• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rufous Hummingbirds (1 Viewer)

Dave K

Question:

I have three feeders at my home, in heavily forested Western Washington state. For perhaps three days I will have up to 16 Rufous hummingbirds at my feeders, then there will be two to three days of 1-2 birds all day. Would this be different flights of migrating birds, or do they range off for days at a time? This is the first year I've placed out feeders.

Thanks much,

Dave K

Attachments

• malerufous.jpg
    malerufous.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 70
Would this be different flights of migrating birds,""
Hi,
That's my best guess. When my regular hummingbirds (Anna's and Rufous) are here they come every day, the same few with maybe an extra visitor or so. When they are nesting they are not in the yard much but do come for regular visits to feed and bathe in the fountain.

A bit later on, in July, I get those waves of visitors that seem to be part of a migration. Their behaviour is a bit different, more zippy and skittish than the ones who are used to seeing me in the yard.

They remember where feeders are and will come back next year. The Anna's stay all year and feed thru Winter and you may be lucky and have one keep you busy keeping a feeder clean and not frozen in that season too!

You're both right... I think. I get so few Rufous here on the Green in South King, that when I do see one, it's a special treat.

A couple years ago a Rufous stopped off here for about a week during migration (can't remember if it was Spring or Fall). He commandeered one of my feeders for that time and was relentless, running off all the "locals" from his feeder. I'm not real good at IDing hummers, but he was unmistakeable. A handsome guy.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back