• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod/head combo (1 Viewer)

Irvo52

Scotland
I have the chance to acquire a set of manfrotto 755 CX3 legs and a Giottos MH1300--621 ball head. Will these be suitable for a standard spotting scope (Kowa 612) and long lens photography in a variety of birding locations?

I don't have experience of these legs, but if they're anything like my 055 carbon legs, they will be fine. I have this Giottos ball head and it's fine for a smallish long lens like a Canon 100-400L IS, but wouldn't be everyone's top choice for scope use. I use a ball head regularly with a 50mm scope, and it works well, but with a larger 80mm scope I would recommend a fluid head like a Manfrotto 128. If you have the funds to buy a spare centre column to fit with a separate scope head, that would be my best solution to fit both needs.

As an option and one I am seriously thinking about is the Gitzmo Safari Traveler series...See B and H...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Gitzmo+Safari+Traveler&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

I saw it at B and H and recently was at Cape May and someone had a 88 Kowa attached. It works. The legs are easy to travel with and yet sturdy for a large scope. The head has one knob for horizontal and vertical play of scope. I found this perfect. Right now with my Manfrotto 701 Fluid head I have two knobs for vertical and horizontal.

My thinking is the least knobs I have to worry about, the better it is when digiscoping for we all know how many other things we have to worry about. I am going to get the Gitzmo once I get a bit of cash....jim

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back