• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bali - Feb. 2015 (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone,

I'm planning a family trip to Bali next February. Can anyone recommend a family style nature place to stay? I'm a birder and my family (two children ages 6 and 9) are nature lovers who would love an outdoor nature experience. Somewhere to stay that has birding on the grounds or a short distance away. Wildlife center nearby, etc...?

Thanks,
Tom

the Menjangan is in the National Park, you can walk or cycle all over, great birding including Bali Starling, Banded Pitta right at Monsoon lodge, and the National Park Guide Hery Kusumanegara well worth booking for other locations.
http://www.themenjangan.com/
Also consider Sarinbuana Eco Lodge on the way there or back. Different experience, great birding. http://www.baliecolodge.com/

I stayed at both in 2013, personally recommended

Mark

Andy, that's a great link and just what I was looking for; though I was surprised to see that there aren't any birding sites noted for the whole of the eastern side of Bali.

I am scheduled to be in Bali for a week in early Feb. Hopefully Ulu Watu has some seabirds still hanging around in Feb?

BTW the link from Andy seems to be hacked and not accessible, fortunately I previously downloaded or took screen shots of the info on the site that I wanted...I'm not quite sure what the point of bringing down a bird finding guide is?

I guess there are limited species numbers for visiting birders and they can all be seen in the west and quite close to the airport. I bet there are some nice birding sites in the east though...

The following was recently published on the OBC web forum, by the way:

" Bali

This not being a pure birding trip, I basically

- birded Bedugul Botanical Gardens two mornings

- checked all rice paddies encountered for Java Sparrow and (my all-time Asian bogey-bird) Streaked Weaver, dipping on both :) (but having great views of another lifer, White-headed Munia), and

- spent one prolonged morning at Bali Barat National Park

Best birds seen included

JAVAN BANDED PITTA

I was surprised to hear 4 males singing and two (additional ones?) calling at Bedugul Botanical Gardens. Even though I did not have the right recordings on me, imitating their song was enough to get very good views of two males. The birds were heard in the area found when taking the first road left after entering the gardens, then take the first concrete footpath right, take left at its T end and then take the first right, with steps down entering a gully.

SUNDA THRUSH

On my second morning of trying, one was seen well alongside a gully found after a stretch of c 80m lawn, after coming out of the gully described above. It also perched 6m up a tree. This gully also held two noisy FULVOUS-CHESTED JUNGLE FLYCATCHERs

DARK-BACKED IMPERIAL PIGEON

Two heard only at Bedugul Botanical Gardens.

GREAT-BILLED HERON

Great views of 1 on an exposed reef, while boating out to Bali Barat at 6.30 am.

LESSER ADJUTANT

Great views of 5 on the same exposed reef, while boating out to Bali Barat at 6.30 am.

BALI MYNA

Five ringed individuals were seen (and heard) displaying at Bali Barat's temple.

BLACK-WINGED STARLING

Only one, flying past the Bali Myna area. Here, a female Green Junglefowl was also seen; White-shouldered Triller was common and two Wild Pigs and a Barking Deer also put in an appearance.

RACKET-TAILED TREEPIE

As I did not know they occur (also) at Bali (& Java), but are absent from Sumatra, this surprise sighting of 1 in coastal scrub on the outskirts of Gilimanjuk was one of my highlights.

SAVANNA NIGHTJAR

7 roosting underneath mangrove scrub on the outskirts of Gilimanjuk; 1 calling and hunting low over Kuta beach one night.

CERULEAN KINGFISHER

Great views of a fine, perched male, in the mangroves from where the boat to Bali Barat departed.

JAVAN KINGFISHER

Only 1, in paddies just south of Bedugul.

Best regards,
Remco Hofland

Maybe that's it. There won't be many potentially new species for me, but hopefully I'll manage some decent birding.
It also seems that they are getting the relatively newly acquired rabies problem under control, so hopefully stray dogs won't be bothersome.
I'm there for nearly a week so that should be plenty of time to visit the main places

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back