• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do I attach a Nikon D7000 to a Velbon 635? (1 Viewer)

kristoffer

Used Register
Hi, I got a Velbon carbon tripod, CF635, and I wonder how to attach it to my camera, a Nikon D7000. I got a Manfrotto 128RC tripod head for my scope but the quick plate on the head does not fit my camera. Do I need a new tripod head?

Don't quite understand this. You have a Manfrotto 128 RC head which uses "210 QR" plates with the standard 1/4 inch thread to attach to the camera/scope etc. Almost all current cameras/scopes use the 1/4inch thread. I use the QR plates that attach to this head and they fit all my Canon (7 + G9) cameras and even my old Leica IIIg. The QR plate will certainly fit any current Canon camera - check it again, or better still buy another one so you don't have to swop. They cost peanuts on Flea Bay.

Is the problem the locating pin on the plate ahead of the 1/4 inch screw? - This is easily removed for still camera use, however, if you have two plates you can use one for still use without the pin and one with if required?

Is the problem the locating pin on the plate ahead of the 1/4 inch screw? - This is easily removed for still camera use, however, if you have two plates you can use one for still use without the pin and one with if required?

Thx guys! Yeah the problem is the pin on the QR plate. So now I can attach the camera. But I have realised that most photographers use ball heads or gimbal and not video heads.

Generally you are going to want to buy Arca Swiss style plates rather than proprietary plates from some tripod makers. The Arca Swiss are generic across the industry.

Now what this means is the quick release clamp on your tripod head and your camera plate must be compatible. I have been using Really Right Stuff quick releases and plates for years. They are pricey but first quality.

Ideally you would get a camera specific plate. The camera specific plates are contoured to your camera. Unlike a generic flat plate, the contoured plated will not rotate or slip. It is worth the money to me - but you may think differently.

I'm afraid the Manfrotto head you have has proprietary plates. That means you should simply buy a flat plate for your camera that will fit the quick release. But you may find this approach limiting in the long run if you are progressing down the photography path.

Last edited:
Thanks Eric! I will not use my manfrotto head. I'm looking into ball heads and found a few interesting. Cullmans Magnesist series seems to be good value. Can I fit a custom made plate made for the D7000 on A Cullman head?

Well the search for a good ballhead can be a slippery slope - and not cheap. Here is a great article - although a little dated.

http://bythom.com/support.htm

I use a Really Right Stuff BH-55 ballhead. It is quite robust and represents quality in all respects. But it is a little heavy and not cheap. My wife uses a Really Right Stuff BH-40 - a lighter and slightly less expensive model that easily handles her D7000 and mid weight lenses like the Nikon 70-200 or Tamron 200-500. We both use L-brackets with our camera bodies and Lever Releases on our ballheads. L-brackets and lever clamps provide easier changes between landscape and portrait orientation.

Markins has nice ballheads. In Europe they are distributed through the Nikonians Pro Shop. The Q20 is their top of the line and the Q10 is similar to the BH-40.

Arca Swiss makes a Z1 that has had good reports. They are a leader in the field.

I've heard some good reports about Benron and Cullman. They make a variety of heads so it depends on the specific model. Which model are you considering of the Cullman? And what is the largest lens you have or plan to own?

Last edited:
Well the search for a good ballhead can be a slippery slope - and not cheap. Here is a great article - although a little dated.

http://bythom.com/support.htm

I use a Really Right Stuff BH-55 ballhead. It is quite robust and represents quality in all respects. But it is a little heavy and not cheap. My wife uses a Really Right Stuff BH-40 - a lighter and slightly less expensive model that easily handles her D7000 and mid weight lenses like the Nikon 70-200 or Tamron 200-500. We both use L-brackets with our camera bodies and Lever Releases on our ballheads. L-brackets and lever clamps provide easier changes between landscape and portrait orientation.

Markins has nice ballheads. In Europe they are distributed through the Nikonians Pro Shop. The Q20 is their top of the line and the Q10 is similar to the BH-40.

Arca Swiss makes a Z1 that has had good reports. They are a leader in the field.

I've heard some good reports about Benron and Cullman. They make a variety of heads so it depends on the specific model. Which model are you considering of the Cullman? And what is the largest lens you have or plan to own?

Markins and RRS seems like really nice stuff, but they are really pricey compared to Cullman and I don´t think I need that good gear yet :)

I´m considering the Cullmann Magnesit MB4.3. The largest lenses I will use is Nikon 70-300 4-5.6 ED and Nikon 10-24.

I´m considering the Cullmann Magnesit MB4.3. The largest lenses I will use is Nikon 70-300 4-5.6 ED and Nikon 10-24.

The MB4.3 looks like a nice head. Design is similar to Markins and Arca Swiss. The Quick Release is a really nice option.

The MB4.3 has a rated capacity of 14 kg / 30 pounds. While that should be plenty, you might consider the MB6.5. Your 70-300 lens is the issue. There is no lens foot on the lens, which makes it particularly front heavy. Because the weight of the lens and hood is so far in front of the camera and ballhead, there is a lot of demand put on the locking mechanism. If the incremental cost is modest, you probably should think about the MB6.5 as it would clearly exceed any reasonable needs. The 6.5 weighs 100 grams more - not bad for some long term piece of mind. The 6.5 would handle a future long lens like the Sigma 150-500 or Nikon 300 and a teleconverter.

If you read the article by Thom Hogan, you probably saw the problem with selecting a tripod head with a little less capacity than you need. It seems to be okay at first, but over time becomes more of a problem and you end up upgrading later.

If it were me, I would go with the MB6.5 over the MB4.3. The MB6.3 looks good as well and might be an option depending on availability. The difference is the Quick Release - which appears to be Arca Swiss compatible.

Last edited:
The MB4.3 looks like a nice head. Design is similar to Markins and Arca Swiss. The Quick Release is a really nice option.

The MB4.3 has a rated capacity of 14 kg / 30 pounds. While that should be plenty, you might consider the MB6.5. Your 70-300 lens is the issue. There is no lens foot on the lens, which makes it particularly front heavy. Because the weight of the lens and hood is so far in front of the camera and ballhead, there is a lot of demand put on the locking mechanism. If the incremental cost is modest, you probably should think about the MB6.5 as it would clearly exceed any reasonable needs. The 6.5 weighs 100 grams more - not bad for some long term piece of mind. The 6.5 would handle a future long lens like the Sigma 150-500 or Nikon 300 and a teleconverter.

If you read the article by Thom Hogan, you probably saw the problem with selecting a tripod head with a little less capacity than you need. It seems to be okay at first, but over time becomes more of a problem and you end up upgrading later.

If it were me, I would go with the MB6.5 over the MB4.3. The MB6.3 looks good as well and might be an option depending on availability. The difference is the Quick Release - which appears to be Arca Swiss compatible.
Thx for your help! Yeah I agree now that you mention it. The MB6.5 head is much more future proof, especially if a 300 f4 lens shows up suddenly. So I opt for that instead. Should I buy a separate QR plate for it?

Thx for your help! Yeah I agree now that you mention it. The MB6.5 head is much more future proof, especially if a 300 f4 lens shows up suddenly. So I opt for that instead. Should I buy a separate QR plate for it?

You'll need to confirm what is included with the head. The ones I saw had a compatible Arca Swiss Lever Release - and from my perspective looked good.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back