• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Travel with camera in USA (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
This is aimed at anyone who travels to the USA with a camera and laptop.

With the new ban which which means checking in laptops and which one airline yesterday told me includes cameras , what provision if any, is being made over there for the safe stowing of laptops and camera equipment? Are insurers coming in line with this to cover equipment?

We were thinking of doing a West Coast trip next year but that won't happen if the ban is extended to the UK as suggested it will be, my wife has a lot of equipment and a Mac which we will not trust to the hold.

A

Last edited:
Only applies to flights from seven countries, not including any from Europe ...so far. Laptop ban under consideration for UK flights.

I was reading an article on a booking website last night that this ban, including for cameras, is coming next to the UK.

A

May well happen, but UK also imposed similar ban in the immediate days after the first American ban on seven countries, so if they follow likewise, it won't matter if you're planning the West Coast of the USA or sunny Spain, electronics will be in the hold.

If I understand it correctly, the lenses could be still carried as hand luggage?

Probably or possibly or maybe not. Most lens have electronics, motors, etc, so not entirely sure ... seems to be no official comment on this, so might be done to the opinion of the airport official checking you at security.

As for a West Coast trip to the USA in 2018 – its completely hypothetical as to what the rules will be at that time. Personally I’d travel with what ever equipment I’d be willing to lose to theft or confiscation. You have to evaluate the cost of your airline tickets against the cost of the equipment. If they deny your gear, are you willing to give up your seats on the flight?

In my personal situation, my older gear certainly. If wealthy, the sky is the limit.

Buy insurance. Assume that your camera will be cargo, so use a Pelican case. Put a TSA lock on the case with a plastic cable strap. Put additional cable straps in the case for security to use as replacements – with a polite note to replace the cable strap if cut off. You’ll be able to count how many times your case was opened – maybe.

Record your serial numbers and take a photo of the contents of the case.

Assuming all goes well, put your head between your knees and hope for the best.

Wouldn't consider putting my camera stuff in the hold (and it's not a mega expensive set-up either) so choice would be simply go somewhere else or not take camera equipment! Actually second option is not that bad as bound to see more birds if I spend less time trying to take piccies, plus sods law will dictate that the birds will show down to about 10ft and the light will be brilliant. ;)

Nick

May well happen, but UK also imposed similar ban in the immediate days after the first American ban on seven countries, so if they follow likewise, it won't matter if you're planning the West Coast of the USA or sunny Spain, electronics will be in the hold.

That will massively affect baggage allowance quota plus there will have to be changes to insurance, both personal and airline liability.

Insurance companies will have to start covering items that are forced to be carried in the hold and this will raise premiums considerably I'd think?

A

I'm late to the discussion, but have you considered rental of photo gear for the time of your stay in the US? I know that Adorama in New York City rents equipment http://www.adoramarentals.com/ and I am sure there are sources for the west coast as well. I have purchased used lenses from them and found them to be top notch.

I have been worrying about this myself as I brought my Canon 7Dmkii and assortment of lenses including 100-400mm lens when I came to China this time. I've been concerned that I won't be able to carry it on with me when I do return to the US sometime in the next few years. I definitively would not expect to ever see my gear again if it were checked in for a flight out of China or at the very best to have it damaged beyond repair.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back