• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is the most faultless binocular brand/model? (1 Viewer)

laika

I wonder what is the most faultless binocular brand or model? I have been reading some american optics site,and some guys often says that Swarovsi bins are more exposed to failures as fogging. And that Leica has least failures.One guy who says he has inside information wrote:"..the Swaro's EL are known to corrode over time and loose their nitrogen charge"
I suspect this to be only rumours.

I've always found people who've had 7 x 42 Zeiss love them. I used them for 13 years incl very hot places, very cold places, very dry places and also in the tropics - once for two years). They are still mechanically excellent, in very good shape still and perform very well optically. Many of the newer bins haven't been round long enough yet for an objective view on their ruggedness in the field.......
I expect the Leica 8 x32 have a good record?
And yes I've heard of the fogging in the Swarovskis. I mentioned before a friend's had three pairs fog in Peru.

Fogging in Swarovskis?...dear oh dear....you can buy a Rolls, but run it over a nail and it'll still get a flat tyre!

;)

JP

I wonder what the difference in air pressure is up in those mountains that Tim's friend was in. A bit of research and some math, as well as some data from the manufacturers about maximum depth under water, might or might not explain that fogging. How many pounds per sq inch difference when you go underwater 10 feet compared to climbing in the atmosphere 5000 ft?

Art Thorn said:
I wonder what the difference in air pressure is up in those mountains that Tim's friend was in. A bit of research and some math, as well as some data from the manufacturers about maximum depth under water, might or might not explain that fogging. How many pounds per sq inch difference when you go underwater 10 feet compared to climbing in the atmosphere 5000 ft?

final time was going from Puerto Maldonado (0m) to about 4,000m in 24 hours

would that explain it Art?

My guess is that it will, Tim. Just out of curiosity I'm going to look up some numbers. I'll have an answer in a day or two.

I have had a Swarovski Classic 7x42GA since 1990 (sold it last year) and have never had single problem with it.I used it in all sorts of weather and dropped it to the ground several times.

laika said:
I wonder what is the most faultless binocular brand or model?

I bought my Zeiss 10x40b Dialyt's in 1983. They have been my constant companion ever since. They truly are like an old mate and I could never part with them. They now are very worn but optically excellent.

Had a look through the new Leica 8x42's a few day's ago...wonderful! Wanted to buy them but what's the point...if it aint broke!

I wonder who has got the oldest pair of bins that are still in regular use within our forum?...I'm sure my pair of 1983 Zeiss are just whippersnappers compared to some out there.

John Barclay

john barclay said:
I bought my Zeiss 10x40b Dialyt's in 1983. They have been my constant companion ever since. They truly are like an old mate and I could never part with them. They now are very worn but optically excellent.
Exactly my feelings about the Leitz Trinovid 10x40s I bought in '86! But let's not start that old war again! ;)

Jason

john barclay said:
laika said:
I wonder what is the most faultless binocular brand or model?

I wonder who has got the oldest pair of bins that are still in regular use within our forum?...I'm sure my pair of 1983 Zeiss are just whippersnappers compared to some out there.

John Barclay

My old DDR Zeiss Jena's are still on the go. They've been dropped, scratched, drowned, coated with endless falling sandwich fillings and now reside under my seat in the car. Those lenses have picked out some good birds in their time and were certainly built to last....despite the fact that they are about as light as a house-brick.

JP

Tim Allwood said:

would that explain it Art?
I found a number of approximate formulas relating pressure to ft above sea level and ft below the surface. The pressure difference at 4000 meters amounts to about 9 lbs/sq in (inside and outside the binocular, if it doesn't lose it's seal). That is equivalent, approximately, to taking it 13 ft under water (what are binoculars rated at?). Of course the pressure differentials are in opposite directions and the seals may have been designed to operate one way better than the other. So it is quite possible that any binocular taken to 4000 meters will lose air/nitrogen (or blow up?? what is the surface area of a binocular multiplied by 9 lbs/sq in?). So on the trip back down, new moist air goes back inside.
Fun thinking about it!

Have just changed from Zeiss 7x42 to Leica 8x42 ultravids.Had the 7x42s for 15 years they were still in very good condition,dont somehow think the Leica bins will be as robust as the Zeiss and in such good condition in 15 years time.But opictally they are suberb and handle very well.

My old 1976-vintage Zeiss 10x40 Dialyts are not a patch on modern optics for light-gathering but they are superbly engineered - the focus-wheel, for instance, is still as smooth in operation as the day I bought them

My early 1970 Jenoptem 10x50s were at the time excellent until i could buy the Leitz 8x40b trinovid again in the 1970s,which did me well and i still have these,but now have the Swarovoski El 8.5 x 42,in between having a pair of Bush and Lomb and 10x40 pair of Leicas.I have to say for me the Swaro bins are the best I have ever owned,but having said that I would trade the lot in for a good pair of eyes and make do with a cheap pair of bins.

John

Quick vote for my Leica 8x42BA which were loose in my car as it rolled down a bank last year and were found outside in the field afterwards. The armouring is slightly grazed in places but otherwise they are as terrific as ever.

I fell off a cliff ... yes silly me... wearing a pair for Zeiss 10x40 Dialyts. I got a compression fracture in a prism...but they still worked. Unfortunately my cruciate ligament didn't!

Tim Allwood said:

Hi, my name is Dalcio and I justed joined Birdforum. This experience is of interest to me because something similar happened to a friend of mine, his binoculars where the new waterproof Swifts (a Us brand). Howeveer he suspects that it might have been the flight from Lima to Cuzco that damaged his binos since when he was boarding an airline employee yanked his carry-on (with binos and camera) and puit it in the unpressurized luggage compartment. Since the plane would have gone above 10000 m this would have caused an even greater pressure differential accros the sealed lens.
So my question is: did your friend fly up from Puerto Maldonado or did he go by land?

Thanks, Dalcio

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back