• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello again from Sussex (1 Viewer)

RKO Terix

Hello again. I managed to register a few days before the site wiped out, so I just had time to find my way around, post a few pictures and generally enjoy the friendly atmosphere. Glad it's back.

Looking on the bright side, I now have an extra 10 days to get that killer picture for the February competition... (in my dreams)

Paul

Hello Jax, thanks for the welcome,

Well, I'm pretty new to this sort of thing so I don't know all the best places - and I'm not very good at standing on mudflats for hours at a time - but I live just a few miles away from Pulborough Brooks so I go there quite a lot. Devil's Dyke near Brighton is a good place for heathland birds such as stonechats and yellowhammers. Also when I was last there in summer it was notable for the huge number of cinnabar moth caterpillars feeding on the ragwort. Not directly relevant to birds, I think, since I understand the moths are highly poisonous to birds courtesy of the ragwort, but an interesting sight nonetheless. Ashdown Forest is wonderful as well and great for a walk even if the birds are thin on the ground (or should that be thin in the sky?).

If you're a starling fan, and I think there is someone out there who's pretty keen, the Palace Pier at Brighton is an amazing sight at dusk as they settle down on their roosts in and around the pier.

I'm happy for now in the knowledge that I've hardly scraped the surface in this part of the world. How about you? Any must-visit places?

Paul

Brian,

Thanks for the welcome and the information. I'd love to come along and see some BF people (plus birds) at Pulborough Brooks whenever you're able to organise it.

Paul

RKO Terix said:
I'm happy for now in the knowledge that I've hardly scraped the surface in this part of the world. How about you? Any must-visit places?

Paul

Hello Paul. I have been finding my way around this area for 3 years now. I often go to the Brooks, because of its location and occasionally stray to Pagham Harbour, if I have time, always enjoy seeing the birds there. I recently saw Reed Buntings and various wildfowl at Southwater Park, after an attempt to see Waxwings. |:||
I also enjoy nipping up to Barnes, London, especially if I have family in tow. I saw a Bittern a few years ago and their first wild Bewick last October |=)|

Have you joined any local RSPB groups? Shoreham or Chichester?

Thanks for the great ideas Jax, I must admit I'd not conisdered Barnes although we do go to Arundel WWT from time to time (it'll be interesting to see the new wetland area there, by the way, lots of earthmoving was taking place last time I was there). I'll definitely put Barnes at the top of my visit list together with Pagham, and (along with George V) I do prefer London to Bognor!

From what you say, it sounds like we weren't the only people driving round and round a completely waxwing-free Southwater recently. We also ended up in Southwater Park, perhaps the same day you were there, although if so then I should kick myself for not seeing the reed buntings. I was happy enough taking photos of swans and suchlike; I must remember to put them back in my gallery.

Joining an RSPB local group might be a good idea; do you have an inside track on what goes on at them?

Paul

I try to get to as many Chichester meetings, indoor that is, as possible. They are often slide shows of where people have visited and held during the winter months only. The last talk was a fascinating talk about "Feathers & Flight", managed to stay awake when they dimmed the lights! I try to go on walks with them, but the timing is never great for me. Thoroughly enjoyed the last walk with them at Pulborough Brooks which was ages ago now. I have a friend who attends Shoreham and I gather that it is a simialar set up.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back