• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

photo quality printers (1 Viewer)

midas

has anyone got any recommendations? I wish to buy one but want recommendations from you all, and i dont want to spend 1.0000.000!!!

I have a HP Deskjet 5550. Paid about £55 new on an offer at dabs.com. Use it to print 4Mp images at A4 size. Very happy but consumables expensive.

Ivan

midas said:
has anyone got any recommendations? I wish to buy one but want recommendations from you all, and i dont want to spend 1.0000.000!!!

So far nothing on the market has, to my mind, beaten the outstanding sharpness and colour quality of the Epson Photo 890 - but you can't get it now! Even Epson engineers think it's the best.

I'd go for an Epson or a Canon in the £150 - £250 bracket - you won't be disappointed. If that's too much the Can i850 is excellent for the price. The Canons are all much quicker at printing, but I think the overall look and feel of the Epson is still unsurpassed. Either make will bring a thrill when you see one of your prints coming out of it.

My experience is also that Epsons prints well on a wide range of papers, but I have read that a Canon is only at its best with Canon premium papers.

Most tests and reviews suggest you should avoid Lexmark for photo printing - but consider the latest HP photo-printers if you want to use the printer for ordinary text printing, too.

Last edited:
I have an Epson but find that you need to do frequent nozzle cleans which uses up ink to keep it at its best. However quality is very good when it is behaving itself.

Geoff Brown said:
I have an Epson but find that you need to do frequent nozzle cleans which uses up ink to keep it at its best. However quality is very good when it is behaving itself.

I think all printers suffer this way. I keep a small colour photo of my son in my document files so I see it every time I launch MS Word and it reminds me to run it as a test print daily. It certainly keeps the ink-jet nozzles from drying up - I haven't had a problem since I did this. Can recommend it 100% - it uses precious little ink, too.

Hi Midas,
Which ever one you choose I would suggest you stick to using only 'name' cartridges, e.g. Epson, HP etc, not second line made in who-knows-where?
My job takes me away from home for weeks at a time and I wrote off a perfectly good Epson C80 because the second line black cartridge oozed and wrecked the heads! Now I have an Epson C82 with genuine cartridges.
Epson software is generally very friendly, never had any problem with the drivers, and the print quality is very good.
All ink is expensive! You need only spend a few extra pounds to get a new printer with cartridges rather than pay out for a replacement set! Talk about a rip-off! Power to the people! Go out and buy the best you can afford, but limit what you buy to what you need - do you need the memory-stick interface? and so on.
Oh yes! Don't believe the balloney they give you with 100pps (One Hundred Pages Per Second). It just ain't true! The speed tests are done to give the punter the run-around. I have NEVER got the full spec out of all of my Epsons, and I don't know anyone who has got the same out of any make.

Good advice from Mike D . Reminds me of the time I tried to refill my old cartridges, I had more ink on my hands and desk than was in the cartridges.
I stick to buying the overpriced hp inkjet cartridges now

Tom

I have had good results with my Epson 760, a little slow but I always change the settings to full quality, least speed. I go away on holiday for two weeks at a time, so the printer is not in use and I have the problem of unclogging the nozzles when I next come to use it ( using Epson cartridges).My daughter has the same PC but with the Lexmark printer, quality is very good but the refill cartridges are prohibitive.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back