• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

User report, Kowa Genesis 8x33 (1 Viewer)

This is a Kowa thread, and it has detracted into a Swarovision, mostly rollingball discussion.

I do think Swarovski, did things very right with the Swarovision. Great optics, and widely
tested, most everyone delights with the great view with this binocular.

Why are you on this thread?

For the experts who have recently posted, who have no experience with either, take it to the Swaro. subforum.

Jerry

Jerry, sorry about my part in that. To do what you say in this case and most others I'd need to start a thread, copy the last post or more from the current, then proceed. Afraid not up to it, so from now spot on or silence! PS Removed just now my post standing last in another thread, intended to be helpful but a potential tangent!

Last edited:
Copied from another thread

daveman asks:
"Hi, can I ask how your kowa compares with the ELs, these are the two I have been thinking of getting, the ELs are a bit more expensive I was wondering if they are worth the extra money, the Kowas always seem to get very good reviews, thanks, (very good review) David."

Oetzi answers:
"For me personally, the differences betwen Kowa Genesis and Swaro EL are that the Kowa fits my eyes better than the Swaro and also is on the affordable side. That is of major influence for me.

However, when using both side by side, these were the differences I noticed.
Swaro sharp edge to edge, Kowa for about 80%.

Kowa shows more details in the shadows, they are not so dark as with Swaro.

No CA with the Kowa, very little with the Swaro.

Colours are a bit more neutral (without turning blueish) in the Swaro than in the Kowa. But this was only noticeable when doing the paper test.

Better micro-contrast with the Kowa, showing very fine detail it had the edge. The Swaro, on the other hand, was a bit brighter and showed more overall contrast. This was evident on those dark,monochrome winter days where everything is lacking contrast.

If you can manage the higher price of the Swaro, try both and choose what you feel most comfortable with. The differences mentioned are so miniscule as to be not relevant.

I definitley dont regret having bought the Kowa Genesis 8x33, but right now I am collecting my pennies for not having to return the Swaro, because I want it, too. It has a prsonality of its own and eveyrtime I use it I go "whow!". Then I take the Kowa and "whow", too.

With the thumscrews turned really hard, I would say: For me personally, the Swarowski is optically better and the Kowa feels better."

Last edited:
Hello,

about 4 months ago i decided to go for the Kowa Genesis 8x33.

After i recieved them, i tried them in many enviroments (open landcapes, dense and more open woodland, lakes, mountains etc.), and also in comparison with my 8x42 FL.

All in considered, i am very happy with them, optically they are excellent (sharpness wise, crystal clear view, bright, good depth of field and large field of view), on par with my Zeiss pair.
They have slightly bigger depth of field and fov than Zeiss, sharpness is equal, they have a neutral color in the view which i really like.
The metal focusing wheel is smooth and fast. The construction is very good and they feel very sturdy and quality made.

Even in low light conditions, they are still very bright, especially for a 8x32 class.

Yesterday i tested them again in a dense wood, with my FLs. The tree bark looked a bit brighter with the FL (which is logical with it's 42mm diameter lenses), but still the difference was not big.
In very late afternoon (dusk), the FLs are brighter, but still the Genesis provide a good view.
FLs provide a more relaxing prologned view compared with the Genesis for some reason (probably because of the 42mm lenses diameter?), but not that better to prefer them in daily use. Both are excellent pairs, the Genesis is lighter and more comfortable to carry all day long, on long hiking etc.

The whole summer i was using the Genesis. I had my FLs with me a couple of times (mostly do compare them in different occasions) but i was always using the Genesis.
They could cover me in every occasion (habitat, time of day) so i prefered to keep on my neck the lighter and smaller pair.

Now, i am thinking to sell my FL either to save the money, or to take an other pair format (7x42, 10x50) or the Steiner Discovery 8x44 because i prefered its ergonomics and handling agianst my FL.
In one side i am thinking that i had it for more than 7 years? and i feel a bit sorry to sell them, on the other hand i am thinking that i should not keep 2 pairs since i don't use them now or take an other format with the money i will get (an other format or the Steiners..) I still have to think about it and still have to find where to sell them (as it is very difficult in Greece nowadays).

George

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back