope is made in China. Is this an issue with this scope? Any quality issues?

2. Meopta Meostar S2 82 HD, $2200 w/ 30-60 or 20-70 eyepiece. Looks to get rave reviews. I have some Meostar binoculars, which are great quality.

3. Kowa TSN-773, $1500 + eyepiece of choice($350ish). Kowa seems to be the choice of my competition shooter friends. They love 'em. This one features an objective slightly smaller than the two scopes above. The price shown is from Eagle Optics and really no one is close that I've seen.

So there you go. That's the ones that impress me the most around that price.

What say you?

I haven't looked through any of the scopes mentioned above, but that's not going to stop me from offering an opinion. |:D|

Since you are already at $2200 for the Meopta, you might want to consider the Kowa TSN-884...currently $1699 at B&H Photo. 25-60x eyepiece gets you up to $2300-$2400. Unfortunately you would lose out on the extra 10x possible with the 30-70 zoom of the Meopta. Like the ATS/STS the Meopta foot is designed to fit directly into the Manfrotto 128 RC tripod, eliminating the need for the horrid QR plate. (according to their promo material). Of course this may not matter to you.

I wouldn't be surprised if options 1 and 3 weren't much more than a lateral move from your current kit.

Not familiar with Kowa's or Meopta's warranty and repair policies. Swaro typically get's the highest grade here on BF. However Vortex's policy appears even better, I've seen on some hunting sites where items damaged by the owner where replaced at no cost.

With your scenario I'd think hard about the 884. The Kowa 88s are the reason I have an ATX95. After quickly moving through 3-4 high end scopes I"d settled on a ATS80HD for more than a decade. Somehow I had the opinion that the Kowa 88s were only the equal of the ATS80HD (probably saw that on the internet somewhere). Then a friend got one...wow. Above 50x it beat my ATS like the proverbial red-headed step child. Did so in low light also. By then the ATXs were out...the sudden Swaro move to a big nasty scope with a big nasty price had really put me off. But after seeing what I'd been missing and having a jones for higher power I caved on melting some plastic for the ATX 95. With some patience I was able to nail down demo units for a total of $3,700 or so. Being able to sell my ATS for more than I paid for it also provided a little psychological boost, that I wasn't completely subservient to my heroin dealer, I mean Swarovski.

If I were presented the same situation today I might opt for the 883 and the 1.6x extender in lieu of the ATX95.

Last edited:
Chuck,

Bill above gave some excellent advice, and I won't counter any of it. If you are not willing to go for the ATX 95, then the Kowa 883/4 with the 25-60x zoom is the best option. And, as soon as you have the expendable, you can get the 1.6x extender for it, which will take you to the planets and wee and far birds even better. The reputation of the Kowa 883/4 has suffered a bit because of Gijs's tests, which show its transmission values being distinctly lower than most other premium scopes. I believe his measurements are essentially correct, but they are only one part of the story and not that significant for the overall performance of the scope. Much more important for what you actually see through one is the superb CA correction of the true fluorite crystal objective lens, the generally very well corrected lens system with very low aberrations, and the resolving power advantage coming from the 88 mm objective diameter, which pushes diffraction limit further than with any birding scope save the 95mm Swaro and a couple of Japanese/Chinese 100mm spotters, which are huge and otherwise not of truly top quality.

Of the three options you mentioned, I have experience with the Meopta and the Kowa 773. Of these, I consider the Meopta significantly better. 5 mm extra aperture is over 6% more performance in the resolution, brightness and contrast departments (for equal magnifications), and from what I have seen, Meopta's production standards for these scopes have been exceedingly high. I'm yet to see a lemon among them, and generally they are very well corrected and sharp. Both eyepieces are excellent, but I prefer the 20-70x for the added top magnification and also the extra low-end that is good for near-flying birds and poor seeing conditions. They both work well with eyeglasses.

The Vortex I haven't seen, but like Bill, doubt that it would be a substantial improvement over your non-HD Swaro.

Kimmo

Last edited:
The Vortex, scrub from the list straight away. Your Swaro beats it easily.

