• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help which way to go (1 Viewer)

Boogie

Help I have just started taking bird photos, I know me equipment is not top of the range but it's what i got. I have a 400D with a Sigma DC 18-201:3.5-6.3 lens I realise I need to upgrade if I am going to take shots like I have seen here. What is the best way to go (I don't have a fortune to spend)
This is the latest pic I have taken
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5748711/IMG_9464.JPG

The 400d is perfectly capable of taking excellent Bird pics with a decent length lens.Could you give us some idea of your budget so we can point you in the right direction.

The very max I would say £500 but at a push up to £700

My choice at that budget would be to try and pick up a good secondhand Canon 400mm F5.6L prime. I took many of the photo's in my gallery with the EOS400D and the 400mm prime and was more than pleased with the results achieved by this combination. Whilst the 400mm prime would be very much at the top end of your 'squeezed' budget I do not think you would regret it!

Good Luck,

Chris

My choice at that budget would be to try and pick up a good secondhand Canon 400mm F5.6L prime. I took many of the photo's in my gallery with the EOS400D and the 400mm prime and was more than pleased with the results achieved by this combination. Whilst the 400mm prime would be very much at the top end of your 'squeezed' budget I do not think you would regret it!

Good Luck,

Chris

Agree, but you'd have to be a bit lucky to get one for that price (though not impossible). A pretty good alternative could be a Tamron 200-500.

Thomas

Add to that the Sigma EX 50-500mm zoom that I use and you have three perfectly capable lenses for Bird photography within your budget.The 400mm Canon is the best optically but you are losing 100mm (about 2x magnification) and to get one within your budget would be very lucky but not impossible.

Thank you for your input, you have all given me a lot to think about.Could I use a Canon Extender EF 2x II to help for the time being, or is this a fools economy.

Thank you for your input, you have all given me a lot to think about.Could I use a Canon Extender EF 2x II to help for the time being, or is this a fools economy.

To be honest even on a high end prime lens you will lose some image quality let alone a zoom with the 2x extender.I use a Kenko pro 1.4x with the 50-500 and get some decent results but again you are better of putting the money towards one of the lenses mentioned IMO.

Or there's a Sigma 80-400 OS at MPB for just £450. Not sure how good that lens is, but it's a nice price for 400mm and image satbilisation.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back