• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EF 100mm f2.8 L Macro IS USM Lens (1 Viewer)

Chris Galvin

The above Canon flagship macro lens is currently advertised with Tesco Direct at the incredible price of £499.97

Ordered mine let you know how it goes

Chris Galvin

I would be very careful here Chris, the lens pictured on Tesco Direct website is the pre IS 100m Macro, although they also advertise the pre IS 100mm Macro for £469. I have had problems with Tesco Direct before, they were advertising EF-S lenses as fitting any Canon EOS camera. I did receive a very nice email from them when i pointed out the error of their ways, but they still get a lot wrong when advertising camera stuff.

Last edited:
Thanks Stephen.

I noticed that that the image is not of the correct lens, but the features and details are of the IS lens. My receipt also states that it is the L series IS lens. If IS does not arrive then the lens will go back unopened, as it is is not the item as described.

Thanks Stephen.

I noticed that that the image is not of the correct lens, but the features and details are of the IS lens. My receipt also states that it is the L series IS lens. If IS does not arrive then the lens will go back unopened, as it is is not the item as described.

I sincerely hope it is as advertised, if so its a brilliant bargain, and well done for spotting it.

Not in the same bargain league as the lens Chris has ordered but Tesco's price on the 580ex II is pretty good as well.

indeed ~£60 less than the best on camerapricebuster. I'm just trying to convince myself that I don't need another one... couldn't resist taking a punt on the macro though.

I have been holding off buying this lens till April hoping it would fall in price, but at £499 I would buy one, I have just been onto Tesco Direct to check in there Warehouse and confirm on the box that its is the EF 100mm f2.8 L Macro IS USM Lens and not the EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM Lens, I await the phone call back

EDIT It comes direct from Canon, so maybe you will get the correct lens.............

Last edited:
I rarely use my macro lens (Canon 100 non IS) in fact I cannot remember the last time I used it But at this price the new IS version is very tempting I must admit LOL.

It looks like Tesco Direct have now realised their mistake with an apology that the price in the catalogue is incorrect, it would be interesting to know whether they honour the orders made before they realised.
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-4718.aspx

Heres the get out in their conditions if its dispatched you might get it
------------------------------------------------------------------
If, by mistake, we have under priced an item, we will not be liable to supply that item to you at the stated price, provided that we notify you before we despatch the item to you. In those circumstances, we will notify the correct price to you so you can decide whether or not you wish to order the item at that price. If you decide not to order the item, we will give you a full refund on any amount already paid for that item in accordance with our refund policy in section 7 below.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
They're not honouring them - they just called me and cancelled my order. I don't even get to keep the clubcard points.....
Gutted, I was really looking forward to it. Not that the Sigma 150mm is a bad lense, but the Canon sounds better.

kerso was doing it for £679 + postage in 2nd week Feb but his prices change on a weekly basis according to the $ £ rate, I think Vat might be going up come April by 1% not going to make alot of difference, not got the phone call yet form Tesco, think I will sit and wait for the price to go down in the next 6 weeks. I still have my trusty Sigma 150mm f2.8, would not sell it anyway to good of a lens.

That's shoddy on their behalf.

If it makes anyone feel any better I have tried the Canon 100mm and the Sigma 150mm and ended up getting the Sigma as the 100 was just to short for most macro with stuff that can move off.

Still a bit of a bugger.

I was thinking the same thing Marcus, if the price of the Canon 100mm macro is was as Tesco direct quoted I may have been tempted but may be better of with the Sigma 180mm macro which is about the same price as the misquoted Canon.

That's shoddy on their behalf.

If it makes anyone feel any better I have tried the Canon 100mm and the Sigma 150mm and ended up getting the Sigma as the 100 was just to short for most macro with stuff that can move off.

Still a bit of a bugger.

Marcus, did you also consider Sigma's 180mm macro? It is currently cheaper than the 150 macro at Warehouse Express. I can't decide which to go for to complement my 100-400zoom.

I could try the zoom with tubes in order to get closer, but I'm not sure if it will be sharp enough compared to a true macro. The 300f4 is another option for larger bugs. Like you, I'm also concerned that working distance should be around a metre or perhaps a little less, to avoid spooking the subject.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back