Of your three choices, the Meopta S2 is astounding, simply astounding. You wouldn't regret that purchase in any way shape or form.

Seriously though, think of saving extra for a Kowa 883/4 then save for the 1.6x extender. First time I tried my friends out over the marshes, it made me giggle. Near 100x mag and pin sharp.

Thanks so much for the input! Nothing beats hands on experience and I am appreciative of your comments...

Okay...first order of business...consider the Vortex scrubbed.

One observation along the way....a Zeiss Diascope 85 T* FL....not a lot more than the Kowa.....about $2750 with eyepiece..

The Meostar S2 angled with eyepiece....about $2300.. Cameraland has body, eyepiece, case, Meopix, and tripod(I think a TP-1) for $2500. That's not bad.

The Kowa Prominar 88 angled will be about $2528 with eyepiece. The straight body at B&H is a killer deal...but my Swarovski is straight and I really need angled for different scenarios.

So we have three good/solid spotting scopes with eyepieces from $2300 to $2750 out the door.

Hmmmmmmm..

If you are not getting an angled Kowa 88, get the Meopta S2.

That right there would be my order of choices. It really is an astounding sharp, bright, CA free scope at all magnifications even out to 70x.

One observation along the way....a Zeiss Diascope 85 T* FL....not a lot more than the Kowa.....about $2750 with eyepiece..

The Zeiss 20-75x eyepiece is not very eye-glass friendly.

I think the ergonomics is a factor to consider also.
Zeiss, Meopta, Swaro and Kowa focusers work and feel very differently.

Last edited:
Through this weekend the Kowa 883 (angled) is right around $1800 at Optics Planet if you use their 10% off coupon.

Best,
Jerry

Last edited:
Thanks Jerry! I've been eyeballing that!

Now decide Kowa OR Meopta?? B :)

Never had the chance to use the Meopta so no good to you in that department. I do enjoy the Kowa 883 and for an additional $400 you can take the zoom to 96x with the new extender. So far I've really liked the added reach but I do very long range observation. (Think whale watch) Haven't had a chance to use the extender for more common birding tasks.

Best,
Jerry

Chuck,

Get the Kowa if it is not significantly more expensive. It is better than the Meopta. The Meopta is the best option for those who think the Kowa is too expensive but the Meopta is not. 88mm versus 82mm matters.

One additional thing. The 883 needs a S.O.C. (stay-on-cover) as it is not rubber armored. The Meostar is rubber armored except for the sunshade, and can better be used without.

Kimmo

Just noticed that Adorama has the 881/883 stay on case for $100 shipped. However, now that I've seen your binocular holdings, the Kowa scope might get lonely among all those Austrians. :>)

Best,
Jerry

Just noticed that Adorama has the 881/883 stay on case for $100 shipped. However, now that I've seen your binocular holdings, the Kowa scope might get lonely among all those Austrians. :>)

Best,
Jerry

Haha! I don't think it will. Yesterday birding about a day and used the Ultravid HD + and the new SV 12X50. Great combo!

Ok....
So the Kowa 883 and TE-11 WZ 25-60 eyepiece are on the way! Saved about $200 at Optics Planet. Couldn't have come at a better time...I guess! 😀 Thanks for everyone's help and input!!

Let us know what you think after using the Kowa for a few days. Ive got my eyes on that same combo.

So yesterday I used the new Kowa TSN-883 yesterday for the first time out in the field. The view thru it is excellent. Also, it seems to be VERY well made. I'll set it up next to the STS-80 in the future and see how it compares.

I bought a new tripod as well, a Vanguard ABEO 243 AV. Though a pretty good tripod/head combo, I was less thrilled with it. I guess it would be termed a "good tripod for the money."

Overall, so far thrilled with the 883! Thanks to those that helped point me in the right direction!

image_1.jpeg

Beautiful view is well worth the outlay.

I found that when using an arctic mitt the dual focus was easily used with the side of the thumb as even sub minus 20 temps didn't make the focus freeze up.

A true classic. My loaner had to go back but this is now the only scope I'll purchase when I've the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back