• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor migration in Mexico...where are the birders? (1 Viewer)

aplomado2u

Each year that I live here in Mexico and experience a spring or fall raptor migration I ask myself.....why am I essentially alone in observing what must be among the greatest raptor migrations to be seen on the planet?
There are supposedly millions of dedicated birders in the US and Canada, they travel all over the US to see a rare bird, but the line seemes to stop at the Texas /Mexico border.
Mexico..........fraught with danger, you´ll surely get diarreah if you drink the water, you´ll be robbed.....who knows? Stereotypes at their worst..........
Americans (many) seem to be OK with Mexicans as long as the relationship doesn´t extend beyond them mowing their lawns, pruning their trees, washing their dishes in their favorite restaurant or a myriad of underpaid tasks..............
Just a note to anyone who might read this........birders, let´s give Mexico a chance.......Mexico is a developing country (as once was the United States) her people are for the most part hospitable, warm and caring, the country provides great birding opportunities, and an opportunity to see life as it is.
I issue a challenge to birders in the US.....visit Mexico to bird.
If you are a bigoted, elitist, "let me fill my list with endemic specialties at any cost" birder please stay at home....we don´t need it.
I have had my fill of "fat cat"/"its all about me and my comfort" birders.
Having spent the last 7 years as a birding guide here in Veracruz, I have seen and heard it all.

I can tell you that birding here is wonderful, the food is great and the opportunity exists to share your birding passion with people who are less fortunate.
OK, enough already,........ I love Mexico and I love my country, USA- I know that good "regular people" birders would have the time of their life down here birding....you are all invited.

Todays observations:
Oct. 2, 2005
Tlacotalpan Ver.
9:30-11:30
Day started out somewhat overcast turning into rains for most of the day, I was able to observe 197 Broad-winged hawks zipping through in front of the dark storm clouds.
Broad-winged hawks..........197
TV.............................................3
Osprey.....................................2
Peregrine falcon......................2
American kestrel....................2

Total......................................206

David, I've been awed by your photos of this spectacle. That flock of Broad-winged Hawks you posted the other day took my breath away. It's certainly something I'd like to experience some day - preferably sooner rather than later.

A work colleague recently had her honeymoon in Mexico and thought it a great place.

Thanks Jason
I am having the time of my life with this years migration and happy to share with all via my weblog
There is something absolutely "liberating" to witness raptors in migration!
Good birding,

Resplendent Quetzal

aplomado2u said:
Each year that I live here in Mexico and experience a spring or fall raptor migration I ask myself.....why am I essentially alone in observing what must be among the greatest raptor migrations to be seen on the planet?
There are supposedly millions of dedicated birders in the US and Canada, they travel all over the US to see a rare bird, but the line seemes to stop at the Texas /Mexico border.
Mexico..........fraught with danger, you´ll surely get diarreah if you drink the water, you´ll be robbed.....who knows? Stereotypes at their worst..........
Americans (many) seem to be OK with Mexicans as long as the relationship doesn´t extend beyond them mowing their lawns, pruning their trees, washing their dishes in their favorite restaurant or a myriad of underpaid tasks..............
Just a note to anyone who might read this........birders, let´s give Mexico a chance.......Mexico is a developing country (as once was the United States) her people are for the most part hospitable, warm and caring, the country provides great birding opportunities, and an opportunity to see life as it is.
I issue a challenge to birders in the US.....visit Mexico to bird.
If you are a bigoted, elitist, "let me fill my list with endemic specialties at any cost" birder please stay at home....we don´t need it.
I have had my fill of "fat cat"/"its all about me and my comfort" birders.
Having spent the last 7 years as a birding guide here in Veracruz, I have seen and heard it all.

I can tell you that birding here is wonderful, the food is great and the opportunity exists to share your birding passion with people who are less fortunate.
OK, enough already,........ I love Mexico and I love my country, USA- I know that good "regular people" birders would have the time of their life down here birding....you are all invited.

Todays observations:
Oct. 2, 2005
Tlacotalpan Ver.
9:30-11:30
Day started out somewhat overcast turning into rains for most of the day, I was able to observe 197 Broad-winged hawks zipping through in front of the dark storm clouds.
Broad-winged hawks..........197
TV.............................................3
Osprey.....................................2
Peregrine falcon......................2
American kestrel....................2

Total......................................206

Hello David

I am coming to Mexico birding in mid September. I am predominantly visiting the Yucutan pensinsula but I am interested in any sites where I could see a resplendent quetzal and of course the northern migration.

I am coming from Australia via USA and have about two weeks to spend birding in southern Mexico.

Hope you can assist.

Regards

Grahame

Flattery will get you nowhere ;)

I go to Mexico regularly to go scuba diving, and due to the hurricame last year needed to switch plans for my November trip to Playa del Carmen.
We went to Huatulco in Oaxaca, a much less 'touristy' area in southern Mexico on the Pacific. The diving wasn't as good as the Carribean side, but the area, and especially the people were just unbelievable. We had a great trip, and I would go back there in a heartbeat.
Mexico offers a great variety in experiences, and some of the less popular and more out of the way places are worth looking into.

Last edited:
I have always wanted to visit Veracruz for the fall migration!!!

David, do you have a spare bedroom or a shed out back I could spend a week???

;)

Grahame

I spent 5 weeks in Yucutan/\belize in 2003 at almost the same time of year as you will be going

had a great time and i have a report on the net 'Birding and Duding in Belize and Yucutan' or something like that! It may be useful. Just google it.

PM me if you have any specific enquiries. I'll do all i can to help.

Probably it wasn't for hunters on Malta, Cyprus, Nile Delta and Italy, etc we might have similar spectacles in Europe although I hear that the Skaggarak, (Sweden/Denmark) Gibralter, and the Bosphorus (Turkey) still hold some reaonable raptor flyways during migration

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back