• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (5 Viewers)

Goldfinches enjoying the sunflower hearts as usual but i have puzzled over how much they have been getting through in just a few days. Today I spotted a Grey Squirrel tucking in....new feeder required.:t::t:

Blackbirds, goldfinches, sparrows, dunnocks and a thrush (I think songthrush). The blackbirds, dunnocks and sparrows are really lively - it's a beautiful sunny day with a cloudless sky so far. I have to cause a fair bit of disruption today as I'm getting on with lopping the monstrous leylandii (they'll be replaced with a pyracantha, holly, ivy, honeysuckle and rose hedge).

Our resident Greenfinches seem to be getting more active by the day, two of the juveniles from last yr are still around, not sure mum and dad will stand for that much longer. Also the dunnocks are having their usual love in, and the blackbirds are paired up. Spring has truely sprung :t:

Not much time in our yards the past couple of days cos we were away at the coast. Still have a Chipping Sparrow, though, and White-winged Doves are building a nest in our mulberry. (How do doves survive, given that they build the most flimsy nests possible?)

Lots of nice birds on our trip, including lots of Roseate Spoonbills in breeding plumage.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Attachments

• DSC02825.jpg
    DSC02825.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC02930.jpg
    DSC02930.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 35
Just checking up on the thread after a couple of days of excessive drinking:t:

Hi everyone, thought I would join this thread as Im going to get a feeder set up in my back garden. Due to a house move we now have a garden instead of a concrete box. Also work makes it difficult to get out much, so thought this is the next best thing to seeing whats around here.

Welcome to the thread Colin. Hope you get some good visitors.

My sunflower hearts are gone in 2 days tops, and the nyjer last a maximum of 5 !

Main culprits are my gang of siskins.

Same here over the last week or so. Although much quieter today.

Hows this for a garden flyover ? A cormorant... and we are 50 miles inland ?

Very nice garden tick:t:

GARDEN BIRD NUMBER 30 WREN
thought i saw this yesterday in the distance,however confirmed today :t:

Likewise:t: How long have you been counting, Roger - you soon got up to 30.

Sparrowhawk came back to the garden today, and this time she went hunting ! Landed in the tree above the feeders, and after a couple of minutes swooped down into the briar at the side of the garden. House sparrows came out in droves, with the hawk scrambling through after them.

No joy at the end for her, but it was very exciting to watch, think she's gonna be a regular. We were watching the whole episode from the window, as close as 15 feet away at one point, beautiful bird.

Likewise How long have you been counting, Roger - you soon got up to 30

since the beginning of the year bongo,"EXCESSIVE DRINKING"-it's nice that YORKSHIRE TEA aint it!:-O

Sparrowhawk came back to the garden today, and this time she went hunting ! Landed in the tree above the feeders, and after a couple of minutes swooped down into the briar at the side of the garden. House sparrows came out in droves, with the hawk scrambling through after them.

No joy at the end for her, but it was very exciting to watch, think she's gonna be a regular. We were watching the whole episode from the window, as close as 15 feet away at one point, beautiful bird.

great when it comes into the garden,everything else takes a back seat,brilliant to watch,like you say a beautiful bird,one of my favourites.:t:

Its an amazing thought but 30 years ago i used to drive a 200 mile round-trip for a days bird watching in the New Forest and not see a single bird of prey yet now they are in our gardens every week .:eek!:

My Chickadees are getting used to me. I can stand there with the feeder very still and they come by as usual. I tried taking pictures but the Nikon couldn't focus. I'll try again when the new camera arrives.

Likewise How long have you been counting, Roger - you soon got up to 30

since the beginning of the year bongo,"EXCESSIVE DRINKING"-it's nice that YORKSHIRE TEA aint it!:-O

Thats a really good effort getting 30 so quickly, well done.

I hate to admit it to a Yorkshireman, but I was on the opposite side of the hills to youo:D

The internet still amazes me.................:t::t::t::t:.

Nice birds in my Cheshire garden today.:-O:-O

Me too Andrew! However the rain forest management stopped me logging on. Birds in the garden this week have been: Dark cheeked Tailorbird, Red rumped Trogan and Red & Black Broadbill. Just waiting for the long flight home now.

Not a lot new happening in our yards. College was quiet today, too, except for 300-400 Cedar Waxwings.

Saw a lot of breeding/nesting/mating behavior on the coast at the end of the week. Yesterday our Downy Woodpeckers were also celebrating spring!

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Attachments

• wpmate.JPG
    wpmate.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 43
Yesterday there was a little bit of activity around the place. Had a striated pardalote preening quietly in a tree, after he'd finished, he hopped around a little, calling to the other pardalotes in the neighbours yard before taking off after them. There were new holland honeyeaters feeding on the nectar plants, and hawking insects from the lawn along with the willie wagtail. And also a blackbird hopping about. House sparrows seem to be making a gradual come back too it would seem. I'm hoping i'll see the yellow-rumped thornbills soon, but I'm not sure they'll be back this year, too much good feed around I reckon.

Great capture of those woodpeckers. Good to see some spring activity ;)

The multitude or horde of House sparrows we had for the winter are gone from the feeder. There are only a few now. During the winter we had around 30-40 at the feeder all the time.

With most of them gone the chickadee and titmouse are more frequent. The cardinals are as frequent as ever, male and female.

Mourning doves are much more frequently on the ground below the feeder.

I've changed the feeder mix. It was mostly sunflower seeds in winter but there were such a huge piles of shells on the ground and my rhododendrons look a bit stressed with information about toxins in the oil. I shoveled them out, two carts full of shells, and have changed over to a different mix with far fewer sunflower seeds. The Squirrels and juncos seem to like it fine. So do the Doves and the chipmunks.

Users who are viewing this thread

• KenM
Back