• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Hummer ID (1 Viewer)

aveschapines

Encantada de las avecitas que veo a diario.
Hummers are SO hard to identify!

New at my feeder today (hope s/he stays around, unlike the Rufous Sabrewings that visited for a few weeks and then were gone). Medium size - a bit bigger than a White-Eared, not as big as a Magnificent. Green on top, blue underneath; noticeable blue auricular patches (which I did NOT see as violet); brilliant cobalt belly; darker blue undertail; long, all-black bill; light vent and untacs; rounded tail, not especially wide. Not a Broad-Tailed nor a Doubleday due to black bill and tail definitely NOT notched. My only guess at this point is Green Violet-Ear, but the tail is rounded and not square, and I didn't see any violet on the bird (and I got several sustained looks within a meter in bright sunlight).

Today, on my patio in an urban area adjacent to rural area with small farms, undeveloped woods and mountainsides. Quetzaltenango, Guatemala, 8500 ft/ 2300 mts.

Thanks! I got three pretty good pics, one shows the undertail in detail.

Attachments

• New Guy.jpg
    New Guy.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 57
  • New Guy 2.jpg
    New Guy 2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 72
  • New guy tail.jpg
    New guy tail.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 47
Thank you! I got confirmation from a friend, too, and seeing the bird again in brighter sunlight I was able to id the key field marks (band on tail,"ears" look purplish in the right light). Appreciate the help!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back