• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

B I F with 7D (1 Viewer)

Michael Daniel Ho

The Wildlife Ho-tographer
I have been using the 7D with grip for about 2 months and am impressed with the quality and functionality of the camera. When I photograph birds, I prefer to shoot handheld and catch them in flight. The 7D does quite well in the AF department and the 8fps is also a nice feature. In my opinion, the 7D is Canon's best value in digital DSLR. It has the best combination of price and performance. All shots were taken in JPEG-L with the Canon 400mm f/4 DO lens and 1.4 extender. Visit my website to see more photos taken with this camera.

Attachments

• kingfisher7.jpg
    kingfisher7.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 323
  • shovler7.jpg
    shovler7.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 309
  • osprey6.jpg
    osprey6.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 209
  • bluebird6.jpg
    bluebird6.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 303
  • bpelican3.jpg
    bpelican3.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Some from me with the 7D and 100-400. The first four are not consecutive shots but they are all from the same burst and basically shot within a single second (OK, 1.12 seconds).

Attachments

• 20100131_113818_3408_LR.jpg
    20100131_113818_3408_LR.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 181
  • 20100131_113819_3413_LR.jpg
    20100131_113819_3413_LR.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 213
  • 20100131_113819_3415_LR.jpg
    20100131_113819_3415_LR.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 163
  • 20100131_113819_3416_LR.jpg
    20100131_113819_3416_LR.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 200
  • 20100131_110718_3070_LR.jpg
    20100131_110718_3070_LR.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 199
7d Bif

Still learning the ins and outs of 7D focus issues for birds in the bush. BIF/sky are easy with the 7D - less frustration than the 40D, which otherwise is a fine camera.

Attachments

• Laughing Falcon.jpg
    Laughing Falcon.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 243
  • Roadside Hk.jpg
    Roadside Hk.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Fantastic set. The Kingfisher is especially stunning. Can't wait for the posts from Central America. :t:

Heres my 7d shot with the 400mm f5.6. its been well cropped. I just need to get out a bit more but I'm detailing my car at the moment.

Attachments

• whopper69x6.jpg
    whopper69x6.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 299
Wow, fantastic photos, especially the Kingfisher. :t: I can see why you think the 7D is Canon's best value, Michael. Post more photos, love to see the 7D in action.

Wow, fantastic photos, especially the Kingfisher. :t: I can see why you think the 7D is Canon's best value, Michael. Post more photos, love to see the 7D in action.

Thanks for your comment. Here's a few more BIF with the 7D, 400mm DO and 1.4X extender. Fantastic camera.

Attachments

• rtern10.jpg
    rtern10.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 202
  • sandhill18.jpg
    sandhill18.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 171
  • kingfisher1.jpg
    kingfisher1.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 184
  • mallard5.jpg
    mallard5.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 261
  • osprey11.jpg
    osprey11.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
I'm probably being uber-critical, but I don't think any of these are sharp.
Jonathan

Getting sharp images is not difficult. Just use a tripod and shoot a stationary bird closeup, in good dalylight and preferably have the sun behind your back. I read the DO lens is not one of Canon's sharpest, add an extender on top of that and the birds are in flight. Some of the images look at least partially backlit and far away. I agree with Roy, the last 2 look a bit soft, but all things considered, the images are very good and I am impressed with the 7D's capabilities.

Last edited:
Just thought I would post this buzzard with original and crop with the 7d + 400mm f5.6 taken to-day.

Attachments

• buzzorginal9x6.jpg
    buzzorginal9x6.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 147
  • buzzardfen29x6.jpg
    buzzardfen29x6.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 239
.but I was only trying to show cropabilty.......
In that case then maybe you have posted in the wrong thread ;) . As an example of the 7D's BIF capabilities I am afraid it does nothing for me to show up the camera in good light.

Last edited:
I think it might have blown the whites John...............but I was only trying to show cropabilty.......
Terry, I see you have used a manual exposure equivalent to "Sunny 16", so I doubt very much the whites were blown in the original capture. You probably had a pretty good ETTR capture going on there. Depending on your software options you might be able to add some fill, to brighten the shadow regions without harming the highlights - if you wanted to. :)

In that case then maybe you have posted in the wrong thread ;) . As an example of the 7D's BIF capabilities I am afraid it does nothing for me to show up the camera in good light.

Roy you never cease to amaze me, you are always trying to deride my posts, thanks for the comments tdodd..... I will still be posting....

Roy you never cease to amaze me, you are always trying to deride my posts
It was you who said 'but I was only trying to show cropabilty'. As this thread is about capturing BIF with the 7D and presumably how well the 7D's AF stands up to this then, yes, by your own admission you have posted in the wrong thread.
If you just wanted to show the 'cropabilty' then you could have found a more suitable 7D thread or started a new one on the subject of cropability.
As far as the pic itself goes, if you are happy with it then that's fine - we all have differing standards I guess.

I recently did some testing of the 7D for BIF.

The subjects were fulmars at a distance of 200M over a grey sea. Fast subjects over a similar background. The day was overcast. I was impressed with the AF and tracking capabilities of the camera. The keeper rate was probably around 75%.

I switched to the 1Diin and felt that the AF was faster for the initial pick up, but that they 7D tracked better over the sea. We are talking margins here, but 0.1 of a second is a lot. I did not time the differences and these differences could be caused by familiarity or settings that I have not investigated. The keeper rate from the 1D was probably around 60%.

I say probably because an Otter turned up and I formatted all my test cards to get as many shots as possible. Being able to switch to ISO1000+ on the 7D was a real bonus as the Otter was under a bridge, but that's for another thread.

So in summary. I felt the AF was good, and the tracking excellent under testing conditions.

It was you who said 'but I was only trying to show cropabilty'. As this thread is about capturing BIF with the 7D and presumably how well the 7D's AF stands up to this then, yes, by your own admission you have posted in the wrong thread.
If you just wanted to show the 'cropabilty' then you could have found a more suitable 7D thread or started a new one on the subject of cropability.
As far as the pic itself goes, if you are happy with it then that's fine - we all have differing standards I guess.

Another put down :C

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back